New pool, new owner, always having issues...

3rd exit criteria met? Crystal clear (not mostly clear or way better than when we started) with no visible algae (dead or alive)

Could keep going one more day with SLAM protocol, do another OCLT tonight/tomorrow and see if you get a 0.5 drop instead of 1. As insurance.

Reactions: newdude
Technically, you passed! Congratulations!

You lost a lot of FC yesterday. From the a.m. reading to midday, you lost 6.0 ppm then added more LC. This type of loss can be normal when FC is at SLAM levels because there's not enough CYA in the water to protect the FC. You can stop now and monitor daily FC loss. You should be losing no more than 4 ppm per day at normal FC levels. Or, you could continue the SLAM for one more day since you're already up to SLAM level. Passing OCLT again will give you piece of mind that SLAM is done.

3rd exit criteria met? Crystal clear (not mostly clear or way better than when we started) with no visible algae (dead or alive)

Could keep going one more day with SLAM protocol, do another OCLT tonight/tomorrow and see if you get a 0.5 drop instead of 1. As insurance.
Was just sending my last reply when this popped up.

Great plan!

Last edited:
Yeah it's been crystal clear (other than all pollen on the surface). Ok, so i'll keep going as-is then assuming nothing drastic happens today/tonight/tomorrow AM start brining up the CYA level and start testing the other things in the kit?

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't get it.
CYA 40
FC was 8
Added 2 gallons of bleach as per the app.
Retested FC after an hour, 22!?
SWG is off.

Could the bleach concentration have been off somehow???

44 drops wiped out the last of reagent, more won't come until Monday so... Yeah.

2 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine would raise your FC by 11ppm.

What did you think it would do?

• Test error. Clean your vial with Alcohol, bottle vertical, slow drops...let them fall on their own weight. If you squeeze them out fast, smaller drops, higher result.
  • Use a speed stir, more swirling, less drops, lower value.
  • Pool volume.