New pool build in South Florida .. finally! [Tons of pics]

Deck is next, we're looking at Wednesday or Thursday, then plaster and start up! We could do plaster first but I've read horror stories of paver debris getting into the brand new plaster so I'd rather do the deck first

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So while nothing was being worked on today, it gave me time to start thinking about once we finally finish the build and begin swimming in it. Hence, how do I keep the pool "trouble free".

1. Should I start getting the test kit already? TF-100?
2. Is this kit something I buy once, or do I need to buy every so often? (Can you tell I'm a rookie at pools, never owned one so bear with me)
3. I know TF-100 is sponsored by this forum (or vice-versa), but out of curiosity what is the main difference between this kit and all the others in the market today?
4. Recommended chemicals I should start getting?
5. And lastly, I plan to do the maintenance myself, however, how time-consuming is it? I'm all about saving money, any day of the week. In my area, a cleaning company charges $85/m to come out once a week. What am I looking to spend if I do it myself?

Last edited:
Great job thinking ahead!!!

1. Should I start getting the test kit already? TF-100?
I would go ahead and get your test kit. Look in my siggy for the TF-100 as I believe it is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use most often.

2. Is this kit something I buy once, or do I need to buy every so often? (Can you tell I'm a rookie at pools, never owned one so bear with me)
VERY good question!!! You will need to buy replacement regents about once a year. TF-100 has sells about twice a year so you should be good until next year!

3. I know TF-100 is sponsored by this forum (or vice-versa), but out of curiosity what is the main difference between this kit and all the others in the market today?
Have I got a link for you!! Test Kits Compared The site and test kit company are two separate companies BUT they are owned by the same person. It is a family business.

4. Recommended chemicals I should start getting?
Here is your shopping list:
-2 2cup plastic measuring cups with the oz listed on the side. One will be for muriatic acid only, the other for all other chemicals
-white plate to hold up behind the tubes to help you color match the pH test.
-where are you going to get liquid chlorine/bleach from? Do you have a pool store by you that sells it in the "rented" jugs? If not then look at your local Walmart or Lowes for liquid chlorine. Make sure to check the date codes at Lowes though!
-muriatic acid-outside by the pool stuff. comes 2 to a box. Make sure it is the 31% stuff.
-a plastic trash can or such to store the m. acid in. It needs to be well vented. You will need to find a place outside to store it away from metal or chlorine. Their fumes do not play well together. Heat nor sun will hurt it so find an an out of the way place to put it.
-plastic plates, cups, fun stuff to by the pool. NO glass allowed!

5. And lastly, I plan to do the maintenance myself, however, how time-consuming is it? I'm all about saving money, any day of the week. In my area, a cleaning company charges $85/m to come out once a week. What am I looking to spend if I do it myself?
another link for you: Basic Pool Care Schedule - Trouble Free Pool I will tell you the first couple of times you do the test will take a you a little while. You will have to go slow as you read the directions, start to do it but need to read again to make sure you know what to do then .................well it will get better as you get comfortable with the tests.

Keep a GOOD journal of your day to day and week to week tests will help you learn your pool. After a while you will know just what your pool needs just by looking at it. It will change from season to season AFTER the new plaster cures. The curing will "cause some problems" but they are short lived and easy to work through...............it is mainly the pH. We will help you with that when the time comes.

Costs-my 2 pack of m. acid lasts a couple of years so not biggie
- liquid chlorine-I have a 26,500 gal pool. In the summer I use 6 cups or so each day to keep my FC up. I run a CYA of around 50. Here is a chart for that: FC/CYA Levels the more CYA you have the more FC you will need BUT the less the sun will use up so it is a wash once you get your FC up where you want it. I can buy 10 gals of 11% chlorine for $21.76. It lasts for about 2 weeks so it is all good to me!

Kim:kim:

I was dead set on hiring a pool cleaning company cause I thought it was a huge pain and they didn't charge much ($80-$90 like you said) but after seeing what they actually do, I figured it's just a giant waste of money. I bought the TF100 kit and will do it myself.

Muriatic acid in Home Depot - Chlorine, CYA, Salt at Walmart - Sequestrant at Pinch a Penny.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
-muriatic acid-outside by the pool stuff. comes 2 to a box. Make sure it is the 31% stuff.

Hey Kim, so from your list I'm getting that as far as chemicals I need:
  1. Liquid chlorine
  2. Muriatic Acid
  3. Obviously salt
From other threads, especially Jorge's thread, they name the following as well?
  • Chlorine Stabilizer
  • CYA
  • Sequestrant

• Chlorine Stabilizer
  • CYA
These are the same thing. Some times it is called "balancer". It comes in a powder form. Do NOT follow the directions on the bottle. You should put it in some socks (yeah like you wear) and hang it off a broom handle over the side of the pool right in front of a return or two. You can squeeze it to help it dissolve faster.

GREAT job looking at others and getting what I forgot to tell you.............salt=NO for 30 days though. You can buy it but do NOT put it in yet. I forget why but you are not to add it for the first 30 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.