New Pool & Spa Owner

svho

Dec 14, 2022
New Zealand
Hi everyone

We just got a concrete plastered pool installed. (Edit by Jim R.)

We have a tiled spa too.

It's my first time owning a pool and I am hoping to do the chemicals myself. I have learned everything I can from the 5 weeks of valets we have had.

Anyway, this forum seems like a great source of info.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP!

There are a few similar systems, but we strongly recommend against them. They are unsafe because they do not protect bathers from pathogens in the water. In the US, it’s illegal to advertise such systems as reducing the need for chlorine. My understanding was that the Australia government had cracked down even harder.

Bottom line is that they are not an alternative to chlorine and have a strong chance of permanently staining your new pool. A SWCG is a much better option.

In Australia, this is the requirement from the APVMA: “Copper- and silver-ion-based sanitisers are necessarily used in conjunction with oxidisers, usually either chlorine or one or more of the peroxygen compounds.” Which makes them useless. Chlorine alone will control both pathogens and algae.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There are a few similar systems, but we strongly recommend against them. They are unsafe because they do not protect bathers from pathogens in the water. In the US, it’s illegal to advertise such systems as reducing the need for chlorine. My understanding was that the Australia government had cracked down even harder.

Bottom line is that they are not an alternative to chlorine and have a strong chance of permanently staining your new pool. A SWCG is a much better option.
Interesting - thanks! They are very popular here. It's too late now for other options, will see how I get on haha!

SVHO!!!! Welcome to TFP!! :swim:

It's too late now for other options, will see how I get on haha!
I would encourage you to reconsider. I can't tell you the number of individuals that have come here with a copper or silver ionizer with staining problems. You have made a large investment in you pool, I would hate to see you end up with a new pool that is stained. There is no reason you can't remove it. Some fodder for you:

I can't tell you the number of individuals that have come here with a copper or silver ionizer with staining problems. You have made a large investment in you pool, I would hate to see you end up with a new pool that is stained. There is no reason you can't remove it. Some fodder for you:
Is it possible to remove copper stains? From a brief search I just had online, it appears so. Also, I seems I just need to keep my pH levels down?

Is it possible to remove copper stains? From a brief search I just had online, it appears so. Also, I seems I just need to keep my pH levels down?
I would posit this. If you eliminate the source of the problem, the problem disappears.

To accept the problem and figure out a solution to the problem, that solves it but doesn't eliminate it, is false economy.

Trouble Free Pool. Eliminate the source of the problem.

May be a hard pill to swallow. Just speaking from the 100s/1000s of pool owners that come here with these problems. I'm old enough to remember FRAM commercials for car oil filters in 1972. "Pay me know or pay me later." Fix it now and avoid the problems later, and the time, $$ and aggravation to fix it later.