New pool owner in Canada

Scale will typically start at the water line. So if you see white deposits, that is scale.

I would not add chemicals without proper testing.

Well, it failed the OCLT. FC dropped to 18ppm. I thought with such a change in water clarity that it was done. Algae are sneaky.

Is it possible to save on reagents by doing the FAS-DPD test with 10mL pool water mixed with 30mL chlorine-free water? So now to get the final ppm I would multiply the number of drops by 2 (4*0.5)?

Question for @mknauss: If the OP wants an alternate way to test for pH (understanding that scale is the only real issue). Is it feasible to take a bucket of water from the pool, leave it in the sun to reduce FC to 10 or less, then test for pH? Same water but FC naturally reduced.

Edit: I just saw your post 20 mentioning to not bother as well except for scale, but just curious.

Question for @mknauss: If the OP wants an alternate way to test for pH (understanding that scale is the only real issue). Is it feasible to take a bucket of water from the pool, leave it in the sun to reduce FC to 10 or less, then test for pH? Same water but FC naturally reduced.

Edit: I just saw your post 20 mentioning to not bother as well except for scale, but just curious.
hmm --- can try it.
If you are quick in reading the pH value. Real quick. It normally is pretty accurate the first couple seconds after adding the reagent. Then it darkens.

hmm --- can try it.
If you are quick in reading the pH value. Real quick. It normally is pretty accurate the first couple seconds after adding the reagent. Then it darkens.
Video it on your phone right after shaking. Then you can look at any color progression.

Reactions: Pperc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Error will get pretty high

Yes. I understand that the error of the test is +/- 1 drop and should scale linearly. So the normal method error is +/- 0.5ppm. Testing with 5mL would be +/- 1ppm and testing with diluted 40mL would be +/- 2ppm.

+/- 2ppm at the shock level I'm expecting (20ppm) is 10%

Is my math correct?

My understanding is that precision necessary for the OCLT. For maintaining shock levels for the SLAM, 10% error should be fine, correct?

After almost 2 weeks of SLAMming, my pool has finally passed the OCLT. I've gone to mustard shock level. I know it's probably not necessary but since I'm already close figured it can't hurt.

I'm bothered by the fact that I continue to get what I think is dead algae on the bottom. I've been vacuuming almost every other day and have cleaned by filter 3 times now.

I've taken the lights out and scrubbed inside the hole. I've scrubbed the light housings. I still haven't put the ladder in so no opportunity for algae there.

Will that ever stop? Is that normal? Is there a problem? Is there anything I can do prevent it?

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_122609.jpg
    IMG_20190525_122609.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190525_122642.jpg
    IMG_20190525_122642.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20190525_122628.jpg
    IMG_20190525_122628.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.