New pool owner - Chlorine saga

I know it's been a long year already, but don't think we've hit the "200th week" yet xD. Any jug over 17 200 is definitely good. My last stock up was from 17 184. Another thing, all these jugs of bleach, you are keeping them inside your house, or at least somewhere that never exceeds 80°F, right? Once chlorine hits 80°F, it starts degrading even without sunlight. On a side note, make sure you don't store chlorine and muratic acid anywhere near each other, if the concentrated forms of them combine, even the fumes, they will create some pretty nasty, and very dangerous gases that won't end pretty for you.

If you're running low on the reagents, and with all the testing you probably are now or will be by the end of this, order yourself the XL Option from TFTestKit's site. It's got the powder and larger bottle of reagent to test your FC, and comes at a discounted price compared to buying separately. I'll have to look up exactly how, but I also remember reading about a way to test your FC that's accurate to 1ppm instead of .5ppm and uses half as much reagent. With your pool not holding chlorine, knowing accurate to .5ppm isn't gonna help you anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found out how, use 5ml I stead of 10ml, and each drop will count as 1ppm instead of .5ppm. So if you add 5 drops to get it clear, it's 5ppm. When adding the powder, if you still see some undissolved powder in your vial, you can use a little less powder next time too. Just make sure you still see a grain or 2 of it undissolved, or you might not have added enough.

I think testing every 30 minutes might not give the best results - seems like SLAM instructions say no more often than 60 minutes... but I understand your desire to do it non-stop!

If you test too frequently, you risk the chlorine not being fully dispersed and adding too much, which can bleach or damage your liner.

I know it's been a long year already, but don't think we've hit the "200th week" yet xD. Any jug over 17 200 is definitely good. My last stock up was from 17 184. Another thing, all these jugs of bleach, you are keeping them inside your house, or at least somewhere that never exceeds 80°F, right? Once chlorine hits 80°F, it starts degrading even without sunlight. On a side note, make sure you don't store chlorine and muratic acid anywhere near each other, if the concentrated forms of them combine, even the fumes, they will create some pretty nasty, and very dangerous gases that won't end pretty for you.

If you're running low on the reagents, and with all the testing you probably are now or will be by the end of this, order yourself the XL Option from TFTestKit's site. It's got the powder and larger bottle of reagent to test your FC, and comes at a discounted price compared to buying separately. I'll have to look up exactly how, but I also remember reading about a way to test your FC that's accurate to 1ppm instead of .5ppm and uses half as much reagent. With your pool not holding chlorine, knowing accurate to .5ppm isn't gonna help you anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found out how, use 5ml I stead of 10ml, and each drop will count as 1ppm instead of .5ppm. So if you add 5 drops to get it clear, it's 5ppm. When adding the powder, if you still see some undissolved powder in your vial, you can use a little less powder next time too. Just make sure you still see a grain or 2 of it undissolved, or you might not have added enough.

Thanks for the tip. That will definitely come in handy. So is the date on the bleach the expiration date or the manufacture date. I could have sworn I saw 204 17, but maybe I've inhaled too much bleach. Thanks again!

That’s the date it was poured, it’s birthdate if you will. It’ll last around 3 months when kept under 80F and with no exposure to the sun (like a opaque white bottle). After 3 months, it’s consider to be somewhat degraded and only loses more chlorine from there. I’m not sure how quickly it does actually degrade, but I avoid buying anything over 1 month old if I can. Same goes for normal bleach for your laundry. Also, the concentration effects how quickly it degrades, with higher concentrations degrading faster. So a 8.25% bleach will have a longer shelf life than 12.5% liquid chlorine. That being said, I would buy 12.5% if they sold it in my tiny little town, but Walmart’s 10% 2 pack is the cheapest per ounce of chlorine I can find around here.

This sounds like a good case for full water replacement using the tarp method. As far as your pool knows, the water level never changes, the tarp forms a barrier between the bad water on the bottom and the good water on top. You would either need a bottom drain or use a submersible pump. At this point I think I'd rather spend my money on a tarp and water instead of another hundred bottles of bleach.

This sounds like a good case for full water replacement using the tarp method. As far as your pool knows, the water level never changes, the tarp forms a barrier between the bad water on the bottom and the good water on top. You would either need a bottom drain or use a submersible pump. At this point I think I'd rather spend my money on a tarp and water instead of another hundred bottles of bleach.

This sounds like a great idea, but the pool is 36 x 19 ft. Probably too big for a tarp. Thanks.

You can buy a 40 ft square tarp for $90, but that might cost more than doing a couple refills. Idk since I have well water.

EDIT: I’m not recommending this at all, just saying buying a big tarp wouldn’t save money over multiple refills.

TFP does NOT officially recommend the tarp method for water replacement. It's too fraught with difficulties and it could be quite dangerous to implement. Unless a pool absolutely cannot be drained (rare), it's just simpler and easier to do serial water replacements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And Lee needs to get that picture in the TFP gallery for future use in a "Did you check behind your light fixture??" post....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.