New Pool Owner in North Florida

You have the bigger version of the filter I have. Had it rained recently, or is it leaking about the handle? I fixed that leak less than a year ago, so it's fresh in my mind how to do it.
We’ve gotten a good bit of rain the last couple of days. I’ll keep an eye on it though just to be sure that’s what it is

Then it’s what we have to work with (y)

Maybe alternate between the scooping and the vac-ing. Both methods will ultimately stir the crud up into the water to be killed by the SLAM. Whatever make it out in the net is a bonus.

@wireform, @mknauss, @jtpipkin what’s our consensus?
No matter your decision, just keep after it. Keep scooping the debris, adding chlorine, learn the app (I know it seems like a lot, but I promise it'll make more sense every day). You'll start to see results and this process will blow your mind. It really is simple and with repetition, it'll become second nature. It scared most of us at first, now it's like breathing. We do it and don't even think about it.
PS - Elliott -> Earnhardt -> Jr. -> Chase! Go 9! (but I love Hamlin too ;) )

Hamlin,
The more organics you remove the faster the pool will come around. Only 2 things for now chemical wise, get ph to 7.2 and have enough bleach /chlorine for the slam process as it'll need quite a bit. The rest can wait till the pool is almost cleared up. This is a process and learning curve in one but you'll pick up very fast with good understanding how pools work. Come back with all your questions. Stay out of pool stores because they don't know/ understand what TFP members here know. I think you should get the tf100XL because you're going to go through more regents then the norm for now.
Here is an update after a big dump of chlorine last night. Planning on adding more today and scooping more debris from the bottom.

Attachments

• 0BF00835-D9A3-45A7-BDD7-45585374067D.jpeg
    0BF00835-D9A3-45A7-BDD7-45585374067D.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not much tonight. Unless you want to practice the TA, PH and CH of your tap water. We know the pool FC is high and that makes the PH test invalid (over a FC of 10).

You really need sunlight for the CYA test and this is the critical first test. It will give you your SLAM target for FC.

For each test just use the big lamentated card. Don't scan the whole thing, it will seem overwhelming. Pick one test and focus just on what it says, one step at a time. The steps are super easy by themselves. By the 3rd or 4th try it will seem like you've always done them.

Reactions: Durangler
Also, for any of the drop tests, the bottle needs to be straight upside down. Squeeze gently and let the drops fall by themselves. These 2 will greatly help your consistency.

Not much tonight. Unless you want to practice the TA, PH and CH of your tap water. We know the pool FC is high and that makes the PH test invalid (over a FC of 10).

You really need sunlight for the CYA test and this is the critical first test. It will give you your SLAM target for FC.

For each test just use the big lamentated card. Don't scan the whole thing, it will seem overwhelming. Pick one test and focus just on what it says, one step at a time. The steps are super easy by themselves. By the 3rd or 4th try it will seem like you've always done them.
Was definitely planning on waiting until tomorrow! Will start with the CYA test tomorrow

Reactions: Newdude

Just did my CYA test and it came out to 85

just did my CYA test and it came out to 85
So we round that up to 90. You will need to drain 2/3 of your water to bring that down to 30. Then you will only have to clear the algae in the other third. You will need to always leave 1 ft of water in the shallow end to keep the liner in place so it may take a couple of smaller drains.

What is your local story with where the water goes ? Can it be drained ? Is fill water cheap ?

So we round that up to 90. You will need to drain 2/3 of your water to bring that down to 30. Then you will only have to clear the algae in the other third. You will need to always leave 1 ft of water in the shallow end to keep the liner in place so it may take a couple of smaller drains.

What is your local story with where the water goes ? Can it be drained ? Is fill water cheap ?
I’ll have to see on where the water goes. If you’re talking about the same way with a backwash it goes straight into the yard so I can’t dump that much water there. I’ll also have to see about fill water

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.