new pool is full... now what?

knhm

Gold Supporter
May 15, 2019
Stillwater Ok
We have an 18' x 54" above ground pool located in Stillwater, Okla. that completed it's fill this morning. The seller is an hour away and not at all responsive. I feel like we have done everything wrong from the outset. We bought the pool at a "show" last winter, paid in full, and have been struggling since. I am amazed that it is actually here and functional.

The pool came with a startup kit but no instructions. I tested the ph and alkalinity the the strips provided but have no idea about Chlorine. Our water smells bleachy and we don't drink it unfiltered. I need to get in to weight the ladder (which seems to be about 2" short, maybe after weighting it will be better). We will build a deck soon.

Welcome! :wave: New pools need a couple things immediately - chlorine and stabilizer. Has ANYTHING been added? You will probably need to adjust the pH fairly quickly as well. But it all starts with accurate testing, and the test strips are junk. Now you have come to the right place. Focus on the following:
- Order a TF-100 test kit (link below). Test Kits Compared
- Use our PoolMath to add chlorine (aka regular bleach) for a FC goal of 3 for today.
- Add stabilizer (also called conditioner by some) for a CYA target of at least 30. (See below)
- Once the stabilizer has all disolved, balance your FC & CYA together as seen on the FC/CYA Levels.
- At some point you'll test/adjust pH to the mid 7s or so.
- Read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, FC/CYA Levels, and those Vital Links in my signature.
- Update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example.

Once you get the test kit, post a full set of results and we'll help you. Stay out of the pool store and free testing.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: knhm
For 8600 gallons, the PoolMath tool (whic you will need to practice later), shows the following:
- To increase FC (free chlorine) from zero to 3 ppm is 54 ounces of 6% regular bleach. (Never use splashless, scented, or Clorox items). Just regular bleach. Pour slowly near a return jet(s) where water comes back to the pool. Sweep around if needed.
- To increase CYA from zero to 30 is 2 lbs 2 ounes of granular stabilizer. Use the sock method I listed in post #2 above.

You can do those now. By this evening the stabilizer should be all gone (squeeze often once mushy) and the bleach should help. Tomorrow and thereafter you'll need to add a little bleach each day. Again, using the PoolMath tool, I estimate your pool will need about 3 ppm of FC each day, and that's another 54 ounces of regular bleach. So once a day (morning or night doesnt matter), add that much bleach and hopefully we will have kept cloudiness and algae away. When your test kit arrives, we'll help you through all the tests.

There is a pool store closer than our vendor. I'll take a sample there this afternoon.
If you do that, do not rush to take advice or purchase anything at this time. It may be a waste of $$$. The one test they "should" get fairly close is your pH. I would be curious to know what that is. Also, are you on a well there in Stillwater? Curious to know if they show any iron in your water supply. But other than that, I expect them to say you have zero CYA and zero FC unless you added some since I posted. You do need to get that 54 ounces of bleach and the stabilizer I mentioned in there right away though before algae begins.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My kit came Saturday but it rained 2" that day, then 7 more yesterday. I drained the pool back to it's normal level, tested and added bleach as pool math called for. Cl was less than 2. Also put the CYA in a sock in the skimmer. How long should it take to dissolve? I needed 2 lbs and could only fit 1 lb in. I'll the other when this is gone? Also my alkalinity is 30 but I need to get baking soda. My small box won't do much. The pH is 7.4ish.

Also put the CYA in a sock in the skimmer. How long should it take to dissolve?
That depends on how much you squeeze it. Once it gets mushy, I squeeze it every few minutes and it's gone in about 30 minutes.

When you get the baking soda, you can just broadcast spread it around the deep end and brush any clumps if needed.

Thanks, I just checked and the CYA was dissolved so I added the rest. I'll check the levels later this evening. I really appreciate your help. Eventually I want to switch to saltwater. Can you recommend a generator? Hayward has one for around $500 but I don't need one for a 15000 gal pool. I have even thought about Intex, about $200.

I moved the data from About You to your Signature. Thank you.

A SWCG from Inyopools or Circupool would work. Do you have a timer on your pool pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support