New Pool with Zero CYA - Should I add Stabilizer before closing for winter?

gjpatt

Sep 1, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Our AGP was installed 2 weeks ago and my new TF-Pro kit is showing zero CYA. Should I get this up before closing for the winter? I probably only have ~2 weeks left in our season.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, you should add stabilizer. Without it, the chlorine is exponentially stronger and you don't want that on the liner. We recommend a minimum CYA or 30. Some CYA may degrade over the winter, and some may disappear during your closing process and/or snow/rain accumulations, but a CYA in the 30-40 range should do well.

Reactions: gjpatt
Below just in case you haven't already seen it. Also be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page.

Reactions: gjpatt
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, you should add stabilizer. Without it, the chlorine is exponentially stronger and you don't want that on the liner. We recommend a minimum CYA or 30. Some CYA may degrade over the winter, and some may disappear during your closing process and/or snow/rain accumulations, but a CYA in the 30-40 range should do well.
Thank you! I'll go pick up some stabilizer and dig up an old sock!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.