New Pool Build - Northern California

Here are the end cap options

optional-ends-600.gif

You're younger than I am - well, I assume everyone is!!! So I'm probably not the best one to answer. At this point in my pool build, I'm just worn out. I have barely enough energy left to be concerned over the structural or mechanical issues. I'm saying "sure" to so many aesthetic questions asked by sub-contractors!!! Since I overthink too much anyway, I don't think I'll have any big regrets later. Like the crooked little glass tile that was the last one placed under the waterline tile. To me it's a cute story. But if it had happened at the beginning of the build, I might have asked for it to be corrected. I like this part of me better.

Your place is amazing no matter what at this point! Absolutely amazing!
Suz.

I ordered the beveled (square edge) to try to stay with the modern theme. Option 2

I received the mitered. Option 1.

So far no price difference - one suggestion from the company was to cut the beams and rafters shorter and then they would then send me the different end caps. I am not thrilled with that idea as it is part of why I ordered it all pre-cut. As it is I will be cutting the 4 posts and 8 post covers to fit our steel supports, so I am already committed to 12 cuts - what is 18 more that need to be perfect and square!!! Re-cutting all the beams and rafters makes them shorter than what I paid for.

Hmmm, I wonder what discount would make me happy with it...

Is this a kit you ordered with instructions to put it together yourself? As my deck is nearing completion, I see an area or two I would like a pergola. For us to do all the measuring and cutting to build one - well, I'm not sure that would go well. But if it is something like a kit, that might work.
Thanks,
Suz.

Yes it is a kit - so you figure out what size you want, color, end caps, and posts.

There is quite a bit of prep work to do a free standing one - you might need special concrete footers and structural things - if it is hung off the house it looks like it might be easier???

There are several companies that sell the system - Alumawood is the material, and they have plants in different parts of the country so shipping is easier. We ordered ours and received it in a few weeks.

I am looking over the instructions now - basically drilling holes, cut a few things to length, tons and tons of self drilling metal screws that need to be installed. There are 175 screws alone to screw the top lattice pieces on...

Psssssttttt Suz- how do you keep a page??

It depends which device I'm using.
Cell phone: I use a share button from my browser. Then I can text or email it to myself. I prefer email, so I can save it to a folder in my email. I make sure my subject line specifies the point of interest for me.

Computer: I usually copy the url and paste that in an email to myself. Sometimes, if I'm doing research from multiple sources, I will copy the info I want to save and then paste it to a Word Doc.

I'm NOT a tech person, so these may be antiquated and laughable methods. But I know how to use them, and they work for me.

Hope it made sense!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're younger than I am - well, I assume everyone is!!! So I'm probably not the best one to answer. At this point in my pool build, I'm just worn out. I have barely enough energy left to be concerned over the structural or mechanical issues. I'm saying "sure" to so many aesthetic questions asked by sub-contractors!!! Since I overthink too much anyway, I don't think I'll have any big regrets later. Like the crooked little glass tile that was the last one placed under the waterline tile. To me it's a cute story. But if it had happened at the beginning of the build, I might have asked for it to be corrected. I like this part of me better.

Your place is amazing no matter what at this point! Absolutely amazing!
Suz.

Suz, that is how I feel. I told my husband today, "I'm just tired of it and ready for it to be done!"
And I am. I'm anxious to get the pebble sheen and the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends which device I'm using.
Cell phone: I use a share button from my browser. Then I can text or email it to myself. I prefer email, so I can save it to a folder in my email. I make sure my subject line specifies the point of interest for me.

Computer: I usually copy the url and paste that in an email to myself. Sometimes, if I'm doing research from multiple sources, I will copy the info I want to save and then paste it to a Word Doc.

I'm NOT a tech person, so these may be antiquated and laughable methods. But I know how to use them, and they work for me.

Hope it made sense!
Suz.

Yep! Thanks! Now if I can just remember it when I find info I want to keep....

I like the beveled ends, has a finished modern look to it. If they were to send the caps for you to attach and compensate you enough for the extra work you would have do, that would be fine. Other wise, have them send the right product, and pick up the wrong one. The shipping alone should have them offering you a decent discount.

I have asked for some end caps and a discount - we will see what the reply is. I don't really want to wait a long time for replacements beams and rafters. I think I could live with the mitered ends - and with the larger beams possible using the beveled ends it should look fine.

We now have the second discount applied to our build, and new end caps on the way. I will compare the new end caps and will most likely use them on just the largest beams that are more visible.

Now to start cutting metal and getting this thing started...

Oh and we have our last fence going in right now, the final plumbing and electrical being completed, equipment hookup, and me building out the new pergola. All at the same time!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.