New pool, can I add salt now?

akropp

Dec 2, 2018
Tarrytown/NY
My pool was installed over the winter here in New York, so after the brushing phase, they closed it without adding any of the salt, and said they would do it when they opened it this spring. They came out at the beginning of last week and opened it and cleaned it, but because they were “busy”, they didn’t set up the SWG or add the salt, and just threw a bunch of chlorine tabs in the skimmers and told me I could go ahead and use the pool and they would come back to finish when they were less busy (supposedly this week, but that hasn’t happened).

I have been testing the water, and the levels are fine, except that they did not add any stabilizer (my CYA was zero). But the FC levels were actually on the high side (7-9 at first, gradually dropping off as the tabs dissolved). When it was clear they weren’t coming back soon enough, I bought some more tabs to keep up the FC. I ended up accidentally getting trichlor tabs, so I actually now have some CYA as well (not very practiced at the test yet, so not confident in it, but I think at least 20).

Anyways, considering I will be lucky to get them back once more, I want them to be able to turn on the SWG when they come to confirm everything is working (and because I’m not sure they programmed it in my automation set up yet); but as I understand it, the salt should be in the pool for 24 hours before turning it on, so if I wait for them to come to put it in, they will have to come back yet again (who knows when) to actually set it up. I asked them if I can just go ahead and add the salt now, but they said “no, we have to do some special tests first with special equipment we have” or something like that.

This is my long-winded way of asking: any harm in just dumping all of the salt in now, so it is dissolved and ready when they show up?

I asked them if I can just go ahead and add the salt now, but they said “no, we have to do some special tests first with special equipment we have” or something like that.
Hummmm, I don't understand that either. There shold be no harm in adding the salt to let it dissolve now, but they are your builder and they should honor any pool/equipment warranty. For that reason, as long as they are willing to return to the job site, I would follow their instructions. Just treat your pool as a non-SWG pool on the FC/CYA Levels. I don't see which test kit you have in yoru signature, so make sure to watch your CYA with those tabs. Definately do NOT let them sit in the skimmer basket. They need to be placed within an inline chlorinator or floater desiged for that purpose. Also, watch your pH as those tabs are acidic and can lower yoru pH. If your water is still chilly, that could be a problem.

For now, you can use the tabs a bit longer then use regular bleach until they come out to do all their magical tests. :)

Reactions: akropp
Well, I got impatient and dumped the salt in this morning (a bit less than I calculated I need, just to be sure I don’t overshoot). They are coming tomorrow morning, so I wanted it to be ready to go so they can turn on the SWG and make sure it is working. Thanks for the heads up; I wish I had read a bit more about those tabs and not stuck them in my skimmers (either the ones they put in were just chlorine or they didn’t care, because that’s where they put them). I hope one round of using them didn’t do any damage to anything — they are pretty much gone now. My FC is at 8 right now, so hopefully it will stick around high enough until the SWG is running — if not I’ll definitely just be adding bleach.

My PH has actually still been rising (was up to 7.8 this morning from 7.2 a week ago), so the tabs weren’t having that much effect. My water is at 84°, so not too chilly. ;) I am still getting a lot of dust in my pool, almost as if now that it is warm, the plaster is doing a bit more curing (the water was hovering just above freezing for the month I was brushing it after the install).

they didn’t care, because that’s where they put them
Pool maintenance personnel typically add the Trichlor tabs to the skimmer. They do not care if damage occurs, because they expect you will pay them to fix it! A couple tabs should be no issue. If you need to use tabs for any reason , get a floating dispenser.

Reactions: akropp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.