New Pool - Miami - Summer 2020 Build

I'm going to water it this afternoon. The guys didn't say it was a huge priority but they said to do so if I have the chance. And working from home these months gives me the time to just go out there and wet it.
yea same here they downplayed it as not necessary but we did it a couple times plus it rained almost every day for a few days in a row right after they shot it so i think were good now

I have a question. How do I verify the depth of the pool? Now that the shell is done...it seems deep? On the back edge the wall runs 69 inches. That’s 5’9. Water level is supposed to be 5’ deep.

I realize the water isn’t filled to nearly the top of the wall, but is this thing going to end up being 5’3?
How thick is the DiamondBrite

See that rectangle cut out on the wall? That is where the skimmer will be going. The water depth should be halfway up that. Measure from there to the floor. Plaster is not that thick. I will reach out to a couple of people who should know the exact depth. @bdavis466 @jimmythegreek
That's helpful. So the skimmer height is 9.5 inches. Good to take 4.75" off for there.

Reactions: kimkats
Kind of crawling along right now. I know a lot of things are out of our hands: local Covid outbreaks and summer rains can make July an unpredictable month. But we only have had workers here four days in the last month.
Latest progress since last post: posts removed and first backfill. 45D2E71D-D23A-483C-8F83-6B19936E9FED.jpeg

Reactions: teknic88
its ready for them to do plumbing/electrical at least!

that should be a 1 day job, then an inspection, then they can finally level stuff out in the backyard and it wont look so crazy
I know! Sheesh.

The guy was supposed to do it on Wednesday July 1 or Thursday July 2, but no show and then again no show today. PB says he will ask a different guy to come out now for tomorrow.

I'm at the point where I just want some progress each week...seriously low expectations. I still try to be the daily squeaky wheel, but I'm resigned to a slow build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, twelve days later...where are we?

We had a rainy week last week, and we are the world's Covid hotspot. So I really am understanding for the pace...I don't take for granted the ability to keep this project moving.

But yesterday was first progress since Sat. 7/18. We had coping material delivered. This morning we have a team here preparing for coping and tiling. I am elated that they drained out the pool. It was mosquito heaven! Let's hope for a just a few spurts of activity to get this in striking distance. A small victory every week!

Reactions: Ryanrichard25
It's great to see your build in action. I am still in the city approval phase, but so anxious to get moving.
Having grown up in Florida, I can just imagine how all those rains can impede on a build, not to even add the COVID problems in Miami right now. Your patience is commendable. I think I would have been going crazy.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh, and Go Gators!!

It's great to see your build in action. I am still in the city approval phase, but so anxious to get moving.
Having grown up in Florida, I can just imagine how all those rains can impede on a build, not to even add the COVID problems in Miami right now. Your patience is commendable. I think I would have been going crazy.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh, and Go Gators!!
GO GATORS.

Yeah, my wife is going crazy. I think she is right to be frustrated. And we are both home working at a desk and dining room table. With each truck that drives by our house we hope it is pool guy!

Our county permit process took many many many months. Nearly a full year. I think all the time about what I'd have done differently pre-Covid...number one is I'd have spent more energy going out to new restaurants I'd want to try. But I also wish I'd have taken a week off of work to do anything in my power to get it permitted sooner. Lots of septic-related delays...what a mess to piece together. But here we are.

I do have an update. This one is a mixed bag. Three more days of progress this past week. Electrical bonding work on Tuesday 7/28; coping work on 7/29; a tile-related delay Thursday 7/30***; and completion of coping and tile on Friday 7/31.

We chose the tile the day of the excavation at a local tile supplier. On Thursday, our PB emailed us early that the tile is out of stock and in Spain. We were given the option of waiting a month to get it, or proceeding with another option. Our PB doesn't have a showroom, so instead they brought over 4 samples. We quickly chose one; took a picture and emailed them.

Well, the tile installed is not the same as the sample. Somehow the sample had a number written on it (553) that did not align exactly with the "553" sample they installed on Friday. It is entirely done. The tile is not nearly the same. Our tile had a muted shine to it; the tile installed is iridescent and has a colorful shine. We don't know whether this was a tile supplier error in labeling the samples, but all the same ... we had our tile decision done months ago.

We are really hoping that this can be sorted out this week. What type of damage will it do to the coping to remove the tile and replace it what the tile we chose? What an ordeal...

9324376F-AADA-4A14-9E9E-F87014AA9282.jpeg

Attachments

• CD12BB09-00FA-4B68-85A8-D085BC6A52C6.jpeg
    CD12BB09-00FA-4B68-85A8-D085BC6A52C6.jpeg
    741.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 564EF46D-70E3-4BA1-AF64-F19A045CA09A.jpeg
    564EF46D-70E3-4BA1-AF64-F19A045CA09A.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 73
  • EE159500-1488-4EAA-BDE4-53AD8E9B9700.jpeg
    EE159500-1488-4EAA-BDE4-53AD8E9B9700.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: teknic88
But, but, but...............BLING!!! It is so BLING!! Saying that I can see how, if you did not pick out bling, you would not want it. It is at least the same colors but with the BLING shine to it.

IF they are VERY careful no damage will be done to your coping when they go to remove it. I WOULD be there with drinks and snacks for them to have while they do the work as you watch over their shoulders to make sure they are using care!

They did a good job in the skimmer so here is hoping they do have pride in their work and will use as much care with removing the wrong one.

But, but, but...............BLING!!! It is so BLING!! Saying that I can see how, if you did not pick out bling, you would not want it. It is at least the same colors but with the BLING shine to it.

IF they are VERY careful no damage will be done to your coping when they go to remove it. I WOULD be there with drinks and snacks for them to have while they do the work as you watch over their shoulders to make sure they are using care!

They did a good job in the skimmer so here is hoping they do have pride in their work and will use as much care with removing the wrong one.
To be honest, this was my wife’s domain.
She was stunned. We never considered an iridescent tile. She actively avoided those when looking. But here we are.

I think it looks fantastic and they did a great job. It’s nice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.