New Pool Build in MD!

Hey everyone, we got the initial design and were a little underwhelmed but should have expected it to not meet our expectations right off the bat. We're going to need some revisions and could use some advice. Here is the design they sent over:

Pool Original_small.png
The things we didn't like/have questions:
  • Wanted more patio on the right side near the tanning ledge
  • Wanted to move the tanning ledge to the end of the pool, mostly because we get late afternoon, evening sun on the right side of the house.
  • Wanted the patio to extend behind the rocks so that we could walk all the way around the pool. This seemed obvious to me but now am curious about your opinions.
  • Question: Tanning ledge depth was 18", that seems VERY deep to me. My wife and I in a bit of a disagreement on the depth but are looking for suggestions. She doesn't want a separate step into the tanning ledge (i.e. tanning ledge is the first step). If that is the case how deep could we go before that first step is too high? 12 inches w/ about 8 inches of water? 6 inches of water just seems too shallow to me.
Here is the drawing that I put together and am going to send back to them, I am looking for suggestions, anyone see anything that is going to be annoying or doesn't make sense? I am hoping to send this back to them today. Thanks!

Pool Revised_small.png

My shelf is @ 14" deep (in the pic my water level is a bit low) and 17" from the bottom of the coping/19" from the top. IMO this is the perfect depth. Small kids can play there easily and it is the perfect depth for lounging in the water. This has 1 step to get in. In order to make the shelf the first "step" it would have to be very shallow. My shelf is 10" below the top of the coping and the step is 8" above the top of the shelf. You can also see my depth in the shallow end of @40", which you have as well.

The big regret we have is the lack of a handrail for older swimmers. I did not realize how important this was and to add a handrail now is around $1200.

Your depth of 7' is a "dangerous" depth. It is not enough for diving (MD Code specifies 7 1/2 feet) but enough that someone might want to dive. I suggest you go to a full 8' WATER depth (not just top of coping to bottom of pool).

I also agree with a path all the way behind the rock feature. We did not do this and ended up putting in pavers. This is a path that will be used.

Add another gate to on the other side of the yard. We used the biggest non-double gate available and I am able to get my 54" wide garden tractor through the gate.

I think I like the builders overall design better than yours albeit with an 8' depth.

I don't see skimmer locations or light locations in that diagram.

20190904_092501.jpg
20190904_092523.jpg
20190904_092533.jpg
20190904_092604.jpg

Thanks for the info and photos, the tanning ledge depth is definitely going to be a topic of conversation with my wife. She wants it pretty shallow. I prefer a water depth similar to yours for the tanning ledge I asked her to sit in the tub and fill the water to the level she is thinking. I think she'll be surprised at how little water that is. Now that I am thinking about it I'll put the kids in the tub, fill it and measure too. Hopefully that will help us come up with a good depth.

I would prefer to go more shallow rather than deepr for the deep end so I'll chat with the PB about that as well.

The original quote had 2 gates listed. I assume the designer just forgot to add it in the plans. I'll remind them.

I'll also ask them where they plan on putting the skimmers, returns, and lights. They did mention 2 lights on the house.

We are going back and forth between both designs. I realized that if we wanted to swim the length of the pool, we'll be hitting the tanning ledge and steps on the way back. Not sure how big of a deal that is. We just like more of a lagoon look rather than kidney shaped.

I like the ledge bigger and pushing off to the side into the lawn space. You have a bit of a constriction point between your chaise and the pool - not for your immediate family, but when you have people over. The negatives being that it shortens your swim lane and make one end of the swim lane your ledge. Rectangular pools give you more options because you have the corners available, but I understand that's not the aesthetic you are gong for.

Providing my opinion, which is only an opinion, I prefer the first design because it does allow for a longer swimming area. I agree that you want a way to walk around the entire pool. Could you use the first design but rotate the entire pool clockwise so shallow end/ledge is farther away from the lounge chairs?

While it is stressful (and fun) to design a pool, know whatever you decide will provide you with a wonderful pool to enjoy for years to come.

L,

You want to make sure you see some of the rock waterfalls that have been built by your contractor.. There is not much difference between a great looking rock waterfall and a pile of rocks... Just take a look through our media pics and you will see the bad ones really stand out...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Thanks for the input, we are meeting the PB tomorrow to talk about the changes. Goal is to maintain the large swim space of the first design but to move the tanning ledge so that it doesn't eat into the patio near the house as much, has more sun exposure, and doesn't make it so that your back is to everyone outside the pool when sitting there.

@Jimrahbe good idea. I've seen their work and I have been very impressed. They've incorporated rocks on a design we went to see and it looked very natural but it wasn't a waterfall. I'll bring that up tomorrow. Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure what direction your house faces but if possible, it helps to put your sunshelf on the same side as the setting sun. Since most people will congregate here and look towards the deep end, it will prevent you from having the sun directly in your eyes.

Not sure what direction your house faces but if possible, it helps to put your sunshelf on the same side as the setting sun. Since most people will congregate here and look towards the deep end, it will prevent you from having the sun directly in your eyes.

This. So much this. (When possible of course). Spent the last 7 years trying to concoct some sort of umbrella arrangement to combat the sun. Currently using 2 of those offset cantilevered umbrellas which work much better than regular ones for the shifting sun. But they blow around in the wind and constantly need putting back to wherever they moved from. When they break I’m going to try to rig up sail/sun shades. It could have all been avoided if we planned on the hangout area on the opposite side.

So we finally got HOA and County approval, trees are coming down tomorrow, pool contract is signed, and we are on the build schedule! We had to make some changes to get closer to our budget but I'm happy with what we've decided so far. Meeting with the PB next week to finalize the schedule but we are currently scheduled for 10/18 dig. I installed one of my cameras out back to catch the action and will update as we progress. Thanks for everyone's input, I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions along the way. Maybe we'll be swimming in time to have an April birthday pool party!

So we finally got HOA and County approval, trees are coming down tomorrow, pool contract is signed, and we are on the build schedule! We had to make some changes to get closer to our budget but I'm happy with what we've decided so far. Meeting with the PB next week to finalize the schedule but we are currently scheduled for 10/18 dig. I installed one of my cameras out back to catch the action and will update as we progress. Thanks for everyone's input, I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions along the way. Maybe we'll be swimming in time to have an April birthday pool party!
Nice! The trick about swimming early on a fall/winter build is that plaster shouldn't be applied during freezing temps. And April can be fickle. I remember our PB saying that his plasterer contractors didn't come back north until May. So good question to ask your PB.

Nice! The trick about swimming early on a fall/winter build is that plaster shouldn't be applied during freezing temps. And April can be fickle. I remember our PB saying that his plasterer contractors didn't come back north until May. So good question to ask your PB.
Yeah, our contract has the finish date mid-may and he did say they won't plaster before mid March but even then it depends on the weather. Not very hopeful, but there is always April 2021!

I see many people get hopes up on completion dates. Mid-May seems quite reasonable actually. Maybe under-promise, over-deliver.

Tomorrow is the big day!! Trees are out, design is finalized and we start digging tomorrow. It is raining a lot today but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. Hopefully all this rain doesn't complicate things for tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated, hopefully we don't run into any issues.
Backyard_10_26_2019 3_25_29PM.jpg

Reactions: PoolGate
Had a successful dig, very few rocks and it wasn't nearly as muddy as I was worried about. I ended up making the deep end bench a little smaller and extended the tanning ledge bench. They ended up hittng the corrugated pipe that drained my sump pump to the other side of the house. I was expecting this at some point with either the pool or the trenching. Got a little worried when I saw water pouring into the pool from that left skimmer. Ended up temporarily rerouting it and will re-run when the trenches are in.
IMG_20191028_162837_compress81.jpg
View from the deep end:
MVIMG_20191028_164054_compress14.jpg
Of course the kids and dog needed to get in as soon as the heavy equipment left:
MVIMG_20191028_163417_compress53.jpg

They put the two skimmers on the house side and one light under the shallow end skimmer and one light at the end of the pool in the deep end.

Equipment is being delivered this week and they expect to have the shell shot before Thanksgiving.

Ended up deciding against the wedge bottom. We wanted a deep end for the kids to safely jump. We have a 7.5 foot deep end now with a 3.5 to 4.5 wedged shallow end. Tanning ledge is 12.5 inches. (Water depth for all measurements).

Hopefully the rest of the build goes smoothly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.