New pool owner. Algae Help.

polyakv

Aug 22, 2019
East Greenbush NY
Hi,
We bought a house with an IG pool recently. Pool has green algae.
I am so happy to finally find a good website/forum with a lot of info.

I bought a chemistry kit and did my first test today. I added liquid chlorine (5 gal) yesterday and trying to follow the SLAM process.

Results of test:
CYA: 0
PH: 6.8
FC: 3
CC: 0

I will measure the hardness and alkalinity tomorrow morning, it is already dark.
I also need to measure the size of the pool to calculate the volume. I will do this tomorrow.

What should I do first? I am guessing raising the PH and increasing the CYA?
or should I keep adding the chlorine?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
Add enough CYA using the sock method to get to 30 ppm. Did this pool ever have any CYA or products containing CYA added to it?
Depending on your TA you may want to add some baking soda. Let us know those results when you get them.
How have you been chlorinating?
Read SLAM Process
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you for the help!
I will purchase the CYA tomorrow and add it using the sock. Is there a chart that tells you how much to add?
I don't know if this pool ever had CYA or products containing CYA. I would think no.
I added liquid chlorine (5 gal) - 1 container. This is it. Nothing else.

One more thing I forgot to add - I switched the DE in the filter to fiber clear just because it was dumping it next to the well.
This is where the pool drain was from the filter. I ran a hose from the well to the street for now.
I cleaned the filter first, cleaned the grids and put everything back together. I added 11 cups of fiber clear according to instructions.

The filter pressure went up 15 psi after 2 hr of operation. I backwashed the filter and added more fiber clear. It is working but the pressure is going
up again. I will check again today and backwash tomorrow.

Thanks.

OK - I would only put in 20 ppm of CYA granules and let that dissolve. Then check to see if you need to add more. Test 24 hours after the CYA is dissolved.

Use PoolMath - Trouble Free Pool for how much.
You need an approximate volume. Let us know what you come up with and we can check your data.

I put the sock with CYA into the pool against the return. What is next?
Should I increase TA or PH or add chlorine?
The color changed from green to lighter color. It is still very cloudy. I vacuumed the bottom. Dead algae on the shallow end. I will go and vacuum the deep end.
Thanks.

I suggest you add enough baking soda to raise your TA by 20 ppm.

What volume are you using to determine how much chemical to use?

Raise your FC to 12 ppm and maintain that by testing and adding as often as possible. At least 3-4 times per day.
Have you read the SLAM Process article?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Big pool.

To use your Hayward SWCG, you will need to run it 24 hours at near 100% to generate sufficient chlorine during swim season.

Fc 15
My filter is not back washing fiber clear. It was completely clogged up. I washed all the grids and put it back together. I back washed 3-4 times during the last couple of days and it looks like all the fiber clear is still there in the filter, towards the bottom. It is all clumped up. I checked that the dirty water was coming out of the waste pipe and it was. Not sure what is going on.

Ok. Here are some updates.
CYA 20
TA 70
PH 7.2

I can see the bottom in the shallow end.
Still cloudy but better. I am adding chlorine every day.
Vacuumed the bottom a couple of times.
Filter is having the same issue. Gets clogged every day. Pressure goes up by 15. Back washing doesn't get rid of the fiber clear. I looked at the end of the waste pipe and only water comes out. I have to take the filter apart every day. It is getting very annoying. Any suggestions or should I post in different forum?
Thanks for all the help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.