New Pool Construction Education Resources

czb182

Oct 20, 2020
North Virgina
Hello, just joined, first post. I've been casually reading for a couple weeks, but getting more serious about pool ownership now. I am in process of getting bids for pool. I'm trying to educate myself on pool mechanics and best practices regarding construction. Ideally I can build a list of implementation details into contract, to make sure I have a well designed pool, but its kind of overwhelming for a beginner. Looking for addition resource recommendations. All I really know now is getting a 14 x 28 pool, SWCG, heated. Bids I have so far are either Jandy or Pentair.
The kinds of question i'm hoping to answer
1. Plumbing - what size piping, what kind, used where, how connected, how deep, how run from pad to returns/skimmers/(mains?), ideal design, etc
2. Equipment selection, ideally item numbers in contract, too confused to pick things now I think.
3. Pool shell, rebar thickness, supports, do I even have to worry about this since built to engineer spec
4. Backfill. I will have about a 36" drop from house to backside of yard , so builders are going to build up back side/sides using excavated dirt. This has me kinda worried since we will be installing about 4' of pavers around pool(techo bloc), so what about setting over the years. Soil clay.
5. pool finish, long last, looking at diamond brite, alternatives?
6. bonding - should i worry about how far from pool is bonding, or how water is bonded

Probably other things as well. Hoping someone can point out some resources with concise information of current best practices, so can make sure pool builder is following. I'm sure they will all build a long lasting pool. I'm more worried about ongoing cost, electricity and gas cost, so building an efficient pool and also a pool that heats evenly, stays clean, etc.

Thanks, looking forward to sharing more of this journey as I progress

Item 4 - I would pay particular attention to that one. Backfilling to raise an area can be troublesome. I'm in soil clay and it's horrible. You may wish to contact an engineer who specializes in your local soil conditions and water table to be better prepared for your builder. Builders will say what they need to get a job. Some base their opinion on local install experience and not scientific data. A third party may help to prevent problems years down the road. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

pool builder is going to backfill trenches using dirt dug as well as raise area around pool using that dirt. They say will probably need a retaining wall on backside to prevent it from settling away. I asked about doing gravel backfill in trenches at least, but they don't do that. I'm going to probably go with another contract for hardscape, not sure there approach. Need at least 4:1 slope for HOA grading, so 30" raised will need 120" out. Everybody warranties their work for 1 year, so probably no one cares if it settles in a couple of years : /

Question regarding pavers, they are supposed to have a gradual slope away from home for drainage, but pool will be level I assume, so does the pavers go flat where pool is, and only sloped before and after pool? o

I'd say get a wall built. My neighbor didn't and after 10 years you could see under the deck on the back side were the soil had creeped away. His was about 8 ft with a 3 ft drop. After our pool was installed I asked the PB if it would be advisable. He stated it couldn't hurt, get your landscaper here to see. I had a little over 2 foot drop with a 9 foot run but was worried about the creep. The landscaper stated I could get away without the wall but it will creep over time. He wanted to get in before the PB finished his back fill so he could put matting from the wall to under the backfill. I opted to get the wall, glad I did it added a nice feature to the pool deck.
Landscaping the budget buster that nobody really know how much it will be. :cool:

We're just finishing the landscaping I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for pics, I'll try to get a quote for cost difference. Right now I've been considering have the pool people change the soil with granular lime and crushed rock at each compaction layer to strength the soil up. Its recommended for the patio (techo bloc) on clay, so thinking instead of just the compacted layer which the techo bloc is on, if every layer of backfill is done that way, would be stronger. Still waiting on PP to get back. Everbody so busy, takes weeks for response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.