New Pool Owner, Need Help in sequence for correcting Levels

PTizzle

Jul 10, 2019
Dayton, OH
Hello Everyone. We bought a new house this year and it came with a pool. Due to other house items that came first we opened the pool very late and in turn it has been rough. Before I found this site I was working with a local pool company to help get it clear, which it is still not. It is cloudy still and can't see to the bottom of the deep end.

Finally found this place and need some help getting on the right track. Below are my latest test results (TF-100 kit). I need help determining which levels to work on first so the others don't counteract each other. My main goal is to be able to potentially SLAM the pool to help get it clear. Any advice on what to attack first would be so helpful. Tired of just throwing away money on chemicals. I have a IG Vinyl pool roughly 30,000 gallons. Use a Sand Filter and have a Hayward 1HP pump.

Test Results:
FC - 0.5
CC- 0.5
pH -6.8
TA - 130
CH - 150
CYA - 0

Put the CYA in a sock like you wear and put it in front of a return. You can/should also squeeze the sock to help it dissolve. Don't test it until it is all dissolved + a full day or night of the pump running to mix it in good. Act as if you DO already have the targeted CYA when you are finding your SLAM level for the FC.

Kim:kim:

So pool math says I need 8 lbs of stabilizer. Will need a couple socks to achieve that. Do I put all 8 lbs in socks at once or just fill one sock with as much as possible and once it dissolves add more?
Depends. If you are putting them in the skimmer, then you might need to do one at a time. If you are hanging in front of a return, you can probably do both socks at once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the advice so far. CYA is at 40 now and working through the SLAM process. Can see the bottom of the deep end finally. I wanted to add DE to my sand filter to help clear up some.of the remaining items quicker. I think I bought the wrong thing once it came I got the HTH DE filter aid. Will this work.or I should return it.

That is the right stuff! Good job! Make sure you can be there for a few hours to "babysit" the filter and your pressure gauge is working. Put in 1/4 cup (pour it into the skimmer with the pump running). Wait about 30 or so to see if the pressure goes up. Keep adding it d1/4 cup at a time until you get a slight pressure rise. Now if the pressure shoots up turn the pump off and and do a backwash/rinse cycle to get some of the DE out.

Thanks Kim. Added and looking good. So the water is looking pretty clear. I tried the overnight FC loss since it was clear and CC was 0.5 but lost more than 1. I might try again tonight. However, I think sand is coming into the pool. I vaccum this stuff everyday and it comes back in this same amount and spot everyday. I dont think it's algea. It's brownish and instantly spreads if I try to brush it. Could the sand filter have an issue? Would this eat up my chlorine overnight also?

If it does not go "poof" when you try to brush it then it very well could be sand.................The laterals could be cracked or some such. If you want to take out the sand you can put it in a big wheel barrow and you can really do a good cleaning of it. Then you will be able to inspect all of the filter parts then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.