New Pool Setup

I'd imagine most people run their pumps too long, and 12 hours seems like it may be a bit much. But there's no black or white answer. Check out the article below and see if it helps. Feel free to follow up with questions.

Reactions: Itsmejson
So ran my 2nd test today:
IMG_1450.jpeg

per the poolmath app I added:
- 35 fl oz 10% bleach
- 15 oz Clorox stabilizer

My question is once I do this I would need to run another run another physical test to reflect the changes? Meaning the logs of adding chemicals are not updated live in the summary screen until another test is performed?

I plan to add muriatic acid tomorrow to work on PH so that the bleach and stabilizer work its way through the system.

Will test FC again this morning. Appreciate both of your help.

Update:
tested FC and it’s back to 5. Seems my PH went down after adding stabilizer & chlorine do these items effect PH?

Last edited:
Can someone clarify CYA testing for me? I think I have been reading the line incorrectly. How I've been recording my level is I fill the CYA tub to say 50 & I barely see the dot so then I fill to 40 where it disappears. Since it disappeared at 40 that is where I log CYA. Should I have recorded my log at 40 or 50?

I just added more stabilizer which I think will now push me even higher than 50 if I was supposed to round up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is a non linear scale. So it is not reasonable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Reactions: Itsmejson
When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is a non linear scale. So it is not reasonable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....
Thanks for confirming. You have confirmed that I have tested incorrectly. I've been filling to each line and then recording the line I do not see the dot at and not rounding up. So I see it at 50, fill again to 40 where I don't see it and record 40. So looks like at my next CYA test I'll most likely be 60.

I have been doing the CYA in a controlled environment in my master bathroom so there is no variance in lighting.