New Pool Build in Los Angeles

That first pic is a PERFECT example for everyone new, agonizing over a color choice. Whatever they pick will range in hue from vibrant at lunch to that pitch dark. And every shade is nicer than one an hour before it. (y)

Yet we all had an impossible time deciding between Green-ish Green Green and Green-ish Green. :ROFLMAO:

Good Morning and thank you everyone!

I started doing the chemical tests and then it started raining sooo I may just wait a couple days while the pool company is monitoring it anyways. Wont have any photos in different light for a couple days because it is supposed to be "cold and rainy" the rest of this week and early next week, but I will update as the weather gets brighter!

Reactions: Newdude
Don't ever let rain push you away from testing your water. Just grab a big sample n bring it in the house to test it. Most pools will turn when people think it'll be ok during a big rain. You have to keep the chlorine levels up and if you have blowing debris getting into the pool, the FC will drop trying to oxidize leafy debris.

Hello! We are having an issue with finishing up a water wall that is separate from the pool. I am not really sure of the correct terms here but I will try my best. The builder brought over a sheer decent spout that is about 3 feet wide. To us, it is what creates a waterfall into a pool. We told them all we want is for water to trickle over the edge at the top and down the face of the wall. So besides the fact that the face of the water wall is about 5 feet wide, not 3 feet wide, will something like this work for what we want? They are telling us that we would need to order a larger one that is more money but we aren't even sure it will work for what we want.

They are also saying that because of the tile we chose which is large format, it won't work correctly. A couple problems with this is we asked, anything specific about the tile before we chose it and they said no, then we bought the tile, they saw it and said oh its too large, so its more expensive to instal. Fine, we paid the difference with a credit from something else. They then installed the tile, and are now saying it won't work. To us, that's them on the instal. They knew we how we wanted the water.

Here are pictures of the structure they built. Its mostly cement with a space at the top, and a basin at the bottom. They are saying a pump will be in the basin to have the water go up the pipe on the right. Ill also attach a photo of what we more/less asked for.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 16
Don't ever let rain push you away from testing your water.
The builder is still doing the start up of the chemicals and we haven't had any type of instruction yet on adding anything at this point yet. They are coming everyday and will come until the middle of next week and then we do a pool school to pass the torch! Testing now would really just be for me.

I thought sheer descent waterfalls were designed to (1) create a nice sheet of water and (2 - importantly for you) create that sheet arcing away from the wall...

If all you want is water flowing down the wall, you just need a shallow basin at the top and then let it overflow down the wall. The effect will mostly be dependent on the pump flow. It has to be moving enough water to consistently overflow the entire wall. If the flow is too low, it will only trickle down in some areas.

@KCNM Is correct. A sheer descent isnt what you want if you want the water to flow down the surface of the wall. If thats the look your after then you need to make that pocket at the top a water basin and then as long as you have enough water flow it will flow over the enter length of the wall and down the wall. That will look really cool if you can get it dialed in right.

Thank you for the confirmation, that’s what we were thinking was more of a basin type overflow, but wanted some opinions before we tell the builder they are crazy. Also decided to wait until we had a pool before we really got into it because they are standing pretty firm on their positions.. o_O

Reactions: KCNM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello! :)

We have pics! These are from a sunny morning. We got the SWG set up on Thursday and my salt should be almost up. That back wall should be coming down early April, fingers crossed, and once its down we need to tent our house for termites, and then we will add new fence and plants so we have some green to break up all the concrete.

I will upload the side yard next!

IMG_3763.jpeg

IMG_3764.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3766.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

Here are photos of the side yard. The waterwall works the way we want it to so we are happy about that. It appears there is a leak though somewhere so we have it mostly turned off right now and need to get them back out here for that. The ice looking glass in the waterwall isn't staying. Plants and greenery are on the schedule soon hopefully! Note the wonderful light purple crayon on the new plaster below the bbq... :unsure:

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3769.jpeg

IMG_3770.jpeg

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_4400.jpeg

IMG_4355.jpeg

We just got these "ceramic" fire balls and I love the look so hopefully they hold up. We do need to do some tough up paint on the fire pit too!

Looks awesome! I love it! Where did you find the fire balls? I haven't seen those before. How big would you think they are? 2"??

Thank you! I ordered the fire balls on amazon first because it seemed cheaper (I didn't do too many price comparisons)and I wanted to make sure we liked the look. I used just about 3 sets of these 3" balls, and they were packs of 20. The photo that is lit only had 2 sets, so we ordered more and it now looks like the photo above that is not light.

For reference we put sand down first, some small lava rock to bring up to the height of the gas circle, and then started stacking these. The size of the fire pit is 19"x19" so the 3 inch were great for the space we had. These are the midnight black. They are very lightweight and I don't know how they compare to ones from a fireplace/bbq type of store, but they achieve the look I wanted so we will see how they hold up!

Amazon Fire Balls

What kind of decking is that (that looks like wood)? Wood look tile or Is it brushed concrete?
It is indeed a tile. I just looked at a box and it says it is from Daltile, Color is SD85, Shade is 65009; Shape says 636S1PR and dimensions are 6 x 36 x 5/16. It is a porcelain tile rated for outdoor use. Doesn't seem like it will be slippery, it has a good texture on it!

Reactions: Gladius Nova
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.