New pool build in South Florida .. finally! [Tons of pics]

So here begins my battel to lower the PH on our new pool, the maintenance guy has only been here once, I've been brushing daily but aside from the acid he added last week nothing else has been done to the water. So I'm taking the matter into my own hands. From the TF100 kit, my PH is AT LEAST 9, I've so far added 14 Oz of acid and is still high, let's see tomorrow. Also added bleach, completely missed the % option on the PoolMath app and added 62oz by mistake, should have been 40 oz, now I have plenty of chlorine, hopefully, the sun will help me lower it

Does pump speed matter at all when adding acid?

When I add acid I run mine on high (have a 2 speed) for about 15 mins or so to help mix it in good.

So you are in a battle with the pH. Here is your battle plan:
-Test pH
-Use Pool Math to see how much to add to get the pH to 7.8
-Add that much acid with the pump on high and maybe brush the pool as well to really mix it in good
-wait 30 mins AND TEST AGAIN!

Keep doing the above until you see your pH in the 7s. It might take a few rounds as we really don't know how high it is.

Also keep a close eye on your TA as it will be lowered by the acid as well.

Good luck and go win that pH battle!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Lineman7
When I add acid I run mine on high (have a 2 speed) for about 15 mins or so to help mix it in good.

So you are in a battle with the pH. Here is your battle plan:
-Test pH
-Use Pool Math to see how much to add to get the pH to 7.8
-Add that much acid with the pump on high and maybe brush the pool as well to really mix it in good
-wait 30 mins AND TEST AGAIN!

Keep doing the above until you see your pH in the 7s. It might take a few rounds as we really don't know how high it is.

Also keep a close eye on your TA as it will be lowered by the acid as well.

Good luck and go win that pH battle!

Kim:kim:
On it! Im getting concerned as Im starting see spots of discoloration or white spots on the plaster.

On it! Pool guy came in, told him that I've been adding acid, he's like "yea that's ok" and BAM! Added a bunch of acid, maybe half gallon? He also added balancer and went on his way, now the PH is low low, below 6.8 for sure.

Electrical inspection failed because our fence wasn't bonded...Grrrrrr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my neighborhood some use Areca palms as "fences" but I'm not sure the downsides of doing that. We have some bushes planted right next to our screen that provides some privacy (Clusia). They are fairly slow growing and work for us.

Sigh, I can't believe I'm going to write this, but here it goes. What a crazy turns of events the last hours have been. Saturday night we were sitting by the pool, kids are swimming, beautiful afternoon, and my wife's uncle is here with my mother in law and says "the best house on this city just went up for sale, it has everything, look at the pictures". A house that not in my wildest dreams I would have thought of purchasing, too expensive, too big, a house out of my reach really. House was beautiful. My mother in law, who's our realtor says, lets just go see it, is not like we have nothing else to do. (Yes, we are all quarantining, with no social contact). Got the kids off the pool and off we went to see this house. OH MY GAWD, beatiful house, in person is stunning, my MIL jokingly says "you can afford this, rent your current home, place an offer", my wife is all excited. We got back home and my MIL is throwing numbers around, my wife is throwing numbers around, and I'm like "ooh sh*t, we can pull this off", but still, not looking forward to move, we just got beatiful pool put in!!!

So we place an offer and I told my MIL, I will not fight for this house, this is my offer, if they want it, great, else I don't mind. I'm enjoying my new pool which I just spent $40k on. MIL says, by the way, I know the sellers realtor. To make a long story short, in 48 hours they accepted the offer and now I'm working on my loan. SIGHHHHHHHHH I hate, hate, hate the fact that I just spent all this time and effort for someone else to enjoy.

However the new house is beautiful, it has a bigger pool and spa, so plenty of toys for me (and this forum) to play with. I have to go tomorrow and do the inspection where I will get to really see what they have as far as equipment etc.

• Wow
Reactions: S S
What a crazy turns of events the last hours have been
Life happens, And we are just spectators sometimes. I’m further along in a similar story. Moving in a few weeks. It wasn’t as quick as yours but it did still come out of left field and 60 days later I’m loading up the house.

It also gave me some perspective. 8 years ago I built a pool with a concrete shell that would last forever. Now somebody else gets to have it and the archeologists will find *his* pool a few thousand years from now. The 30-40 year lifespan of a steel walled pool will for all intents and purposes still be a lifetime pool for me now, So I’ll go that route on the next one if it saves anything significant and my builder will do it.

Life happens, And we are just spectators sometimes. I’m further along in a similar story. Moving in a few weeks. It wasn’t as quick as yours but it did still come out of left field and 60 days later I’m loading up the house.

It also gave me some perspective. 8 years ago I built a pool with a concrete shell that would last forever. Now somebody else gets to have it and the archeologists will find *his* pool a few thousand years from now. The 30-40 year lifespan of a steel walled pool will for all intents and purposes still be a lifetime pool for me now, So I’ll go that route on the next one if it saves anything significant and my builder will do it.
Good call, same here, I put concrete under my pavers all for my renters to enjoy

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.