New Pool Owner in North Florida

I don't recommend vacuuming blindly as the unknown is lurking on the pool bottom. The next problem could be a rock that managed to get by the vac head and get jammed in the plumbing on the way to the filter. Get This and This along with This. It'll make life much easier because It'll catch the junk in the canister. You also need a short hose along with this setsetup go between port and the canister.

The next problem could be a rock that managed to get by the vac head and get jammed in the plumbing on the way to the filter
The skimmer basket would catch it. It could very well get jammed up in the hose though. Worth the risk there to me.

However said rock could tear the liner if it was sharp and pushed to hard. So there’s that too.

The more I think about it, there could be anything down there. Sharp shells dropped from seagulls, the # 2 Phillips that the pool guy dropped, knives that the neighborhood kids were throwing in the pool when nobody was around and they used it as a hangout spot....

But pushing the vac or the leaf rake will exert similar forces with the same result. Either way you’ll be tired and sloppy on the 50th try.

But the water won’t clear enough to see the bottom unless the crud is gone and the FC can be used by only the water and not get wasted on the crud.

Dangit now I’ve gone and @Dirk ed myself:crazy:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is exactly what I have
Then it’s what we have to work with (y)

Maybe alternate between the scooping and the vac-ing. Both methods will ultimately stir the crud up into the water to be killed by the SLAM. Whatever make it out in the net is a bonus.

@wireform, @mknauss, @jtpipkin what’s our consensus?

Reactions: jtpipkin
You need to remove the large organic debris without damaging the liner.
that can be challenging without visibility.
Hopefully add the 5 ppm of FC per day now will help kick start things.

Reactions: Newdude
PoolMath
The above App will do all your calculations, test data storage, etc. Consider subscribing to it.

A gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will add 10 ppm FC to a 10000 gallon pool. So add 1.5 gallons of 10% LC to your pool every day, evening is best, until you get your test kit.

Here are some alternatives. You could install a leaf catcher on your vac hose near or above the surface (if you're using the skimmer port) such that you can watch its progress, watch when it gets full. It would stop anything large getting into the plumbing.

I'm pointing you to leaf canisters, not the other things that might show up on that page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.