New pool overflow too low

Nov 24, 2012
Irvine, CA
Concrete pool with a sta rite skimmer with weir and a in ground pool filler. Just built.

I think they installed the pool overflow (in the tile) too high. After the rain, it kept from overflowing, but the skimmer opening us under water so no skimming, Solved by draining pool but do I have to do this every time ? Any thing i can easily do so that the water never goes over the skimmer opening line automatically? Surprised the builder didn't think of this.

dog,

Show us some pics..

The bottom of the overflow should be just a little higher than the middle of your skimmer... It is almost impossible to install it wrong.. :scratch:

If the water got to the top of your skimmer, then in theory the water should have been at the top of the overflow.

Maybe the overflow is not working because it is just going into the ground. It should go to open air downhill from the pool water level.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am surprised you would have an overflow installed in your pool in your climate. Are you sure? An autofill is necessary, but an overflow drain is not.
If you wait a few days, evaporation will reduce your water level.

This is for a neighbors pool that uses a pool service for a newly built pool. I am trying to convert him to BBB and ditching the service.

The overflow opening is too high as you all point out. It's above where the skimmer opening is. My question is is there an easy solution or must my neighbor always going to have to drain to waste after a rain.

I can try and get pics later.

I am surprised you would have an overflow installed in your pool in your climate. Are you sure? An autofill is necessary, but an overflow drain is not.
If you wait a few days, evaporation will reduce your water level.
We live in Orange County, Ca. Not Heaven. Ha ha. Still get rain. It's about an inch too high. On a 20k gal pool I would think that's a lot of days of the surface not getting skimmed to evaporate an inch?

In the winter it might take a week to evaporate an inch. If windy, less. What level is the pool being kept at? It should take 3 inches of rain or more to get the level above the skimmer.

In the winter it might take a week to evaporate an inch. If windy, less. What level is the pool being kept at? It should take 3 inches of rain or more to get the level above the skimmer.
Super narrow tile line. I will advise him to keep the level at the very base of the tile unless anyone sees a problem with that. CAn the waterline be below the tile?

CAn the waterline be below the tile?
Best not. A scale build up will likely occur in your area and the tile helps to be able to remove that. Also oils, grime, etc build up is common and the tile is easier to keep clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.