New pool build in Missouri. Finally started. First pool. Lots of pictures!

If you are passing on the built in goal, regarding aftermarket goals, if you don't mind the slightly obnoxious look of this one, the engineering of it is very good. We have one going on a about 5 years - perfect shape. The base itself weighs 500 pounds when full. Love it.

Splash and Slam

I could hardly get my wife on board with a removable basketball goal slotted into an in-deck sleeve. I don't think she's gonna go for one of the ones with the big heavy base. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I could hardly get my wife on board with a removable basketball goal slotted into an in-deck sleeve. I don't think she's gonna go for one of the ones with the big heavy base. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I would think this guy might be able to do some convincing...
Who's pool does she think this is anyway??????
Screenshot_20190703-043913.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
The wifey didn't have issues with the in deck sleeve. She had issues regarding what would be going in the sleeve and how it would look (bball goal). Haha, great point about whose pool it is!

We got equipment and more travertine the last few days, plus an acid wash of the gunite. It looks like PebbleSheen is next week. I hope the equipment is all installed correctly, because I think my PB is getting sick of me questioning all of his ideas/suggestions/work.

Pardon the color/lighting on the pool deck pics, it was pretty dark.

Looking good! I really like the spacing of the pad equipment, though I will never understand why plumbers bring PVC up through concrete limiting later access.

Our basketball hoops, on the patio and pool, have provided probably thousands of hours of exercise and family time. I couldn't imagine not having them. It's important to identify your family's go to activities, which may change over time, and incorporating them.

I like your floor profile for a deep pool without a diving board. A flattish shallow end then deep.

The wifey didn't have issues with the in deck sleeve. She had issues regarding what would be going in the sleeve and how it would look (bball goal). Haha, great point about whose pool it is!

What about "the look"on his face when he sinks it from the water fall??? :whoot:

Have you really tried all the angles????? :scratch:

More things to do in pool = less "I'm bored"

BB Goal = more exercise (especially chasing the ball over that fence...)

More practice with BB = improved BB skills = BB scholarship = much nicer retirement...

Looking good! I really like the spacing of the pad equipment, though I will never understand why plumbers bring PVC up through concrete limiting later access.

I was going to comment on the pipes through the concrete but figured it was done already so why bother. The other think that irks me is cutting the return pipes low to the ground. The suction pipes have much more length for future repairs.

Nice size pad though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't mind me asking.... What did that RicoRock waterfall kit with the slide cost? I can't find any prices on their website??? I'm in the middle of getting quotes for a pool and wanting to put a diving board in, but my wife being a nurse is against a diving board, so something like what you have might be a better option. Can a full size man (200+ lbs) climb up on that rock work and jump off of it if he wanted without fear of anything collapsing?

In addition, should be 12"-18" of straight pipe before the SWG.
Do you think that may pose a problem?

that is one huge pool :oops:

Yeah, it's pretty big. I always wanted a pool with a deep end and my wife wanted a substantial shallow end, so the compromise was to make the pool big enough to accomodate both! Blew the roof off our budget, but YOLO.

We got our speakers installed in our mulch beds last week (went with four of these Rockustics Cherry Bomb speakers, each with a built in subwoofer that is buried). Got our accent tiles, PebbleTec Steel Blue. Getting electricity today. Our Ocean Blue PebbleSheen should be Wednesday, weather permitting!

Did a trial run for pool movie dive-in last night. (Don't worry, all the electrical stuff by the pool there won't be there when I'm done).

Reactions: Snikwah
If you don't mind me asking.... What did that RicoRock waterfall kit with the slide cost? I can't find any prices on their website??? I'm in the middle of getting quotes for a pool and wanting to put a diving board in, but my wife being a nurse is against a diving board, so something like what you have might be a better option. Can a full size man (200+ lbs) climb up on that rock work and jump off of it if he wanted without fear of anything collapsing?

It was expensive. We never got itemized costs on everything, but the RicoRock guy, Roger Brocker with Rocky Top Formations, said they usually cost between 40k and 60k. It was a ton of work. He came from out of town and he and one worker stayed in an extended stay hotel and spent 2.5 weeks building it, working from like 630am to 6pm daily. RicoRock has waterfall kits, grotto kits, and other kits, but no kit that incorporates all of the things we wanted. Roger had to get multiple kits and modify them to make this structure. I'd imagine if you went with just one of the kits that didn't require all the customized modification, it would be substantially less work and less cost.

I asked him how many kids the waterfall ledge could hold and he said "as many as you can fit up there". I weigh 185lbs and got up there and jumped up and down as hard as I could with no noticeable shift. He said it could hold at least 500lbs jumping.

Last edited:
Reactions: GosuPaintballer
One problem we have noticed is that the travertine is quite slippery when wet, particularly with bare feet. Sort of disappointed in that. It's tumbled and not "honed and polished" so I thought it would not be this bad. I purchased this Stone Grip stuff that is supposed to abrade the surface using caustic chemicals. I did it as a trial yesterday, and it made equivocal improvement in the test area. Not sure if I will proceed with purchasing 4 gallons to do the whole surface or not, because of the relatively minimal improvement. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you think that may pose a problem?

Many folks don't have the the recommended straight run and their SWG works fine. I would put the PB on notice that the install did not follow the Installation Manual and see how the SWG works once you get it going. Given the timing you may not really test the SWG until 2020.

No harm in requesting the PB fix the SWG placement to follow the Installation Manual.

Many folks don't have the the recommended straight run and their SWG works fine. I would put the PB on notice that the install did not follow the Installation Manual and see how the SWG works once you get it going. Given the timing you may not really test the SWG until 2020.

No harm in requesting the PB fix the SWG placement to follow the Installation Manual.
[/QUOT

Even if all the equipment is rated for exterior use, UV and Heat are always enemies of electronics and PVC. You can paint the PVC and protect it, but the equipment i rather have it either under a sun shade or small roof. Its a small investment agains the high value of the equipment. Mine is indoors with louvers for doors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.