New Pool build --- Northern California **4/12/21 start date**

Paging the design queen for my build thread
You rang???? Hi! Not sure how I missed this fun thread!!!

Seating! You cannot have too much seating..............you have 3 kids of your own............we all know that means there will be at least 6 kids PLUS their adults in that yard!!!

How deep are you thinking?

So where is the FULL design with measurements?

Kim :kim:

Reactions: JC707
If you do have room for a planter space with your changing plans. . . Ferns are great if it's shady. The neat thing about ferns is you can mow them down and they'll come back. You could plant lilies. Rosemary which I mentioned on another thread. Impatients. Dianthus. All of those neat flowering plants you see at the store that have shallower roots in those tiny containers, the seasonal types. What's fun is having that pop of color, but as always check your hardiness zone and figure out what grows best in your climate.

I asked builder to send me a photo of the layout with all dimensions. I'll post it once I get it for sure!

We opted for the additional seating concrete platform.

One thing I can't decide is having a bench spanning the length of pool on one side or not. We've swam in friends pool and liked it as my young kiddos could take breaks anywhere while swimming since the bench was available. But our pool will be not a big width, it was 15' wide and I got it extended to 15.5" wide as a compromise with my wife since our backyard is pretty narrow to begin with and she doesn't want pool too close to house.

If you do have room for a planter space with your changing plans. . . Ferns are great if it's shady. The neat thing about ferns is you can mow them down and they'll come back. You could plant lilies. Rosemary which I mentioned on another thread. Impatients. Dianthus. All of those neat flowering plants you see at the store that have shallower roots in those tiny containers, the seasonal types. What's fun is having that pop of color, but as always check your hardiness zone and figure out what grows best in your climate.

Thanks we will definitely check those out. I believe our zone is 8-9. We ended up changing our planting area from 2' now at 3.5' and decking from 3.5' to now at 4'. They scooted the pool over to make room without making the pool length smaller.

Need some opinions on bench placement. We know we want a bench to span the length of pool and originally had it on the water sheer descent side as I would love to sit under the sheer descents but figured kids will be jumping off that small platform and it may be a bit dangerous with benches right there.

So we moved it to the other side which seems better as you can sit down and view the sheer decents and get a slightly better view instead of facing the house. But we now realize maybe smaller kids will jump off that side as well.

Where would the bench placement be better? Thank you.

Edit: we confirmed with builder, benches would stick out 18" from wall with a few inches of cantilever coping on our backside. They said this length was usually standard for them due to the coping sticking out into pool a few inches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-150233_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-150233_Samsung Internet.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Need some opinions on bench placement. We know we want a bench to span the length of pool and originally had it on the water sheer descent side as I would love to sit under the sheer descents but figured kids will be jumping off that small platform and it may be a bit dangerous with benches right there.

So we moved it to the other side which seems better as you can sit down and view the sheer decents and get a slightly better view instead of facing the house. But we now realize maybe smaller kids will jump off that side as well.

Where would the bench placement be better? Thank you.

Edit: we confirmed with builder, benches would stick out 18" from wall with a few inches of cantilever coping on our backside. They said this length was usually standard for them due to the coping sticking out into pool a few inches.
We had ours placed along the back wall and as a happy accident it ended up under the sheer descent waterfall on that end. Half of the bench is in the waterfall and half is open. My wife likes to sit under the waterfall, I haven't tried it yet because we have only had water a few days. We don't have kids at home anymore, but will have rules about where kids in the pool can jump from when there are kids around.

Okay so we know just about everyone who is going to jump into the pool will be doing so as they run from the house to the pool. That takes the bench from the house side.

I don't think they will jump as often from the far side and you can make a NO jumping run for that area..............wait........... I have an idea! Okay do have the bench on the far side. Have it go from one water fall to the other. That way it does not go all the way to the end of the wall THEN put some WAY different coping on that decking by where there is NO bench. That will show everyone where it is safe to jump! The best of both worlds!!!

I would do some tile on the edge of the bench to help it stand out!

Kim:kim:

Personally, I like it under the sheer decent. If you look back at my pics, my kids never had an issue. Jump right over it at that height. But, I was a bit concerned too. Also made a nice place to rest when swimming and kids love walking through and behind the water falls. You will find adults like to set in them with the water flowing, especially if warm water is being pumped through. Put some step markers on it for more visibility. I have glass markers on my current pool and love them.

Reactions: kimkats
Thank you everyone! I am heavily leaning on moving the bench under the sheer descents. Is there some sort of standard of the sheer descents shooting out into the water, like 2 feet shooting out into water? Our bench will stick out 18", I wonder if the waterfalls descents will shoot out past anyone sitting on the bench? That would be pretty cool!

That will depend on how high you mount the descents and the speed you are running the water feature pump at. With only having mine mounted 12" above the water I can turn the other water feature off and run the pump on high and is shoots it out a good couple feet, but anyone sitting there would still be taller than the waterfall

Oh another thing I forgot to mention. The 3 LED lights will be on the house side (shining away from house) under where the bench is currently located in my pic. So if I move the bench under sheer decents, would it be an issue sitting on bench with lights shining in your face?

That will depend on how high you mount the descents and the speed you are running the water feature pump at. With only having mine mounted 12" above the water I can turn the other water feature off and run the pump on high and is shoots it out a good couple feet, but anyone sitting there would still be taller than the waterfall
Gotcha. Our raised wall there is only 21" high.

Oh another thing I forgot to mention. The 3 LED lights will be on the house side (shining away from house) under where the bench is currently located in my pic. So if I move the bench under sheer decents, would it be an issue sitting on bench with lights shining in your face?
I don't think so, even when swimming the lights aren't too bothersome. You just don't want to look at the light source from inside the house or main deck area. Does not look as nice when you see the lights as apposed to looking at the lighted pool. Does that make sense?

Thanks! Makes perfect sense.

I made a small sketch of a redesign...includes bench running halfway on far wall under 1 sheer decent and leaves open the other side of wall so people can jump off with no worries. Not sure if we need a small step out of pool near the far side on other side of sheer decent?

Attachments

• 20201022_095333.jpg
    20201022_095333.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.