New Pool Construction, Phoenix AZ - Looking for Feedback!

Jordywilson

Feb 28, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone, my name is Jordan and I am new to TFP! After signing off on a whole new backyard construction, I came across TFP several times while researching various things and have loved learning a ton of new things and seeing other peoples’ builds.

To give you some background info on the project, I first reached out to the pool contractor in August of last year, and we are currently still waiting to get permits from the city. I expect construction to finally begin within a few weeks from now.

Attached you will find pictures of the renderings as well as the estimate we got. Note that the estimate only covers the stripping of the backyard, the pool and spa with all the products/equipment/features, the fire pit, and all the travertine. I’m also planning on going with either Pebble Sheen or Pebble Brilliance for the pool finish but am open to alternatives that may be better or more cost efficient. This is my first home and my first time doing a huge backyard project, so I appreciate any and all feedback or suggestions on materials, equipment, or anything else related to the project. I’m looking to pretty much have the best equipment I can get without going over the top.

Attachments

• F857A8CD-1FDB-4138-B155-AC0849DC68A4.jpeg
    F857A8CD-1FDB-4138-B155-AC0849DC68A4.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 72
  • 40D0BA47-9FDA-4F54-92FE-E89F0350E1A5.jpeg
    40D0BA47-9FDA-4F54-92FE-E89F0350E1A5.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 78E292CC-E888-4268-8D35-93CA9AB17649.jpeg
    78E292CC-E888-4268-8D35-93CA9AB17649.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 3D5BFC74-CBA9-4804-982A-B96DCA0BF8E7.jpeg
    3D5BFC74-CBA9-4804-982A-B96DCA0BF8E7.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 70105421-7FE4-4AC0-A57D-5CF13B429E7C.jpeg
    70105421-7FE4-4AC0-A57D-5CF13B429E7C.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 65
  • F6F2B97B-A895-4D6D-9EE7-C5BF88F91B2D.jpeg
    F6F2B97B-A895-4D6D-9EE7-C5BF88F91B2D.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 4A246FFD-0AFF-4FF5-A3B6-EC01CC6E5362.jpeg
    4A246FFD-0AFF-4FF5-A3B6-EC01CC6E5362.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 79
Welcome to TFP!

Pretty design! I like the bench along that one wall.

What water depths are you looking at? I see mention of 3'6" but that is all I could find.

Shelf depth? Step heights?

I don't see any mention of pool equipment as far as size or models. You NEED to have that info so we can look over it to make sure it fits your pool's needs.

That will get us started!

Looks like a great design, my pool is of similar size and design. Alot of people will tell you to skip the in floor cleaning system, and go with a robot cleaner.

Jordy,

I am not a fan of in-floor cleaning systems as they are really old tech. That said, it is your pool, and you should get want you want. Did you ask for it, or was it the builder's idea? No matter what, you need them to install it in a way that it can be shut off or turned on. You want the ability to run the pool without it. Unfortunately, it is often installed in such a way that you can't use the pool without it. You want to make sure you have normal wall returns as well as the pop-up heads. You want to be able to turn one valve to turn the IFCS on or off.

It "appears" you are getting the Pentair IntelliTouch automation system. While it should work just fine, it is also old tech. I suggest you get the newer IntelliCenter, which is a much better more up to date system. The Cost is almost the same.

I also suggest that you go with a saltwater pool as they are the easiest to maintain.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm going to be one of the few voices in the wilderness that votes in favor of the in floor cleaning system. Mine works great and there are some advantages over robots. The first of course, is it's invisible and requires zero effort. There are no cords and nothing needs to be placed in the pool or removed in order to swim or clean the pool. It also doesn't interfere with the use of a pool cover. In addition, the in floor cleaning system is a great way to mix chemicals. When I need to add chemicals (e.g. acid), I just dump them in when the cleaning system is operating and it mixes the chemicals throughout the pool easily and quickly. I think the key to an effective in floor cleaning system is to have it designed properly so the jets provide proper coverage.

I do agree with Jim that if you're designing a new pool with in an floor cleaning system, design it in such a way that it can be bypassed. A bypass would be inexpensive and gives you options down the road. I also vote for the Pentair IntelliCenter system. I'm actually surprised your builder recommended IntelliTouch. Maybe they are trying to unload old inventory? Your pool design looks great! Have fun.

Welcome to TFP!

Pretty design! I like the bench along that one wall.

What water depths are you looking at? I see mention of 3'6" but that is all I could find.

Shelf depth? Step heights?

I don't see any mention of pool equipment as far as size or models. You NEED to have that info so we can look over it to make sure it fits your pool's needs.

That will get us started!
I’ll have to double check, but I believe the depth of the shelf is either 6 or 9 inches below the waterline. It’s not set in stone yet so I can change it. Any recommendations? I wanted the water at the shelf to not be too deep so I could put those long low chairs in it without water going over. As for pool equipment, I’m still doing a ton of research but decided on the Pentair IntelliFlo VS for the pump so far. I think almost all of it will be whatever the best Pentair offers.

Jordy,

I am not a fan of in-floor cleaning systems as they are really old tech. That said, it is your pool, and you should get want you want. Did you ask for it, or was it the builder's idea? No matter what, you need them to install it in a way that it can be shut off or turned on. You want the ability to run the pool without it. Unfortunately, it is often installed in such a way that you can't use the pool without it. You want to make sure you have normal wall returns as well as the pop-up heads. You want to be able to turn one valve to turn the IFCS on or off.

It "appears" you are getting the Pentair IntelliTouch automation system. While it should work just fine, it is also old tech. I suggest you get the newer IntelliCenter, which is a much better more up to date system. The Cost is almost the same.

I also suggest that you go with a saltwater pool as they are the easiest to maintain.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Will definitely switch to the IntelliCenter per your recommendation! Also, after reading more on it, I think I’m going to opt out of getting the IFC system and instead get one of the top of the line robotic cleaners. My reasoning for the IFC initially was that I didn’t want there to be pool equipment visible in the pool, but after thinking more on it I don’t mind spending the 5 minutes every few days to use the robot to clean the pool.

Lots more questions to come later, but one that I’m stuck on now is regarding a main drain, skimmers, and returns. For my 17’x32’ 15,000 gallon pool with spa and water feature, would 2 skimmers and 4 returns be the most optimal? Do I need a main drain? What are the pros and cons of having it?

Last edited:
Equipment-Pentair has good equipment. You NEED to know the models of the filters and such as there are many different sizes. You do not want to go too small on the filter as that will mean more work down the road for you. Also the kind of filter is important. Here is a link to the different kinds of filters:

Do I need a main drain
No you do not HAVE to have a main drain. There a pros/cons for them:
-a main drain can work even if the skimmer box gets full of "stuff" (leaves or pool toys)
-a main drain can help mix the water more when heated/cooled or adding chemicals
-if you have a "sport" pool aka 5' of less main drains can be a toe stubber
-piping under the shell could a source of leaks down the road IF they break from shifting ground or such (not very likely)

If you do have a main drain make sure it is:

VGBA Safety Drains​

Since December 2008 the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act has required all drains sold in the US, and thus installed in new pools, to be VGBA compliant. These are safety drain covers that prevent anyone from being sucked onto the drain and entrapped. They are mandatory primary safety devices that should be installed on all new pools.

VGBA compliant drains either have two round intakes spaced at least 36" apart, a large square drain, or a wide horizontal drain. VGBA intakes can be placed on the pool floor or on a wall.

I LOVE these main drains:

Jordy,

I have three pools. My two renthouse pools do not have operating main drains, while the pool at my house does. I cannot tell any operational difference between the three pools. I see no advantage to having a main drain. The idea that if the water level drops below the skimmer the main drain will work is only true if you have a working "floating diverter" valve. My experience with them is that they only work about 50% of the time and are just a pain in the rear. Keep in mind that if you do go with an IFCS, that some kind of main drain will be required as part of the IFCS.

One pool has only two returns, one has three returns, and my pool has 4 returns. I can tell the difference in operation, but I think the shape of the pool and the location of the returns is the main factor. I always recommend 4 returns, basically one on each "wall" of the pool. The idea being you want the returns to cause the water in the pool to swirl like a giant flushing toilet bowel, but of course very, very slowly. This action drags the floating debris in front of the skimmers.

The two older pools only have one skimmer, and my pool has two skimmers. It is clear that having two skimmer is the better option. If you have a VS pump, it will mostly run at a low RPM, two skimmers give you twice the skimming action a single skimmer does. If one skimmer gets overloaded with debris, the other skimmer will take up the slack. I always recommend two skimmers for new pools.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Winter247
I wish we had gotten the IFC. We had one before but decided against it this time and have a robot. I miss my IFC. Last year we had a couple of huge dust storms and my robot had a hard time getting the pool clean. One of the storms took 4 days of running the robot multiple times a day to finally get it clean.

depth of the shelf is either 6 or 9 inches below the waterline
Go measure the chairs your thinking about and go from there for your shelf depth. Make sure your PB is looking at WATER depth. Some do depth as from the bottom of the pool to just under the coping instead of WATER depth which is from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer opening which is the middle of the water line tile most of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.