New pool owner, can I do this?

When you had the pump apart, you did check the impeller vanes for blockage too right?

Also, do you have a valve on the suction side on the pump?

The impeller seemed to move freely and smoothly when I turned it using the shaft, there was nothing inside of it, etc.

There is a check valve .... is that what you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

What about an air leak somewhere on the pump itself ... is that a good possibility? And if so, do I need to get a pressure test done?

What about an air leak somewhere on the pump itself ... is that a good possibility? And if so, do I need to get a pressure test done?
Actually that's where I was headed. When you add water to the pump basket can you fill it to the top of the pump basket and does the water hold? It should since you have a check valve.

Is there another valve that you can use to shut off the flow to the pump or is there only that check valve?

Probably not the culprit, but just in case... you mentioned that your water hose test ran freely from the pump strainer to the skimmer. Normally that check valve would prevent much water from going backwards down the suction line. Just wondering if the check valve cover is turned 180 degrees from the correct position. I don't know about Pentair, but the Jandy check valves can be installed either way. If it's in the correct position, the flap will be on the end of the check valve which is further from the pump (left-hand-side in your pictures 2 and 3, with flapper hinging up and open toward the pump)

Probably not the culprit, but just in case... you mentioned that your water hose test ran freely from the pump strainer to the skimmer. Normally that check valve would prevent much water from going backwards down the suction line. Just wondering if the check valve cover is turned 180 degrees from the correct position. I don't know about Pentair, but the Jandy check valves can be installed either way. If it's in the correct position, the flap will be on the end of the check valve which is further from the pump (left-hand-side in your pictures 2 and 3, with flapper hinging up and open toward the pump)

I put the water hose thru the check valve opening when I did that test. And yes, it is indeed installed on the correct side, as you described. That thought crossed my mind on Saturday so I double checked it. Thanks.

So when you completely fill the pump basket with water, close the lid tightly and turn on the pump, it still does not prime? But air fills the pump basket correct? Does the check valve open briefly? Just seeing if the air is coming from the suction line, which it should or someplace else.

So when you completely fill the pump basket with water, close the lid tightly and turn on the pump, it still does not prime?

But air fills the pump basket correct? Does the check valve open briefly? Just seeing if the air is coming from the suction line, which it should or someplace else.

Right, basket filled with water, lid secure... when I turn on the pump nearly all the water is quickly sucked up into the filter and nothing else happens. I cannot tell if the basket fills with air. I have not noticed that the check valve opens briefly or not.

How do you know the water makes it to the filter?

Also, if water leaves the pump basket, either water or air must replace it otherwise it doesn't leave.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you know the water makes it to the filter?

Also, if water leaves the pump basket, either water or air must replace it otherwise it doesn't leave.

I guess I'm assuming it goes up to the filter ... it's a lot of water and it disappears that direction. I can feel the lines between the pump and filter vibrate and it sounds like water is moving thru those lines.

I don't think there is enough water in the pump basket to fill both the volute and the pipe to the filter. When priming a pump, most of the water should stay in the pump so it can start to prime.

I don't think there is enough water in the pump basket to fill both the volute and the pipe to the filter. When priming a pump, most of the water should stay in the pump so it can start to prime.
Yeah that's probably true. I've tried every mode on the multiport filter valve, no difference with any of them. Pressure gauge never moves.

- - - Updated - - -

have you tried bypassing the filter? not sure if you can, but it might be useful.

No I have not bypassed the filter. Would that somehow affect suction from the pump?

Assuming your suction bypass test was well sealed, the pump itself must have an air leak somewhere that just hasn't been discovered yet.

There should be an oring around the diffuser insert.

Assuming your suction bypass test was well sealed, the pump itself must have an air leak somewhere that just hasn't been discovered yet.

There should be an oring around the diffuser insert.

I'm pretty sure my bypass test was sealed up well. And yes, there was an o-ring around the diffuser insert that was in good shape and a larger one around the seal plate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.