New pool, new owner, always having issues...

Take a look at the post below for some testing tips that may help as you wait for your kit.

This is where I always spit out my coffee. They are more or less right that CYA is good between 30 and 100, but we need to know it to a *10*, not that it's simply in the 70 CYA window listed with nearly identical colors.

Screenshot_20240524_065437_Chrome.jpg

Above that, who cares ? It can be 100 off and it doesn't matter because you need to drain the pool.

Funny thing is its the same company same test but one is older than the other and they show up different so, I don't trust either at this point. Pool is crystal clear, seems safe enough to swim at the moment.

Reactions: newdude
Funny thing is its the same company same test but one is older than the other and they show up different so,
If you watch it closely enough, you can usually see it changing colors with time. Many say to check them at 15 seconds but good luck timing that just so. :ROFLMAO:

In your first post, you mentioned algae. When is the last time you saw signs of algae? Keep in mind, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not hiding somewhere. First thing to do when you get your kid is determine your CYA level and get FC up to target level. You'll probably want to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
to rule out algae. You'll find it cya is one of the most difficult tests just because of its subjectivity. Take a look at the extended test kit directions in Pool School for some tips. Have someone else on hand for a second opinion.

The test came today but holy moly it's a lot
Protip : you cannot glance at the instruction sheet or it's rocket science. Take scrap paper and block off everything but 1 test.

Gather the bottles/supplies it needs. You don't need to know what R-0013 is yet. You just need to find the R-0013. (Etc etc).

Then line everything up in order and go one stupid simple step at a time. For real, it's a joke.

*fill vial to 10ml
*add scoop of powder
*swirl
*add drops of r-0871.
*count drops
*Each drop is 1/2 FC.

Stupid. Simple.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Protip : you cannot glance at the instruction sheet or it's rocket science. Take scrap paper and block off everything but 1 test.

Gather the bottles/supplies it needs. You don't need to know what R-0013 is yet. You just need to find the R-0013. (Etc etc).

Then line everything up in order and go one stupid simple step at a time. For real, it's a joke.

*fill vial to 10ml
*add scoop of powder
*swirl
*add drops of r-0871.
*count drops
*Each drop is 1/2 FC.

Stupid. Simple.
Kit says 2 scoops.

According to pool math that's 16 pounds of CYA needed. So I guess I'll add another gallon of bleach tonight then just fill up 2 socks with 8lbs each in front of 2 returns and let it run overnight?

1 scoop for 10 mL sample is fine.

For CYA, target 30 ppm for now. You don't want to SLAM with higher levels of CYA. Check out the SLAM levels on the FC/CYA Levels

Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight and report back tomorrow.

Complete the SLAM Process if you fail OCLT.

On second thought, visible algae calls for a SLAM. If that's the case you can start now. Continue to add 30 ppm of CYA. Make sure you follow the SLAM Process completely. Adjust pH down to 7.2. Post a full set of results including CH to ensure no water exchange is necessary.

On second thought, visible algae calls for a SLAM. If that's the case you can start now. Continue to add 30 ppm of CYA. Make sure you follow the SLAM Process completely. Adjust pH down to 7.2. Post a full set of results including CH to ensure no water exchange is necessary.
No visible signs and no slippery bottom anymore for 48 hours.

It's up to you Greg. The recent algae won't magically disappear, but an OCLT will give you peace of mind. Let us know what happens in the morning.
I'm adding a gallon of chlorine daily, brushing and cleaning everything and running at 100% SWG for 17 hours. I'm not expecting magic. I'll do the OCLT tonight/tomorrow. Have everyone and their mother using the pool during the day which isn't helping the situation but honestly the water is still crystal clear and nothing is slippery. I feel like no CYA at this point is what's happening but we'll see tomorrow morning. I really appreciate everyone's time and information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support