New Pool/Grotto/Slide- Started May 28th

Mgvandewark

Jun 22, 2019
San Antonio, Texas
I’m so glad we found this forum! We began our pool building on May 28th. Gunite was done on June 21st (our PB was delayed a week on their Gunite crew). How long from Gunite to completion does it typically take (assuming no more week long delays)? Pics in the comments and link to 3D build below. We live in an area with HEAVY stone. So excavation took 3 days!

Welcome to the forum!
The one thing that can never be predicted is how long it takes to build a pool! Most pool builders have multiple ongoing projects so it can take a couple weeks to months.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Mgvandewark
Hi,
What part of San Antonio do you live in? I am in Helotes and just recently built our pool with the same PB. Ours took 4.5 months because of the heavy rain season and some communication issues. Your deign looks great btw!
Hi!! We live in Bulverde! We were HOPING to have a back to school pool party but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. The rock crew works like 4 hours a day and then calls it quits. It’s a little disappointing. ? Did you have to redo an area of your pool and that caused the delay?

Yup. I just had my hole dug.. went great.. and then I was told nothing else until 7/31... over a month later... this is after telling me it should be done before September when I finally got the permit approved which was delayed a month. I'm mad because I asked them if that would be the case and if so, can we delay until winter.....Originally I thought I'd have it by my birthday in the middle of August. Thankfully it's really my wife's project and I am handing it off to her.... I'm getting ready for Halloween candy for the gunite or if I am luck plaster crew at the rate they are doing mine. Your Texas soil is legendary, BTW for being difficult to excavate. Hoping it all still goes well for you. Our pool should have been started when yours was, so remember it could always be worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup. I just had my hole dug.. went great.. and then I was told nothing else until 7/31... over a month later... this is after telling me it should be done before September when I finally got the permit approved which was delayed a month. I'm mad because I asked them if that would be the case and if so, can we delay until winter.....Originally I thought I'd have it by my birthday in the middle of August. Thankfully it's really my wife's project and I am handing it off to her.... I'm getting ready for Halloween candy for the gunite or if I am luck plaster crew at the rate they are doing mine. Your Texas soil is legendary, BTW for being difficult to excavate. Hoping it all still goes well for you. Our pool should have been started when yours was, so remember it could always be worse.
Wow. Soooo I basically have no room to complain. Sorry that’s happening to you. Hoping they make it right and start before 7/31. Surprisingly the excavation went great. He dug through nothing but solid rock, so the 4 or 5 days for excavation seemed great to me. If only I could push these rock guys a little. Every day starts off with a 2 hour discussion between them of what looks like the same discussion they had the day before. They do one row of rocks a day. And then call it quits. At this rate, I will be handing out Halloween candy to the plaster crew as well. ??‍♀️

No redo. The PB was overbooked and the weather didnt help. We started late august and finished 12-28. I was stressful. I hope you have a different experience. Just keep on them.
It is pretty Dang stressful. We should have started when you did. Because I have 6 year old twins and they basically have no yard to play in for their Summer break. ??‍♀️

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
I bet if you follow them you will see they go to another job and a little bit of work then on to another one to do some work there. That way everyone is getting a tiny bit of work :roll: IF they would stay on one job and work a whole day they might get something done! GURRRRRRRRR

Gonna be fun brushing those boulders in the waterline...make sure the do a very nice smooth mortar / plaster job. What did they use to waterproof that shelf?
Great advice! Thanks. I called our field supervisor to ask about their grout/mortar job in between the boulders and he said they would make sure it was nice and even and thick between them. They used surf-guard 100? I went and snapped a picture of the bucket when they were preparing the cement for the boulders. It went on really dark grey and they had to let it dry. Is this what you’re talking about?

I bet if you follow them you will see they go to another job and a little bit of work then on to another one to do some work there. That way everyone is getting a tiny bit of work :roll: IF they would stay on one job and work a whole day they might get something done! GURRRRRRRRR
This crew has been the most frustrating so far! And to me, it’s one of the most important crews because this is our whole design!! The rock waterfall/grotto/slide ?

Sounds good - you are going to get efflorescence / calcium buildup on the mortar between the rocks from the water. I have read something where they mix the mortar with thinset to improve the density, and reducing the efflorescence effect, but have no experience with it.

Sounds good - you are going to get efflorescence / calcium buildup on the mortar between the rocks from the water. I have read something where they mix the mortar with thinset to improve the density, and reducing the efflorescence effect, but have no experience with it.
Oh! Good to know. I will research it. Thank you so much for all the helpful information!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.