New Pool Owner (Spa and Pool mode reversed)

kohlzor

Apr 25, 2020
Shrewsbury, MA
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi All,
Happy to be here and already making use of the forms to do my research!

We purchased a house with a Gunite Saltwater pool for the kids :) I have never owned a pool before and we just had it opened.
The folks that opened it were not too familiar with all the equipment especially the Iaualink controllers. The pool also has a spa attachment.
I am running into a few issues:
- When in Pool mode the spa jets seems to be on or spa filters?
- When is Spa mode the Pool filter pump turns on
- When I select Spillover mode it drains the spa
- When I go to the outside panel and put it in service mode and hit Spa drain it fills the SPA

Looks like everything is reversed? The issue is when I just want to run the filter pump it only works if I turn on SPA mode and not sure how the heating is working in this situation.
Suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting? The previous owners used the pool consistently so kind of surprised with these issues.

Pictures:

Please let me know if this is the wrong section for this post!

Thanks!

K,

Your Automated Intake and Return valves need to be reset.. On the back of each actuator there is a little switch.. On-Off-On.. It will be set to an on position.. To reverse the operation, just move the switch from where it is to the other on position.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: kohlzor
Hey Jim,
Would this be on both of the actuators that move between the modes? As the picture shows only two of them move when switching between the two modes should I be looking to move the switch on both of those?

Attachments

• NNcklMm.jpg
    NNcklMm.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 13
K,

When switching between the Pool and Spa mode, two actuators should move.. (Intake and Return valves).. Basically they need to be set up like this..

Pool mode... The Intake valve sucks water from the pool (Skimmer/Main Drain) and sends it through the pump, filter , heater and then back through the Return valve to the pool eyeballs.

Spa mode... The Intake valve sucks water from the Spa drains and sends it through the pump, filter , heater and then back through the Return valve to the spa jets.

I would set both valves and see how they work.. You may or may not have to set one of them again.

The automation does not know where the valves are.. It just "assumes" the valves are where they should be.. The little switch is so you can move it where it needs to be.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

That worked great had to play with the switches to get them right but now the spa and pool mode seem to be operating correctly. Thanks for the advice :)

Would you happen to know the difference between Spa and Spa mode? The previous owners had it set to run spa from 4-11 PM and spillover from 12-1. But there is also a spa mode setting which threw me off. Pictures attached.

They also had a iAquaLink wifi controller and IR controller switch in the house assuming I can probably get the app to work by resetting WiFi but that’s a secondary concern.

K,

I only know of three modes... Pool mode, Spa mode, and Spillover mode. The only way to tell what the odd one is, is it select it and see what happens.. It may be spa mode without heat and spa mode with heat.???

Glad you got it working.

Spillover mode... The Intake valve sucks water from the Pool and sends it through the pump, filter , heater and then back through the Return valve to the spa jets. Water going in and having no place to go will spillover into the pool... You would not normally have the heater on in the spillover mode...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kohlzor,
Looks pretty. Do not run that spillover when not in the pool. The spillover will cause the PH to keep riding high.
Ah ok they had it on a daily schedule for one hour in the afternoon guess I could delete that program. I thought it was used to rotate the water from the spa and ensure it goes through the filter everyday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
K,

I only know of three modes... Pool mode, Spa mode, and Spillover mode. The only way to tell what the odd one is, is it select it and see what happens.. It may be spa mode without heat and spa mode with heat.???

Glad you got it working.

Spillover mode... The Intake valve sucks water from the Pool and sends it through the pump, filter , heater and then back through the Return valve to the spa jets. Water going in and having no place to go will spillover into the pool... You would not normally have the heater on in the spillover mode...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Will test I only noticed as the spa setting is on a daily schedule and I saw the spa turn on it’s own. Will spillover take care of rotating water between spa and pool to keep spa water clean?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.