Bronze Supporter
Jun 28, 2021
Westminster, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone! My pool has been open for about 2 weeks. Thankfully, I found this site early enough in the process that I didnt add the recommended chemicals from Leslie's. I used a few pucks before I switched to the LC, but since I was at a CYA of zero, I'm hoping it didnt do much harm.

I didnt have a test kit, but used the pool calculator with the Leslie's water test and did my best.

I had a high alkalinity (180) and have been attempting to lower that to TFP goals with dry acid, and have been slowly adding stabilizer in preparation to SLAM.
We had a last minute cookout and ended up with a VERY heavy bather load, which resulted in zero chlorine and cloudy water the next day. (yesterday.) Up until then it had been crystal clear. :( I know for next time, I should bump up the FC beforehand.

I finally got my test kit yesterday and would love some advice on how to proceed from here.

Last night's numbers:
FC 3
TC 3
PH 7.6
CYA <30(I couldn't make the dot disappear all the way) Leslie's water test had CYA at 37.

I used pool math and added 22 oz of LC. I didnt add any stabilizer bc I wasnt sure of my CYA number.

This morning's numbers:
FC 5
TC 5
CC 0
PH 7.6
CYA 34 (That's when I had to work hard to see the dot. I'm not sure how to read this test.)
TA 90? (Does hot pink count as red?)

What should I do next?

Thank you all so much! This site is a goldmine of knowledge, and I recommend it to everyone I know that has a pool. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

If you are working that hard to see the dot your CYA is below 30. You should add CYA in asap to get it up. As you add CYA you can re-do the test and you'll be able to see the progress where the dot is becoming less visible at 30.

Is your CC really 5, how did you test that? CC of 5 isn't good, is that why you are thinking of SLAMing? How does the water look?

Hot pink for TA sounds correct, you can put more drops in to see if the color changes, if it doesn't change that is what your TA is at. I'd focus on the CYA before you focus on anything else, and TA of 90 isn't bad.

Also have you read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry? If not give it a read.

For CYA we round up. If the dot disappears between 40 and 30 you call it 40. Don’t overthink it.

Keep your FC above the recommended level by 1-2ppm.

Reactions: mariane
Welcome to TFP!

If you are working that hard to see the dot your CYA is below 30. You should add CYA in asap to get it up. As you add CYA you can re-do the test and you'll be able to see the progress where the dot is becoming less visible at 30.

Is your CC really 5, how did you test that? CC of 5 isn't good, is that why you are thinking of SLAMing? How does the water look?

Hot pink for TA sounds correct, you can put more drops in to see if the color changes, if it doesn't change that is what your TA is at. I'd focus on the CYA before you focus on anything else, and TA of 90 isn't bad.

Welcome to TFP!

Ugh, I wrote it wrong. My CC is zero. I got that number by subtracting FC from TC. I think I switched the number when typing. I will go and fix. The water was cloudy after the party, and since there was zero chlorine the next day, thought I should SLAM.

I have read the ABC's of Pool care a few times. I suffered a recent head injury and I am having trouble retaining new information right now. Very annoying. Lol

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog
For CYA we round up. If the dot disappears between 40 and 30 you call it 40. Don’t overthink it.

So then I don't need to add any stabilizer then? Do you think I should SLAM?

That CYA test link was so helpful, thank you!

Probably not a bad idea since the water did get cloudy. I have a SWG but keep a gallon of liquid around just in case I get a lot of swimmer. That way you can add a 1/2 gallon ( or what ever suites your pool ) that night
Also as you get use to it you will
Learn when the water just looks differnet

Reactions: mariane

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably not a bad idea since the water did get cloudy. I have a SWG but keep a gallon of liquid around just in case I get a lot of swimmer. That way you can add a 1/2 gallon ( or what ever suites your pool ) that night
Also as you get use to it you will
Learn when the water just looks differnet
So, before heavy swimming is that when I should raise the FC by 1-2 ppm?
I'm getting ready to SLAM now. I just need to reread the info first.

If your FC is good ( could add a little before and get it up slightly ) I like to add after. That way I don’t have to worry about getting it too high with them swimming :)
A lot of times in my pool it gets cloudy from the kids stirring up dust from the bottom :)

If your FC is good ( could add a little before and get it up slightly ) I like to add after. That way I don’t have to worry about getting it too high with them swimming :)
A lot of times in my pool it gets cloudy from the kids stirring up dust from the bottom :)
That makes sense. Raise it just a little and adjust after. I do want them to be comfortable swimming.

Reactions: markayash
My test kit doesn't have the needed test. I'll have to get one, but I need to wait until my next pay period. I thought perhaps it was necessary bc it was a new pool. Is there supposed to be an initial SLAM?
Click the link on the test. Basically your testing your FC at dark and again in the morning to see how much you lose over night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.