New Pool Owner and having trouble getting anything right

Mar 28, 2018
Florida
Pool was completed and filled 9/30/18. Pool builder was supposed to be cleaning and maintaining when we were not here but they did not come for 2 months unbeknownst to us. When we arrived 1 month ago, salt was low(2600 reading on my wireless control panel and 2900 on report from pool store) so I added 2 bags of salt which brought salt to 3600 which pool school dude from our pool builder told us was ideal. PH has been high so I keep adding muriatic acid, first time I added 4 cups, now adding 2 cups at a time. PH reading on my strips and on report from pool store reads 7.8 -8.0 everytime. TA is consisent at 100. No one had told us anything about CYA so our levels were zero. First 2 water samples we took to pool store the CYA was 0 and they did not say anything, now they are saying that's real bad and we need to add conditioner. I bought the liquid conditioner which is supposed to be a quicker fix and added 1 gallon, (they had recommended 2 gallons). The chlorine level was at 7.5 when we arrived and is down to 5 now. I'm so frustrated because everyday the salt level is going higher, today its at 3900. Everyone I ask including pool builder gives me a different answer. I would appreciate any suggestions. We are from Maine but our pool is in Palm Coast, Florida.
Thank-you.

14' 6" X 27' FreeForm, IG, Gunite, 315 square foot, 10,000 gallons, 3'-5'6" Depth, 6' Spa, 6 Jets. Concrete decking with two tone acrylic knockdown finish. Aquacal Heat Pump IceBreaker SQ120R, Pentair Variable Speed Pump, 3 HP, 3 Globerite LED lights, Pentair Easy Touch Remote Pool/Spa automation.

Welcome to the forum!

Order a TF-100

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.

I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: hopetoretiresoon
You should also consider getting the K1766 salinity test kit. In Florida, with all your rain, testing the salt level is important.

Once you get your test kits, post up the results and we can provide guidance.

htts,

The reasoning behind Marty's recommendation is apparent just by reading your post... Neither your pool builder, nor the pool store dude, cares as much about your pool as you do... You owe it to yourself to learn how to test your own pool water and not rely on others... the TFP pool care method is based on owner testing, because it is the only thing we can trust. It also depends on you using one of the accurate test kits that we recommend. While other test kits might work, we need to be able to compare apples to apples. To do that you need to be using the same test kit that we all use.

Keep in mind that we are all volunteers... we are here because we are passionate about the TFP pool care process. We all have found just how easy pool care can be and we want to pass that knowledge on to our members... Can you say the same for your Pool Builder and the guys at your pool store? I suspect not... :)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

What a mess the PB has put you in. So sad he could not keep up his end of the bargain while you where not there gurrrrrrrrrr!

So what you are finding is like the others said above. No one cares for your pool like you do. We have to find a way for you to care for your pool while you are there so you can enjoy it AND figure out what you can do for when you are gone.

While you are there is easy-get a good test kit and so some reading. The links provide above are great ones to get you started.

Now for while you are gone......we have another member that is fighting this same battle. She has a part time home in the keys and has a hard time finding someone to take care of the pool when she is not there. She just fired her late is the other day so she is back on the look out for a new one :(

What you can do is ask around your neighborhood for any one that is happy with their pool care OR even better anyone that does their own! See if they would be willing to care for your pool for a fee while you are gone.

We can/will help you while you are there so you can enjoy your pool!

Kim:kim:

Welcome to the forum!

Order a TF-100

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.

I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thank-you. I read the ABC's and I've been reading the Pool School eBook articles for 3 hours now. My eyes are crossed but its very enlightening. Looks like I will order the TF-100 tomorrow and I'll report back.

Good job! If you like we can share the science behind everything done here at TFP. You will notice that our recommend levels differ from what pool stores and the back of some bottles say. That is because they have not updated their knowledge base most importantly the FC/CYA relationship as seen in this link: Trouble Free Pool
Here are a couple of other links to help you along the way:
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Please note you can buy most of this at Walmart or Target! How neat is that?? Now don't go buying any of it yet as you may not need any of it................well except for the chlorine. I would do some looking around in your area to see where you best buy for chlorine is. Some pool stores sell liquid chlorine. You put a deposit down on their jugs so all you have to do is bring the empties back to be refilled.

Kim:kim:

The Pool School link and your reading of it will no doubt save you thousands of dollars over the life of your pool. I had my pool finished in October of last year. I proceeded to implement the TFP method and have had zero problems. The pool math app is amazing and any issues I have encountered are easily resolved within the app.

This site is an incredible gift for any pool owner.

Reactions: kimkats and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.