New Pool - lots of problems

You are correct in preparing for the SLAM Process. Not sure why you added baking soda because you didn't post your TA, but the pH of 7.2 was perfect to start the SLAM. Yes, I would increase the FC to 20 and follow the SLAM Process page. Besides locally hard water, the cal-hypo will increase your CH, so best to avoid that in the future.

Ally,

If the main drain is closed then your skimmer have to be working... otherwise your pump would run out of water..

I suspect that your "new" style skimmer doors are your problem.. The other thing to look at is your water level.. It should be about in the middle of the skimmer mouth. If the water gets too high it can also make your skimming less effective..

You did not say how fast your pump is running... This is important, as pump speed has a large effect on the filter pressure.

Glad a new pool manager came out and had a look. Keep after them, as something is not right.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to the forum! Your pool paradise looks LOVELY, and you deserve to use it on these hot days! The folks here can help you take control of things and make life much easier. I came here because I got so sick of trying to find a pool company to come help us out. It's not terribly difficult. I'd highly recommend getting the paid version of the PoolMath app, it makes things an absolute breeze when it comes to chemical addition and maintenance.

I notice the first large basket looks to be a leaf vac filter basket, and I can see there's leaves floating at the top. You should definitely keep an eye on that, shut off your pump every few days and dump that out. That'll for sure reduce your pump's flow if it's getting full. Sometimes those lids are on there tight enough that I have to lightly tap on it a few times with a rubber mallet to get the seal to break. It turns about an eighth of a turn and pulls straight up.

You are correct in preparing for the SLAM Process. Not sure why you added baking soda because you didn't post your TA, but the pH of 7.2 was perfect to start the SLAM. Yes, I would increase the FC to 20 and follow the SLAM Process page. Besides locally hard water, the cal-hypo will increase your CH, so best to avoid that in the future.
Oh oops, my TA was 120. I added the baking soda because I thought I wanted it to be closer to 7.4. I didn't realize the target pH was determined by the TA. Noobie mistake.

Ally,

If the main drain is closed then your skimmer have to be working... otherwise your pump would run out of water..

I suspect that your "new" style skimmer doors are your problem.. The other thing to look at is your water level.. It should be about in the middle of the skimmer mouth. If the water gets too high it can also make your skimming less effective..

You did not say how fast your pump is running... This is important, as pump speed has a large effect on the filter pressure.

Glad a new pool manager came out and had a look. Keep after them, as something is not right.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pump is running at "75%". I'm not sure if you would prefer to know the rpms, I'm not sure how to find that out. Its this new fangled system that I control on a app on my phone.

Oh oops, my TA was 120. I added the baking soda because I thought I wanted it to be closer to 7.4. I didn't realize the target pH was determined by the TA. Noobie mistake.
A small learning curve. :) You'll later remember that baking soda primarily increases TA. PH usually tries to rise, so we're often concerned with lowering it with muriatic acid. The link below is a good area to keep handy.

As for the pump, a low rpm of about 1,200 - 1,300 rpm is fine. Doesn't need to be high speed, just low and consistent to keep the elevated chlorine moving around.

Ally,

If your pump is running at 75% of full speed that is pretty fast and I would expect that you would have great skimming..

You need to have your pool builder figure out what is wrong..

At 75% of full speed, a filter pressure of 12 PSI, sounds about right to me..

Let's hope the new weir doors solve your problem..

I like the idea of cleaning out the filter basket in front of the pump.. Have you ever do that before??

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I didn't realize the target pH was determined by the TA. Noobie mistake.
When I first started here I was so wrapped around the axle I had no clue what issue to address first. I was adding all sorts of chemicals that had knock-on effects that were sending my numbers exactly the wrong way from what I was intending. It's totally understandable to get one issue out of order starting out.

The simple genius of this method is the simplicity of understanding just a few chemicals. We use liquid chlorine because it quickly raises the free chlorine levels and adds a little salt, which is often a good thing for the feel of the water. We use muriatic acid to bring pH and alkalinity down. It does happen, but personally, I'll likely never be in a situation where I need more of either, I'm always fighting their rise. The rest will come together quickly and you'll be enjoying the pool in no time.

It all starts with a reliable test kit and the PoolMath app.

The pump is running at "75%". I'm not sure if you would prefer to know the rpms, I'm not sure how to find that out. Its this new fangled system that I control on a app on my phone.
Full speed is 3,450 rpm.

To find out the rpm, multiply the % by 3,450.

For example, 0.75 x 3,450 = 2588 rpm.

What is the model number for the pump?

I think that you can change the reading from percentage to rpm if you want.

What automation do you have?

Your main problem with the skimmers is the main drain.. They did not install a Jandy Valve on it so you can not close the main drain off or slow it down.. Have them install a Jandy valve on the main drain and that will give WAY more suction to the skimmers.. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Full speed is 3,450 rpm.

To find out the rpm, multiply the % by 3,450.

For example, 0.75 x 3,450 = 2588 rpm.

What is the model number for the pump?

I think that you can change the reading from percentage to rpm if you want.

What automation do you have?
Yes, you are right! I looked at the pump and its max rpm is 3450. It is a Hayward Model SP11A105CCb1
I'm not sure what you mean by what automation do I have. Like when is it automated for the filter to run and the vacuum?

Ally,

If your pump is running at 75% of full speed that is pretty fast and I would expect that you would have great skimming..

You need to have your pool builder figure out what is wrong..

At 75% of full speed, a filter pressure of 12 PSI, sounds about right to me..

Let's hope the new weir doors solve your problem..

I like the idea of cleaning out the filter basket in front of the pump.. Have you ever do that before??

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes, I have cleaned out those baskets in front of the pump. They weren't full at all and it didn't seem to make any difference, unfortunately.

Reactions: TexEdmond
Is the vacuum always plugged into the jet like in the photo. I don’t believe you ever answered that. I’m guessing not but if it is it would definitely effect suction.

Is the vacuum always plugged into the jet like in the photo. I don’t believe you ever answered that. I’m guessing not but if it is it would definitely effect suction.
Yes, maybe I am calling it the wrong thing. It's not a manual, handheld vacuum. It's the little robotic pool cleaner. It runs for 2 hours every day, so it is always plugged into the wall. Isn't this normal? I thought everyone leaves these plugged in all the time.

Yes, maybe I am calling it the wrong thing. It's not a manual, handheld vacuum. It's the little robotic pool cleaner. It runs for 2 hours every day, so it is always plugged into the wall. Isn't this normal? I thought everyone leaves these plugged in all the time.
Ally,

I think we are confused. Many "Vacuums" are connected directly to the "suction" of the pool. Either to the skimmer, or to a hole in the wall of the pool that is connected to the pump. You likely have a "robot" that is only electrical, with a long tether line, that runs around the pool and has its own "pump" to suck and filter water. They are very different.

Do you have a picture of the Robot/Vacuum, or know the make/model of the robot/vacuum that you have?

He mentioned before it is plugged into a return jet. I’m not sure how that effects it others might have a better idea, but I’m thinking that would contribute too suction loss.

Ally,

I think we are confused. Many "Vacuums" are connected directly to the "suction" of the pool. Either to the skimmer, or to a hole in the wall of the pool that is connected to the pump. You likely have a "robot" that is only electrical, with a long tether line, that runs around the pool and has its own "pump" to suck and filter water. They are very different.

Do you have a picture of the Robot/Vacuum, or know the make/model of the robot/vacuum that you have?
It is a Hayward 500. It is connected to a hole in the wall of the pool, but I have no idea if it has its own suction or if it is using the pump as its source of suction.

There are number of Hayward Vac products with 500 in the name. A picture will help us determine what you have. Also, do you have to clean out a filter on the unit after it runs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.