New Pool Build in NJ

Hi Joe,
I don't know if you're getting a liner or gunite pool but either way I vote to build it whenever you can and don't put it off. Only because if you can do it before the winter and decide to push it to spring "just because" you never know what the weather will bring. There could be crazy rain that delays the builder by a month. I'm in southern NY (right next to NJ) and everyone backfills with the dig dirt. It settles big time and if you let it sit over a winter and then do decking / landscaping you'll know it's been compacted. I wold put off something (like landscaping) till the next year in order to get a heater. You'll love it. You'll be able to swim 5 months out of the year. 7 months if you want to swim in April and October, though the air is cold then and I don't feel the need to. I keep the pool open for looks though :) If you don't get one from the start, dig and plumb for it for the future. You'll spend a lot of money (and make a total mess) trenching for it down the road.
Chris

^^This, yes. We wired and plumbed for one, which was an extra $400. We are going to try one season without and see how it goes.

Heater for sure. I added solar this year was worth it I had 90s water all summer for free. And do not backfill with dirt use 3/4 clean gravel. For a few hundred cost wise it's well worth it it will never settle or heave.
Dont skip the geo if going with pavers

I started ours in late May and finished early October. I think I would have been better off to start in late January or early February...after the holidays and way before it gets to be hot...95 degrees mid-summer with humidity and mosquitos and bugs in middle TN is pretty uncomfortable.

Hello everyone,

I’m in the process of installing a 13,000 gallon vinyl in ground pool. Im requesting some advice on where to locate the filter. The filtration will consist of a 300k btu gas heater, Pentair intelliflow VS pump, DE filter and a SWG. The gas meter is 20 feet away from the electric panel in the basement of the home. I’ve included the survey of my home along with three potential locations.
Location A is located right next to the pool and is 120 feet away from the electric panel. In this location I will be building a shed like enclosure with a sheer descent waterfall fountain going into the pool. Hence the close proximity to the pool.
Location B is 60 feet from the pool and 10 feet from the electric panel.
Location C is 63 feet from the pool and 100 feet from the electric panel.
Locations B & C are 6 inches higher in elevation than the inground pool.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Joe

Attachments

• 3CFF8DB2-4C4F-4C68-81EA-9FAA4197631E.jpeg
    3CFF8DB2-4C4F-4C68-81EA-9FAA4197631E.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 36
I would put your equipment pad in the back corner of your property to the left of A towards where the words Filter Shed are on your drawing. What heater will you be installing? A heater can be noisy when it is running and you don't want it right next to where people will be. Also plan where the heater exhaust will be blown to.

You will need to run a trench to the equipment pad for the electrical feed to a subpanel by the pool and the gas line and a water fill line from the house. But that trench will be a lot smaller then if you run all your pool plumbing to B or C. In addition you don't want to be hiking back and forth when you want to make adjustments to the pool equipment and see the result or when you are winterizing it.

Last edited:
I looked at the picture you have there. To me, I like the equipment pad close to the pool for many reasons, besides having it next to the home may be noisy. Having it closer to the pool when you have to see results of doing a change or a problem arises has a big advantage. The electric needs to be figured out due to the long run and the gas line just needs to be upsized as per the calculations.

Wow. Never thought about the heater making noise. The trench and being able to view the changes when servicing the filter. Definitely wouldn’t want the heater next to my bedroom. I guess closest to the pool will do. Thank you for your help ajw, wire and Jim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all,

I’m in the process of planning for an in ground 15k Vinyl pool. I’m trying to determine the best location for the filter in reference to noise. The two choose I have is 10’ from the pool or 60’ away. If the filter is 10’ away will I be able to hear the filter running while in the pool. I would be installing a Pentair intelliflo which I’ve heard “that their so quiet that you can’t even hear them running”.

I just want the pool to be quiet and peaceful as possible without a humming noise coming from the pump.

Thank you everyone,
Joe

Joe,

The IntelliFlo is quiet when running on a low speed and just as noisy as a single speed pump when running at full speed. The whole point of having a VS pump is to run it as slow as possible..

I have my IntelliFlo installed right outside of my bedroom window and my pump runs 24/7.. I can't hear it run even if I try to hear it when I am in bed..

When I first got the pump I had to touch it a couple of times, just to make sure it was still running.. :mrgreen: It is over five years old now and either I am used to it or it is making a little more noise, as when I stand next to the pump I can tell it is running, but it is still almost noiseless.

I run it at 1200 RPM most of the time. If I turn on the waterfall the speed increase to 2800 RPM. At 2800 RPM, if I try, I can hear it in the bedroom, but still not loud enough to notice if not trying to hear it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Thank you for replying. I did not take into consideration the noise level running at a higher rpm.
I too will have a waterfall. How do you turn on your waterfall? And does the intelliflo automatically ramp up to a higher rpm?

Joe,

I have an EasyTouch automation system. It is what tells my pump what speed to run based upon the schedule I have set up..

I assume the only time you would run your waterfall is when you are using the pool. It would not be normal to run the waterfall at night, when you would be worried about the noise... :mrgreen:

The IntelliFlo is designed to be used with an automation system.

To turn on a water fall, a valve has to move.. This can be done using automation or manually. If done manually, the pump would not know to increase its speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, Thank you for your help. I didn’t realize the intelliflo was designed to be used with automation. So if I want to turn on the waterfall I would manually open the valve and increase the flow on the intelliflo? Is this correct?

Can you recommend a reputable automation device that will control a waterfall and a slide? One that won’t break the bank but is reliable.

Aj, I didn’t even think about the noise from the heater. Thank you. I’m starting without the heater but again the noise is a concern. I was planning on placing the filter pad outside the bedroom wall but might have to reconsider. I might be able to install it out side the bedroom assuming that it will only be on during the day and not during the night when we sleep. What do you think?

Joe,

Any pool automation system that you can buy and use right off the shelf is going to be $1,500 to $2,000 bucks and that is if you were going to self install..

If, however, you are into Home Automation, it seems it would be easy enough to kluge something together that would work. Basically you would need something that would remotely open and close a SPDT relay, and a 24 VAC transformer.. and a standard Jandy valve actuator. You would take the 24 VAC and connect it to the common connection on the SPDT relay. The 24 VAC would go through the NC relay contacts and this would move the valve actuator all the way to off position. When you remotely told the relay to energize, the 24 VAC would go through the NO relay contacts and drive the actuator to the open position, which allow water to go to the waterfall. This same 24 VAC could also be used to tell the pump to run at whatever speed you needed to make the waterfall look good.

So... "Alexa, turn on the waterfall"... and the valve turns and the pump increases in speed.

I am not into home automation, but would assume these items would be known to those that are.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
I’m going to be installing my inground pool come February. I know that electric has to be 18” deep in electric PVC pipe. Can I also run plumbing in the same trench. Maybe a little deeper than 18” ?

Thanks,
Joe

Yes, typically the pool plumbing is placed first and the electrical conduit is run on top.

Dig the trench 2" deeper than needed and add 2" of sand. After the pipes/conduit is run add 2" of sand on top then backfill in lifts compacting along the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.