Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hello all from ft myers Florida. Just getting started with my first pool. Builder just finished startup and I’ve been studying as hard as I can to take it over. Should have final inspection this week. My goal over the next few weeks/months is to learn the programming on the automation to get my pump optimized for maximum efficiency. Also to get a routine down for cleaning and find the best arrangement of the valves to suit regular filtration and also a cleaning schedule with the Pentair Dorado.

Last edited:
My goal over the next few weeks/months is to learn the programming on the automation to get my pump optimized for maximum efficiency.
One item that is sometimes not clear in the instructions are the settings for the pump speeds. You have 8 speeds to set for different requirements although you do not need to use them all. the most important is to the set the POOL speed for the lowest RPM that still activates the flow sensor for the SWCG. the POOL speed is the default speed the pump runs at unless some other feature is scheduled that runs at a higher RPM. See my pump speed set up. Then on the scheduling page you can determine what runs for which duration.
06FE2503-DA4F-470A-BB5C-86F51929F121.jpeg

One item that is sometimes not clear in the instructions are the settings for the pump speeds. You have 8 speeds to set for different requirements although you do not need to use them all. the most important is to the set the POOL speed for the lowest RPM that still activates the flow sensor for the SWCG. the POOL speed is the default speed the pump runs at unless some other feature is scheduled that runs at a higher RPM. See my pump speed set up. Then on the scheduling page you can determine what runs for which duration.
View attachment 458463
At the moment it’s set to run 8 hours at 2750. At that speed I’m able to get the Dorado to run by opening the vac valve all the way, closing the main drain, and opening the skimmer ~30%. It all seems to be working well like that so I think I may stay put for a while and see how it goes from there. I have thought about running a slower speed and only running the 2750 for a few hours to run the vac, I’m curious to see how that effects the skimmer with the current valve settings. The pool is in a cage but we have two dogs that shed a good bit so I want that skimmer to be doing it’s thing.

I’ve been adjusting the settings on the SWG a little at a time and I think I’m getting close to settling on that. It’s currently at 35% and I’ve adjusted it down incrementally the last 3 days due to chlorine level being a little high

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
I’ve been adjusting the settings on the SWG a little at a time and I think I’m getting close to settling on that. It’s currently at 35% and I’ve adjusted it down incrementally the last 3 days due to chlorine level being a little high
Great work. Just remember that a VS pump becomes more energy efficient a lower speeds, so longer run time at lower speeds may be more energy efficient then short run times at higher speeds. It appears you mainly skim & vacuum due to your dogs shedding in the pool so you may have a unique situation. Do you have to manually adjust your valves for the suction side vacuum to operate?

Great work. Just remember that a VS pump becomes more energy efficient a lower speeds, so longer run time at lower speeds may be more energy efficient then short run times at higher speeds. It appears you mainly skim & vacuum due to your dogs shedding in the pool so you may have a unique situation. Do you have to manually adjust your valves for the suction side vacuum to operate?
Yes the suction valves are manual. I’m hoping to settle on a program where I just leave it the same all of the time as I’m not interested in adjusting them all of the time.

Yes the suction valves are manual. I’m hoping to settle on a program where I just leave it the same all of the time as I’m not interested in adjusting them all of the time.

I think you will find it difficult to get good skimmer action with your vacuum always open. Or you will have to run your pump faster then necessary.

Adding an actuator onto the vacuum valve and letting the Aqualink open it when you want vacuum running will work much better.

+1 on what Allen recommendation. The cleaner valve should be closed unless you plan to vacuum. A suction side cleaner works well but you do not want it to take away from the skimmer performance other than when it is working.

One option if you wish to consider it, you be better off to close the vacuum suction and remove the cleaner and then purchase a robot that you can program separately to run as needed. The actuator on the vacuum line as recommended by Alan is a less expensive alternative.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you will find it difficult to get good skimmer action with your vacuum always open. Or you will have to run your pump faster then necessary.

Adding an actuator onto the vacuum valve and letting the Aqualink open it when you want vacuum running will work much better.
Wouldn’t I need a few actuators so the skimmer could open all the way when the vac isn’t running and also one to open the main drain?

Wouldn’t I need a few actuators so the skimmer could open all the way when the vac isn’t running and also one to open the main drain?

Depends which way your plumbing is setup.

Post pics of your equipment pad and plumbing and valves.

Depends which way your plumbing is setup.

Post pics of your equipment pad and plumbing and valves.
CFD83AFE-35A0-4B1B-AA06-A2ABF5F4FD13.jpeg
In case you can’t read the labels, the red valves are skimmer, main drain, vac. Left to right. I’m thinking of pulling the Dorado out and only using it once a week or so with a dedicated clean program. This way I could run a lower speed the rest of the week with the skimmer open all the way

Your builder did not do you any favors with the ball valve and the sequence of the suction pipes coming out of the ground.

If the vacuum line was the first pipe on the left then you could put a 3 way diverter valve on the T controlled by an actuator and have the actuator open or close the vacuum line when you want cleaning.

To automate the vacuum ON/OFF you need to replumb that leg with 3 lines.

And within a few years those ball valves will stick and handles will break. Diverter valves should have been used and eventually you should replace them.

How about using a robot which will clean your pool better then the vacuum and not clog your small filter?

Your builder did not do you any favors with the ball valve and the sequence of the suction pipes coming out of the ground.

If the vacuum line was the first pipe on the left then you could put a 3 way diverter valve on the T controlled by an actuator and have the actuator open or close the vacuum line when you want cleaning.

To automate the vacuum ON/OFF you need to replumb that leg with 3 lines.

And within a few years those ball valves will stick and handles will break. Diverter valves should have been used and eventually you should replace them.

How about using a robot which will clean your pool better then the vacuum and not clog your small filter?

Yep. And I was just able to return the Dorado to the Leslie’s where I purchased it so I guess I’m now shopping for a robot.

Reactions: HermanTX