New pool build in Missouri. Finally started. First pool. Lots of pictures!

So after massive rainstorms producing 4 inches of rain overnight the other night, there was a lot more erosion to our hole undermining our deck. Two of the concrete piers supporting the stairs are now exposed. The pool builder decided to build temporary supports for the deck.

I built some makeshift water barriers out of tarps to keep water from pouring down the hill directly onto the collapsing edge. I really hope this works. Unfortunately, we have much more rain to come this week. We were supposed to do Gunite middle this week and I’m not sure if it will get done because of the rain. I’m getting pretty nervous. We need to hurry and get backfill ASAP.

CC9E1B80-9E43-4DB0-B383-D7F0DA8C6642.jpeg2E9D22BE-836A-4188-9814-FA5CF29B983C.jpeg3437C729-2679-4895-8B1A-4D9A9A3F4C9A.jpegF6A499C3-69AE-4281-A61B-D19E2A2F4056.jpeg

They did a solid job of shoring it up!! At least they care!

Seriously. Even if the patio cracks, it should still support it by and large.

And it's cheaper to care now versus after it collapsed. I wouldn't have walked under that myself.

Hoping for a quick shoot and backfill. Then it's bullet proof.

Today was shotcrete day! And they even shot a bunch on the collapsing edge of my hole under the deck to reinforce it until backfill can be completed. I created this time lapse video using my nest camera:

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

Forgot to post these ugly pics. We had more and more rain coming even after those concrete deck footings became exposed. I asked the PB what they had planned to keep it from eroding even more and they just said they hoped it didn't rain much more. So I took matters into my own hands. Here are pictures of the homeless tent campsite shanty-town water barriers I put up to prevent runoff from running down to that low point. Seems like it worked as that area was bone dry even after the storms!

• Love
Reactions: PoolGate
Whew..... That must be a huge relief.. Nice job picking up the builders slack with the shanty town. Two items to pay close attention to.

It appears they used a crushed stone under the floor. This will tend to hold water and saturate the adjoining soil and could cause issues. It appears you have a low enough elevation in the back to accommodate a gravity wick drain out to daylight from the low point of the deep end. This is just a 4" ridged smooth walled perforated pipe encased in washed stone wrapped in filter fabric. A very low cost item to install now to give some insurance and piece of mind. Pitch is always preferred however this drain can be laid level if necessary. Personally I would install a perimeter drain around the entire pool and outfall it to daylight. This will allow you to use a more granular backfill material that can be properly compacted.

You have a huge backfill there. Ask your builder how he is going to achieve proper compaction to eliminate settling under your $$$ thousand dollar deck. Any type of proper backfill will be done in small lifts (1 foot max with the proper fill and compaction method). I would try to make time to be there for the backfill process. This seams to be a area where most pool builders either lack the proper knowledge or just don't care about the end soil condition where "your" deck will be installed. Settling issues can take years to occur and they are long gone by then.

One more note.. Now is the correct time to think of surface drainage and gutter down spouts as well. Solid piping can be run to the same outfall point to pick up surface storm drainage.

Reactions: kimkats
Well done on the tarps. Much better that "hope for the best"! REALLY??? NOPE! Take care of it like it should be and you did!

Have you started bonding with your new pool yet? aka watering it. You should water the shell as often as possible to help it cure slower. You may still have some small cracks but so long as they are not bigger than a dime you are okay.

I have a set of links to share about getting a good plaster job. Make sure to talk to your PB about what he does and how it compares to the info in the links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Also ask your PB what test kit he will be providing. Share it here so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I watered the pool twice daily for 10 days or so.

The plaster links are great. Not sure yet what pool test kit we are getting. I will find out.

Great advice RichD regarding drainage/settling issues. They installed a low well point that water will filter down to where we will have an automatic sump pump to kick on when it needs to be drained. There are also french drains leading to a low point.

We finally got backfill this week and they are starting on the low side retaining wall.

I KNOW you feel MUCH better with the backfill done!!! Can sleep better not worrying about that!!

That all looks awesome! Did you enjoy bonding with your new pool while you watered it??

What is the orange ^ pointing at?

Looks great..
Did they use the broken stone for the entire backfill?
If so then that is certainly takes care of any compaction concerns.

They installed a low well point that water will filter down to where we will have an automatic sump pump to kick on when it needs to be drained. There are also french drains leading to a low point.

Is the well point at the lowest elevation that crushed stone was placed?
They could not run it to daylight instead of using the well point?

Our two states (im In iowa) have been POUNDED in the last couple of weeks... I have no cover on my pool yet and have had to drain about 10" of rain from the pool on to the neighbors yard (thank gosh they are amazing neighbors). All our river are overflowing... I know you guys have had it rough too.. please NO MORE RAIN. Love the project so far.

Looks great..
Did they use the broken stone for the entire backfill?
If so then that is certainly takes care of any compaction concerns.

Is the well point at the lowest elevation that crushed stone was placed?
They could not run it to daylight instead of using the well point?

I'm not up on the lingo, but the gravel you see is what is used for the entire backfill. Insane amount of gravel. The PB was calling it "clean gravel" and said something about it having a 96% compaction?

The well point was dug even lower than the lowest level that stone was placed. It is lower than any other area in my property so there was no downhill daylight they could run a drain to.

I KNOW you feel MUCH better with the backfill done!!! Can sleep better not worrying about that!!

That all looks awesome! Did you enjoy bonding with your new pool while you watered it??

What is the orange ^ pointing at?

So much relief.

Yes, it was fun watering the pool. My 7yo daughter loved it and wanted to help every time.

Not sure what the orange arrow is for, but it is pointing at a water return pipe I think.

Our two states (im In iowa) have been POUNDED in the last couple of weeks... I have no cover on my pool yet and have had to drain about 10" of rain from the pool on to the neighbors yard (thank gosh they are amazing neighbors). All our river are overflowing... I know you guys have had it rough too.. please NO MORE RAIN. Love the project so far.

Agree! NO MORE RAIN! We'd like to have this done by end of July so we can have my daughter's 8th birthday party at the pool and the rain is making me nervous.

I'm not up on the lingo, but the gravel you see is what is used for the entire backfill. Insane amount of gravel. The PB was calling it "clean gravel" and said something about it having a 96% compaction?

The well point was dug even lower than the lowest level that stone was placed. It is lower than any other area in my property so there was no downhill daylight they could run a drain to

From your description and the pics It looks like your PB is doing the backfill and drainage correctly. I would ask the PB for a "as built" drawing of the drainage and well point installation that includes elevations and locations. This will be very helpful in the future if you do have any type of water issues.

I have a question about accent tiles on steps/benches/tanning ledges. My wife didn't really like the bling of colored/glass tile so we are going with a basic tan/cream color waterline tile that matches our coping/pavers/waterfall. I think these tiles would look bad as 2" accent tiles on steps/benches/tanning ledges. Are you supposed to put accent tiles on all of these structures for visualization purposes? Or just the steps? Is it normal to get accent tiles that don't match the waterline tile? Thinking of getting some sort of glass accent tiles for these areas.

Another unrelated question: Friday they did some excavation near my house foundation. Over the weekend a decent amount of water started pooling where they excavated which increased over time. I was worried they hit a pipe, but they said that it was just water that was trapped at our foundation. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

I have a question about accent tiles on steps/benches/tanning ledges. My wife didn't really like the bling of colored/glass tile so we are going with a basic tan/cream color waterline tile that matches our coping/pavers/waterfall. I think these tiles would look bad as 2" accent tiles on steps/benches/tanning ledges. Are you supposed to put accent tiles on all of these structures for visualization purposes? Or just the steps? Is it normal to get accent tiles that don't match the waterline tile? Thinking of getting some sort of glass accent tiles for these areas.

Another unrelated question: Friday they did some excavation near my house foundation. Over the weekend a decent amount of water started pooling where they excavated which increased over time. I was worried they hit a pipe, but they said that it was just water that was trapped at our foundation. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

My accent/step tile does not match my waterline tile. Well, it "matches" in that it doesn't clash, but it is a totally different tile. The step and bench tiles are a safety feature to ensure you see the step before jumping in the pool. Whatever you get should be a true "accent" and not blend into the plaster color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.