New Pool Build in MD!

Lucanjo

Gold Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Bel Air, MD
Hey Everyone, after researching and scouring this site for almost a year we finally have everything lined up to build our pool (and start our own build thread!). We've met with a few pbs and so far we are very happy with the one we are going with. We should be finalizing everything in the next few weeks after our design appointment. The PB had previously sent us a quote when we met a few months ago but some of the details have changed so we'll need a new one. Here is what we are looking for:
  • Freeform gunite pool, approx 600 sq feet, potentially a little larger.
  • Tanning shelf (for the kids to play and to put 2 lounge chairs)
  • Depth from 3.5 - 7 feet, slopped or wedged (looking for thoughts on this, we have a 3.5 and 5 year old but want to plan for when they are 12 and 15, too). We aren't getting a diving board but want the kids to be OK jumping in. I've noticed at other pools, everyone just hangs out in the shallow end, which is why we are thinking a wedge pool that doesn't get too deep. Let me know what you guys think.)
  • Water feature, likely a rock waterfall.
  • Cartridge Filter, SWG, VSP, Gas Heater
  • Travertine decking, about 900 sq feet.
The rest of the post is some pics of the yard, some designs I put together in sketchup and the initial bid. We are looking for opinions, are we missing anything? Anything to keep an eye on or get rid of? PB said we'll probably do a sept/oct dig so looking forward to posting build pics in the next month or so.

We are meeting with the designer this Friday so some of these details might change but we've been pretty set on the basics for a while. I took a few pictures of the backyard that I'll include, the current thought is the pool is going to run longways and be centered on the house.
IMG_20190817_071744.jpg

View from the house: we are removing about 8 trees to make room, avoid leaves, get more sun, etc.
IMG_20190817_0724162.jpg

A few designs I had put together a while back, a few things have changed since then:
1. we are going to fence the whole yard, not just the pool area
2. the pool design has changed, this one was a FB pool we were originally looking at but placement should be about the same.

Pool.png

Pool2 (2).png

Pool3 (2).png

Below is the PB initial bid, I do have a few things I want to change already:
1. Based on research on TFP, going to ask the PB to not install the mineral cartridge, or just swap the Nature 2 Fusion system with a standard SWG.
2. Need to talk with the PB on finish, we want smooth, darker color (grey), but we don't want mottling. PB is a PebbleTec Elite installer so we are trying to decide between tinted plaster or PebbleFina, any thoughts?
3. We met with some of the PBs customers and one recommended we put in an overflow pipe in the side of the pool to prevent problems if we get lots of rain.

Thoughts on the PB quote?

1. Provide material and labor for the construction of one swimming pool, your choice in shape:
➢ Water surface area is approximately 600 square feet.
➢ (1) set of shallow end steps with 2- deep end benches.
➢ Gravel Base under shell included with hydro-static reliefs valves for protection.
Included:

A. ENGINEERING- Shop drawings sealed by an engineer licensed in the State of Maryland and pool building permits. Complete pool layout with opportunity to make adjustments and changes. Complete review of depth profile and pool amenities.

B. SUPERVISION- Personalized supervision provided the owner of the company at each and every stage of the construction with direct access (owner/pb cell) at all times. Includes installation of safety fence and silt fence to help control liabilities.

C. CONCRETE SHELL- Concrete/shotcrete/gunite structures with appropriate steel reinforcing. Concrete deposited on vertical surfaces shall be shot at right angle to surface starting at the bottom and continuing upward. Build up in layers of thickness that will not slump, allowing sufficient time between layers for initial set to take place.

D. PIPING SCHEDULE- 2” PVC Schedule 40 piping for all pools and filter equipment with all-necessary gauges, flow meters and valves for re-circulation system. Piping will be a minimum of 30’’ below finished grade for frost protection. All piping will be cut with a mechanical cutter without damage to pipe. Unions shall be provided where required for disconnection of exposed piping. Provisions will be made for expansion and contraction by way of swing joints or shaking. Piping will be protected from exposure to aromatic hydrocarbons, halogenated hydrocarbons, and most of esters and keytones that attack the material.

E. LIFETIME VALVES- All filter system valves (Jandy Neverlube three-way) and plumbing will be 2” and made of PVC construction for corrosion resistance.

F. POOL LIGHTS- Pool to have (2) two Jandy Product WATERCOLORS LED COLOR CHANGING underwater lights. 2 lights to be installed in common wall of pool to house. Lights will have long cords that will not show JUNCTION BOXES in and around the pool area. Includes 12 different color settings. Integrates with hand-held remote system.

G. POOL EQUIPMENT-All labor, pipe, and fittings needed to install filtration and sanitation equipment. Equipment included as listed below:
1. Filtration, control and sanitizing systems for the main pool providing a 4.0 hour turnover rate for approximately 26,500 gallons: Jandy E-Pump Variable Speed Pump-
• Consumes up to 70% less energy versus single-speed pumps, saving as much as $1,300 per year.
• Completely programmable and customizable with four control system options: Aqualink® RS OneTouch™, Aqualink Touch, Aqualink RS PDA, and ePump Controller.
• Stealth ePump’s ultra-high effciency motor enables cooler, quieter operation and extended motor life.
• Features the largest trap basket on the market for reduced maintenance.
• Includes user-friendly features such as ergonomic handles and easy to read indicators.
• Patented Quiet Technology for reduced noise levels.
• Interfaces with Aqualink RS control systems and the ePump Control
• Includes Stealth wet end
• Energy-saving ECM permanent magnet TEFC motor
• Extra long motor life & quiet operation
• 600-3450 RPM range

Jandy CV Filter Series 460 filtration
• The CV Filter is designed with the inlet and outlet ports on the same level for improved hydraulic efficiency. Using the included Zodiac Sweep Elbow, the filter easily connects to a Zodiac pump making installation simple.
• The Zodiac Large Cartridge Filters feature comfortable, easy grip handles designed to make filter installation and cleaning easy.
• Optional anchor brackets easily attach to the filter tank and mount to the pad to hold the filter securely in place. These brackets are sold separately as an accessory.
• Designed with Zodiac's exclusive Versa Plumb system to easily connect with other Zodiac products
• Extra-large 2" drain port allows for easy cleaning of debris
• Clean/Dirty indicator on pressure gauge
• Heavy duty, anti-corrosion tank clamp and easy grip handles
• Corrosion and UV resistant, high impact extra large tank
• Includes 2" x 2 1/2" universal unions
• Includes a Sweep Elbow (SEFL1002) to easily connect with the
Aqualink® PDA
Remote Control of Your Entire System-Immediately control all pool equipment with a single touch. Manage your pool and spa temperatures, jets, cleaner, lights, heater, and more from anywhere. Sophisticated sensors ensures automatic freeze protection. Heater cool down and system lockout modes keep valuable equipment running smoothly, protecting your investment.
Automatic Monitoring and Scheduling, Automated Filtering, Controls-Allows you to custom program to suit your lifestyle. Monitors status of equipment functions, keeping your pool and spa sparkling clean and ready to use.
Scheduled activation will maximize energy savings. Keep your pool and spa sparkling clean and ready to use. Automatic and efficient filtration cycles allow you more time to relax. Create a mood or just brighten the backyard for an evening swim. Pool and spa light control is effortless and fully customizable from within your home. Automatic adjustment of filtration programs, cleaner run-time, sprinklers, and auto-fill settings to deliver maximum energy efficiency and convenience. No need to adjust settings to keep your backyard paradise in optimum condition.
iAQUALINK™
Intelligent pool control from your smart phone, tablet or web-connected device. iAquaLink allows you control your pool anytime, anywhere. Using our free app for your smart phone or web-connected device, you can control all the elements of your pool or pool/spa system, even when you’re on the go.
iAquaLink can be used on more mobile device platforms than any other pool control system.
• Free apps available for Apple® and Android® smartphones and tablets
• Mobile web-app* also available for most other smart phones, tablets and eReaders
iAquaLink is Easy & Convenient
• On the golf course or on the go, control your pool anytime, anywhere with iAquaLink
• Most intuitive and user-friendly mobile pool controller ever
• iAquaLink can be used alone, or combined with the complete line of wall-mounted or wireless AquaLink® interfaces
• User accounts can be created in minutes, used immediately, and the service is free
• Control multiple pools from a single app
Complete Control - Monitor and adjust all equipment controlled by the AquaLink system
• Pool Temperature
• Spa Temperature
• Water Falls
• Spillovers
• Laminar Jets
• Light Dimmers
• Color & White Lights
• Landscape Lights
• Filter Pump
• Booster Pump
• Pool Cleaner
• And much more
Nature 2 Fusion Soft system (IONIZATION PLUS SALT SYSTEM)
• Easy to use - Quick installation with low maintenance and the convenience of automatic sanitizer generation.
• Compatible - Works with virtually all swimming pool filtration systems.
• Bacteria + Algae control - Nature2 minerals destroy bacteria and control algae.
• The total mineral solution - Nature2 Fusion Soft is an all-in-one salt water and mineral sanitizing system to keep your pool sparkling clean.
• This system cleans your water and eliminates bacteria and algae BEFORE having to sanitize the pool with the salt portion of the system. It is the same technology that is use to kill the bacteria in bottled water.
• Automatic reversing polarity
• Rated to 50 PSI and 100 GPM
Polaris 9550xi Remote Robotic Cleaner
Simply the best robot on the market and the 40 years of development.
• Simple debris removal with easy access
• Large capacity filter canister
• Patented Vortex Vacuum Technology enables extraordinary suction with less filter cleaning
• Custom tailor cleaning cycles to suit your needs
• Thoroughly cleans pool floor, walls, and scrubs tile line
• 70’ cord length accommodates pools up to 60’ long
• Solid, non-pleated blade for more aggressive cleaning
AVSC Main Drain Pool
ANTI-VORTEX SINGLE CHANNEL DRAIN-the SAFEST MAIN DRAIN ON THE MARKET. AVSC drain exceeds the VGB compliance to include meeting the highest ASME/ANSI criteria in the UNBLOCKABLE CATEGORY and has DUAL PROTECTION WITH A SAFETY BAFFLE. In addition to all of these features, the AVSC drain is flush with the pool finish allowing for freedom of movement for automatic pool cleaners but has a flush opening that allows for DEBRIS REMOVAL.
➢ (3) Three hi-flow returns.
➢ Heavy Duty equipment pads that are heat tested/resistant.
➢ Two pressure gauges. (Influent and effluent).

G. INTERIOR FINISH- All interior finishes will be Duracrete smooth white marble (marcite) plaster. Plaster will consist of two (2) parts marble dust to one (1) part white cement. Plaster will have a smooth consistent finish. Two coats will be applied using the double back method. The plaster will have a thickness of not less than 3/8 or more than 1/2 inch.

H. INCLUDED ITEMS- Standard items included with your pool:
➢ All plumbing is 2”, schedule 40.
➢ All pools receive a minimum of 2 Commercial Grade Skimmers.
➢ 3 hi-flow returns are included.
➢ AVSC drain is STANDARD. Competition’s main drain does not allow debris to be removed.
➢ Never-lube valves with lifetime warranty.
➢ All of the plumbing runs are independent, no “tees”.
➢ 4-HOUR TURNOVER RATE. Saves the life of the equipment by triple the others.
➢ Starter kit of chemicals.
➢ Safety Rope and Floats.
➢ Deluxe Hand skimmer, Vacuum, Pole and Brush.
➢ Automated Control System.
➢ GFCI Protected Courtesy Outlet.
➢ Quick disconnect at electric for safety.
➢ Rain damage at no cost to owners.
➢ Pools exceed NSPI building and safety codes.
➢ 48 hour scheduled warranty work guarantee.
➢ ALL PERMITS ALL INCLUDED (Building, Electric, and Fence, plus FINALS)
➢ Complete chemical testing kit.
➢ Complete electrical bonding of pool, deck, and accessories.
➢ Lifetime, structural, plumbing, main-drains and pump warranty.
➢ Oversized steps when entering and exiting the pool.

I. STRUCTURAL- 14” bond beam construction with keyway notch system. Steel rebar installation and spacing are the highest rated with 6” x 6” structural spacing reinforcement to create a strong shell that will last the LIFETIME WARRANTY.

J. MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT- Pool to be equipped with maintenance kit including manual vacuum, hand skimmer, pool brush, test kit, thermometer and two 16’-0” telescoping poles.

K. TILE- Waterline tiles to be 6’’wide band selection from US POOLTILE®, NATIONAL POOL TILE OR CLASSIC POOL TILE. There are over 250 standard selections. (NOTE: Some selections may be an up charge.) Trim tile to be installed in all steps and underwater benches.

L. COPING STONE- BLUESTONE, PAVER COPING STONE, TRAVERTINE, PEIDEMONTE COPING, TUMBLED BLUE STONE ARE INCLUDED.

M. INTERIOR FINISHING- INCLUDES WHITE PLASTER

N. SUPPORT AND SERVICE- Start-up chemicals will be furnished along with owner/operated indoctrination, includes

O. POOL PAL COMPLETE MAINTENANCE SYSTEM with computer CD and instruction.

P. CONTROLS- Wireless remote controller for in-home controls of temperature, heating, lights and timers, etc.

L,

I like the use of a VS pump, a SWCG, and large filter..

I would add the overflow so that you never have to worry about getting too much rain.

Looks to me like you are on the right path.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Jim R.

Reactions: Lucanjo
Nature 2 Fusion Soft system (IONIZATION PLUS SALT SYSTEM)
You do not want this. The minerals can cause staining :( All you want is a good SWG (Salt Water Generator) @Jimrahbe which one would you pick out for them?

NTI-VORTEX SINGLE CHANNEL DRAIN
LOVE this! I hope it is the one you can fill with the plaster to help it blend in with the plaster!

Unions-make sure they are going to be on either side of all equipment to help with service and replacement down the road.

LOVE the valves and home runs for all plumbing!

Have them put a light over the equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at dark time.

-Make sure the equipment pad is big enough so you don't have to play twister to work on the filter and such.

-Ask your PB what test kit he is providing. Not all test kits are worth having. See if you can talk him into a Taylor 2006. Even better would be the TF-100 if possilbe! Here is a link about them: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool If he is open to the TF-100 the link to it is in my siggy below.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Lucanjo
L,

I agree with your statement ..."Based on research on TFP, going to ask the PB to not install the mineral cartridge, or just swap the Nature 2 Fusion system with a standard SWG. "

The Nature 2 "Fusion" is a SWCG on one side and a mineral cartridge on the other... Just leaving the cartridge out will work just fine.. I believe that one of our guides has done this and is quite satisfied... Let's see what he says... @PoolGate

Your saltwater plan looks ok to me,

Jim R.

Thanks Kim!

LOVE this! I hope it is the one you can fill with the plaster to help it blend in with the plaster!
I will definitely ask him about this next week.

You do not want this. The minerals can cause staining :( All you want is a good SWG (Salt Water Generator)
Yes, I've read too many horror stories about this on TFP. Going to have him swap this out.

Have them put a light over the equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at dark time.
Good idea. I'll have to think of a good place to mount this. Still undecided where the pad is going. If it is going where I think the logical place is, there will be plenty of room on the pad and a place to mount the light. If it goes around the side of the house a bit more, further away from the pool, it might be a tougher squeeze. I'll take some pics when I get a chance to get your opinion. I'm just worried the logical place is a little too close to the pool and I am worried about hearing the pump. Hoping the waterfall will drown out the noise.

@PoolGate Thanks for the reply, do I need to do anything special like buy a blank cartridge or install something in there? Or do I just simply not install the cartridge?
It'll come with a blank out plate just make sure the builder doesn't take it. No need to ever remove that plate.

Well thought out. I'd add Pouralid skimmer covers if you are getting a concrete deck. Pour-A-Lid You already have my other favorite which is the channel drain.

I'd also recommend an overflow, unless you go with a $12-15K autocover. Small price difference vs. low hundreds for an overflow though.

What coping are you considering? One suggestion is to see the actual samples of each and check the thickness. We have bluestone coping (which I love though it is hot) but I do wish that it was 2"+ thick. The pool coping is more like 1 1/4" thick, while the autocover cover stones are 2"+ which is a nicer look. And there are 2 finishes (very different) for bluestone. Natural cleft finish (slightly rough) and sawn thermal finish (mostly smooth). See this for a visual. The Four Basic Types Of Bluestone - A Guide From Wicki Stone

I'm going to send you a PM to discuss builders.

Reactions: RoyR
What coping are you considering?
Not sure yet but we want something that we can lean back on. Since we're getting the tanning ledges and at least a deep end bench or two I want to be able to lean back and relax without the coping digging into our back.

One suggestion is to see the actual samples of each and check the thickness.
Great idea, I'll be sure to ask about that. That should help us find something more comfortable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The other thing I could use some help trying to figure out is audio/visual setup. I am trying to plan it now so I can lay wire and/or conduit during the build.
Essentially I want speakers surrounding the pool area so I don't need any one speaker too loud for everyone to hear. I'm not looking to have a rager, just some background music. We mostly use echo and echo dots around the house so ideally I'm looking for something that can stream Amazon music. Also want to have the occasional projector screen up for movie nights and want the audio from the movie to come through the speakers.
I swear my mspaint skills are usually much better but this was a rush job. Here is the crude drawing:
2144045434.png

All the wires will be run into my basement under the deck. I saw there is an Amazon echo amp that I could wire into. Not sure how good it is and I haven't figured out how to get the projector audio to drive the speakers.

Anyone have a good setup I could base my plans off?

We bought rechargeable Bluetooth rock speakers this year at BJs for $79. They had great reviews and we love them for the price. They are waterproof but just as easy to bring inside when not in use. Everybody sits around taking turns with their playlists on their phones.

We bought rechargeable Bluetooth rock speakers this year at BJs for $79. They had great reviews and we love them for the price. They are waterproof but just as easy to bring inside when not in use. Everybody sits around taking turns with their playlists on their phones.
I'll have to check them out. Do you have a name/model? Can you sync them up to all play the same thing, lie a Sonos system?

Dont know if you can sync multiple sets. The 2 work plenty good by themselves if you don’t need an imax experience

Attachments

• 61C09343-646C-428A-B58B-D04C958BA499.png
    61C09343-646C-428A-B58B-D04C958BA499.png
    483.1 KB · Views: 12
I’ll get to this in a bit but lay wire. It’s cheap and u can do it easy now. Leavexall that wireless stuff when it’s last resort. Wire is cheap. Speakers are cheap and a receiver is cheap. I’ll get to this in a bit when I’m not as busy.

I’ll get to this in a bit but lay wire. It’s cheap and u can do it easy now. Leavexall that wireless stuff when it’s last resort. Wire is cheap. Speakers are cheap and a receiver is cheap. I’ll get to this in a bit when I’m not as busy.

Totally agree that ‘nows the time’ and wire is cheap. Was just offering another possibility with the wireless although not nearly the quality of the hard wired systems. It is loud tho

Any recommendations on type of wire to use? Standard copper 14AWG rated for direct burial? Should I lay conduit or just wire? I assume I can Daisy chain the speakers together, correct?

My speaker wire expertise ends at running two 6'-8' speaker wires to my 2 floorstanding speakers.

Any recommendations on type of wire to use? Standard copper 14AWG rated for direct burial? Should I lay conduit or just wire? I assume I can Daisy chain the speakers together, correct?

My speaker wire expertise ends at running two 6'-8' speaker wires to my 2 floorstanding speakers.
I would run 12 for pool and 14 for deck. You will need the 12 forcthe longer pool runs.

I don’t use direct burial. I use conduit whenever I can. I then use a junction box at each speaker to come out of

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.