New pool Build in Lutz (Tampa), FL

The next problem has arrived...our shallow end was supposed to 3’6”, it’s just over 4’ deep at its shallowest. This is from the floor to halfway up the skimmer. PB says this could be fixed by getting the gunite crew back out to shoot more gunite. I’m worried that the fix may be worse than the problem here. I don’t want this fix to cause issues down the road. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Adding 6" of gunite to the floor will not create a problem structurally. Just check how it affects your slope to the deep end and any steps.

Reactions: Werdnaycart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the slope will be fine, but it will mess up the stairs. We have 4, each have a 10” rise. Now the last step would only have 4” rise...how do we handle that?

See if your building code and inspector will allow the first rise to be short. Otherwise they can build up all the steps to be an even rise.

Personnally, I would prefer the 4’ depth. We have 3.5’ shallow end and wish it was 4’. No one hangs out in the 3.5’ shallow end.

I think the slope will be fine, but it will mess up the stairs. We have 4, each have a 10” rise. Now the last step would only have 4” rise...how do we handle that?
Also, IF you decide to go with 3.5’ depth, they should reshoot the steps to even them out.

Now the proposed fix is to float the floor with concrete when they are here to pour the footers for the screen enclosure. They asure me this is commonly done. I’m still concerned that the fix could potentially cause issues down the road. I don’t mind the 4’ depth, but my wife does. It pretty much comes up to her neck.

Now the proposed fix is to float the floor with concrete when they are here to pour the footers for the screen enclosure. They asure me this is commonly done. I’m still concerned that the fix could potentially cause issues down the road. I don’t mind the 4’ depth, but my wife does. It pretty much comes up to her neck.
Haha! That was our logic also. But we are rarely just standing in the pool. Most of the time we are on a float or have our arms hanging on a fun noodle.

Also, when there is a little wind or its a little cool, you want your body in the water!

Definitely starting to get frustrated. It seems more things pop up the more we look. Our contract had listed 2 main drains for the pool. Is this drain considered 2 main drains?

Yes. 2 main drains T’d together is a way to be VGBA compliant. They used a compliant horizontal drain instead.

Yes. 2 main drains T’d together is a way to be VGBA compliant. They used a compliant horizontal drain instead.

Thanks. With the issues that have popped up we're starting to double guess every detail. In our PB defense, they've been great about fixing everything, and assuring us they'll make everything just how we want/planned it.

That is one of my fav kinds of main drains. It is called a "channel drain". The cleaner will not get stuck on it.

PLEASE keep asking and double checking any and all things you see and are unsure of. You do not know much of anything pool and we do so we are here for you!!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Another oddity popped up. We are doing a pebble sheen interior finish, and the color we selected was Alpine Blue with Abalone shell mixed in...My wife has been searching the internet for pools that have this finish and we can't find any reference to Alpine Blue Pebble Sheen anywhere...Is this an old color? Has anyone heard of it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.