New pool owner, can I do this?

You will inevitably have your valve set to different positions because the pump MUST be off when changing positions. That's very important. Also turn the handle in the same direction each time. So you may be in filter now, then turn-off pump later to backwash. Move valve, then turn it back on to actually do the backwash. Turn-off to rinse, turn handle, turn-on pump again and perform the rinse .. etc.

Probably why there is a check valve in there. Should help to keep the water up closer to the pump...
I bet you're exactly right. The pool store tech said yesterday that a check valve often indicates a prior issue with priming.

So I'm still waiting on my test kit, can on go ahead and start dumping bleach in there for now? After I put a new pressure gauge on of course.

There are probably some other pump "dynamics" that dictate how much force your 1-speed has to pull that water as opposed to a 2-speed. But in any case, now you now. :goodjob:

As for the bleach .... we have similar-size/type pools. So until you get your test kit, just add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each day - nothing else. If the test kit arrives after you leave, make sure your wife has the ability to log-in here and we'll gladly help walk her through the steps. But just do the 1/2 gal bleach for now.

Once your kit arrives, we'll want to see:
FC
CC
CYA
pH
TA
CH

Hope that helps.

You can put about 1/2 jug of bleach in a day. NO pretty smells or splashless or such. Just plain, generic bleach. Walmarts in some areas have the "pool shock" for a good price. Make sure to check the date code and the %. Not all bleach is the same.

Kim:cat:

Okay thanks. And if my wife does not want to fool with the test kit while I'm gone, should she keep putting 1/2 gallon in each day....or every other day or what? And do we leave the pump on 24/7 ? I know she'll need to backwash some while I'm gone.

Yeah, that's my pool's diet - 1/2 gallon of bleach each day. Pump doesn't need to be on 24/7, but I also worry about everything you went through. If you know all is well now, maybe have it running in the 8-12 hour range just for now until you learn more about your pool. If she needs help with backwashing, have her post back here and we'll help.

For what it's worth ... the water testing is quite easy. You will both be surprised. Make sure to order the "Speed Stir"!

Wait a minute! I thought the words pool ownership and 'easy' were never supposed to be together???

I'm wondering if I should just wait until I get home from my trip to start cleaning the water up. What are the odds I could have it ready in 4 days from that point? Is that a pipe dream? Assuming no further mechanic issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute! I thought the words pool ownership and 'easy' were never supposed to be together???

I'm wondering if I should just wait until I get home from my trip to start cleaning the water up. What are the odds I could have it ready in 4 days from that point? Is that a pipe dream? Assuming no further mechanic issues.

Sorry, never thought to ask how long you were running the pump when priming. But still, 6 minutes is an awfully long time and I think a lot longer than normal especially for a pump that is not that high above water level. Makes me think there is still something not quite right about the pump.

Did you check to make sure all the wet end parts were there when you took it apart?

Also, after priming, what is the filter PSI and is the pump basket completely devoid of all air bubbles?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can put about 1/2 jug of bleach in a day. NO pretty smells or splashless or such. Just plain, generic bleach. Walmarts in some areas have the "pool shock" for a good price. Make sure to check the date code and the %. Not all bleach is the same.

Kim:cat:

What I found at Walmart is "Pool Essentials" brand "chlorinating liquid" ... 1 gallon ... Sodium Hypochlorite 10% - other ingredients 90% ..... so should I use 1/2 gallon of that stuff each day until I can test my water?

Sorry, never thought to ask how long you were running the pump when priming. But still, 6 minutes is an awfully long time and I think a lot longer than normal especially for a pump that is not that high above water level. Makes me think there is still something not quite right about the pump.

Did you check to make sure all the wet end parts were there when you took it apart?

Also, after priming, what is the filter PSI and is the pump basket completely devoid of all air bubbles?

Pump has been shut off since I left for work this morning. Came home, installed new gauge and turned the pump back on, it primed in 2 1/2 minutes. BUT the gauge still is not moving but I know there is water up there - I can hear it and it sprayed out of my air release valve. I bought a liquid filled gauge, wrapped some latex tape around it and tightened it in there. Bad gauge perhaps?

I left the pump on for 10-15 minutes, water does not have any bubbles that I can see, just a vortex. I ran a backwash just to see what would happen and water came spraying out of my sight glass (along with the appropriate backwash line). I assume this is not supposed to happen. There is an o-ring inside of the sight glass. What should I do about that?

I'm headed back to exchange my gauge now.

Yes, that 10% Wal-Mart bleach is fine. Sounds like you did get a bad gauge the first time. At some point when you get back, you might need to pop the lid off of that filter and do a deep cleaning anyways. All in good time. You can just wait to do the SLAM when you get back. As long as your wife can add a 1/2 gallon of bleach each day while you're away, it won't get much worse. That will give you time to get the test kit mailed-in as well. You must have that to do the SLAM. Odd though about the site glass and gauge going bad together. If those happen again, let us know. Glad to hear the pump is priming much faster now. You've had your crash-course in pool maintenance, so I sure hope things settle down a bit more for you now.

I left the pump on for 10-15 minutes, water does not have any bubbles that I can see, just a vortex.
You see a vortex in the pump basket? So the vortex does not include air and you are only seeing debris swirl?

Pump has been shut off since I left for work this morning. Came home, installed new gauge and turned the pump back on, it primed in 2 1/2 minutes.
Does this mean it lost prime while it was off? If so, then there is an air leak somewhere. A pump should not lose prime when shut off.

Definitely had a bad gauge the first time around. Got back and installed new gauge and new sight glass .... pump has been running full steam for 15 minutes now (set on Filter) ... pressure holding steady at 10 ... yes I see a vortex swirl in the pump basket, some light debris but so far it's pretty clean - it does not appear to have air in it, very few bubbles and only cause (in my opinion) from the swirling water.

Do I wait for the pressure to rise to 20 or 25 before I run backwash?

I added the first round of bleach to the pool just now.

I did indeed have to prime the pump after I came home, so yes there must still be an air leak somewhere along the way. Is that a big long term problem?

Another issue that may or may not be related: I mentioned earlier in this thread that the previous owners knew and told us about a slow pool leak. They said it comes from a small hairline crack in the floor, right where the slope is. They had never gotten it fixed but I plan to do so after we get the pool up and running (thanks to some advice I found on TFP, a water epoxy with good reviews). So, I've been adding water about once a week because that's what the prior owners did. I have noticed that the water level will drop 2-4" in a week but will always stop around 2/3 DOWN the skimmer opening ... it does not keep going. So I'm wondering if the leak is indeed from the crack or could it be from something related to the skimmer?

Do I wait for the pressure to rise to 20 or 25 before I run backwash?
20%-25% or 2-2.5 PSI rise.

I added this question later but did you say the pump loses prime after shut off? If so, you still have an air leak.

I have noticed that the water level will drop 2-4" in a week but will always stop around 2/3 DOWN the skimmer opening ... it does not keep going. So I'm wondering if the leak is indeed from the crack or could it be from something related to the skimmer?
That doesn't sound like a leak at the bottom of the pool. That will be the subject for another discussion when you get back. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.