Allen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, I have been lurking on this site for a few months and finally decided to post and ask some questions. I love this site and am very impressed with the level of knowledge and detail some of the pros on the forum provide.

We had been getting bids on a new pool build since February this year. Like many others have experienced, it has been a slow and frustrating experience. We were first surprised with sticker shock on the price of pools. Once we got over that we have also been surprised by the lack of interest pool builders have in following up and giving quotes. The forums have been helper to explain the level of supply and demand right now and how that has affected things.

On with my build details: We are creating a geometric gunite pool with spa using mostly Pentair products. After seeing recommendations on SWCG on this forum, I feel good that my builder included this in his bid. My builder has mentioned the lack of supply on equipment and is open to me purchasing any items that are hard to find if needed. This leads me to a few questions: For reference: 32.6 x 16 Volume: 16,000, 2 lights, 2 drains.
  1. Builder quoted EasyTouch and Screenlogic. I have seen recommendations for Intellicenter instead. Would this completely replace the two components on the current Quote? If so, I have been looking online for Intellicenter products and they have been hard to find. Any recommendations on a specific vendor that can supply this and is somewhat reliable?
  2. Builder quoted Globrite lights. Is that the ideal lighting setup?
  3. Finally, any comments/changes recommended for the following components given my pool size: Heater: Pentair 4,000 BTU, Pump: Pentair Intelliflow VSF 3 HP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear 420. Any Vendors I can look at for pricing and stock status?
I hope to post pictures of the build when we finally start the dig (hopefully soon) as I have enjoyed seeing the progress of other builds on this forum.

Attachments

• Pool Overhead 2.jpg
    Pool Overhead 2.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Pool Overhead.jpg
    Pool Overhead.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 53
  • Pool Picture 3.jpg
    Pool Picture 3.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I'd go with that Intellicenter instead- my understanding is it will do more. @Jimrahbe can back me up on this.

Stay far away from Globrites- they have a mess of problems and when you get fed up with replacing them and try to go with something else...you find that the installed niche for the Globrites hardly lets you change anything. Go with Microbrites instead.

@Jimrahbe will have to chime in on question #3.

Look at all the online pool stores- I'd personally look at some northern ones who may still have stock since Texas is buying up anything and everything they can get their hands on since the *big freeze* broke so much.

What depths are you looking at for the pool? I think you'll come in closer to 12,000 gallons.

Maddie :flower:

Our pool is almost 15 years old, so I’ll leave it to others to advise on current technology. Since you’re in north Texas, one thing you may want to think about is a chiller, especially if your pool will have full sun exposure. It was by far the best investment we made in our pool. We added it several years after the original build. Prior to the chiller, water temp would hit mid-90s during the summer and I can now keep it in the low 80s. I don’t know why, but most pool builders don’t even mention them.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
J,

I have the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic.. It does everything that I need and I love it!!!

That said, if I were to build a new pool today, it would have an IntelliCenter, because it is a newer and better system.

I would shop for an IntelliCenter and have a fall back position of using the EasyTouch..

Either way, you want a "package" deal, where the automation comes with an internal SWCG power supply, a cell, and two valves..

Here is a good place to compare systems.. Unfortunately, just like most supply houses, stock is very limited..

Keep in mind that an EasyTouch needs an add on called ScreenLogic to work with your PC or phone.. The new IntelliCenter comes with a ScreenLogic-like system.

If you go to IntelliCenter.com and select "Demo" when asked to log on, you will get a feel for what the IntelliCenter can do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the detailed info on equipment. I will push to get an IntelliCenter if I can get it. My builder has been optimistic about most phases of the build with the exception of the availability of equipment. Some eComm site seem to have available equipment but I am afraid to commit because I do not know if there is a long backorder that the site isn't mentioning. This has been a site I have found quite a bit of the equipment available: American Best Pool Supply
If anyone has experience purchasing from them, please let me know.

Our dig started this past Saturday, June 26th. The crew was able to complete it in one day which is impressive as they worked 14 hours. Steel is expected to be put in tomorrow pending the weather. Not sure how much rain affects this stage. I assume if it is light rain and not too muddy, they may still try and work.

As others have done, I will post some updates and pictures of progress along the way as I have been interested in reading some of the other posts that have done the same.

Attachments

• Excavation 1 low-res.jpg
    Excavation 1 low-res.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Excavation 2 low-res.jpg
    Excavation 2 low-res.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Excavation 3 low-res.jpg
    Excavation 3 low-res.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 48
We have had a good amount of progress since our initial dig on June 26th.

June 30th - Steel and initial plumbing installed.
81172BFC-7A6A-4F45-ADCA-6299CC486D2D.jpeg

July 13th - Gunite was added.
88B8E3E6-17FE-4E72-8B61-F8C44E8BC91A.jpeg

Have been out of town during the gunite but hired a neighborhood kid to water three times a day. We are hoping to add coping and tile very soon. At this point, the only challenge is the availability of equipment. I am told this is still near impossible to find at this point. Has anyone else run into a complete lack of availability of Pentair products in the June-July timeframe?

Another exciting update on my pool build. It is starting to look like a real pool now. Coping and tile installed. Progress has been good but the news on Pentair equipment is not. My builder has no idea when equipment may be ready and I am starting to think we may have an almost completed pool that can’t be filled.

3D5ADEF6-FC12-4CF0-A936-1BAF590D9838.jpeg
052080A6-C014-4B9C-9E16-6A4A443719A7.jpeg
92EFBAFC-3BCE-4ECA-8C45-945C9FFE3A3A.jpeg
E6EEBAF8-2398-4754-B772-35948E397CA7.jpeg

I love that unusual tile choice! Very refreshing looking.

As to the equipment.... I wonder if you call around to some far northern states pool stores if they may have what you're looking for? I dunno... like Minnesota or Maine.... how many pools can they be putting in?? Just an idea.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just in the same situation as you. My PB had received our filter and lights, but not the pump or controls. I actually drove over to Allen to pick up two pumps at Leslie's last week and everything has now been hard wired in with electrical breakers an no automation (to be added later). I'm not sure if you need everything or just a few items, but you might begin to check around to obtain equipment locally or online. We are hoping to be plastered tomorrow, but may end up early next week.

Completely different scenario, as our pool was built in ‘07, but builder was claiming he couldn’t get the sump pump we needed for drainage. I got online and found one in OKC and had it shipped. Saved a month based on what the builder was telling me.

just went through this with our builder. We bought everything on eBay and leslies.

our builder could get the lights and automation

I bought

heater (pentair on their website ) , filter - leslies (get the jacuzzi filter they are in stock)

pump on eBay (pentair not variable speed but we are ok with that decision)
Valves on eBay at 3x cost.
do you have an equipment allowance or is that left off the bud for the time being ??

Also for lights we wish we had done them on the tanning ledge too we have two micro lights in our pool and it’s 32 x 16 as well. PM me if you would like my notes in equipment.

Reactions: jriell
Thank you all for the suggestions, very helpful. I had been looking online but have been worried that items are available but on an extended back order. Sounds like that may not be the case for all suppliers.

Question for OP: how much it costs to add/build a sink at your outdoor kitchen?

I'm in north Dallas and the quotes I have received for adding an outdoor sink are between 5k to 13k, which I think is crazy.
We talked about adding a kitchen but decided to leave that for a future phase and never got a quote. Will post if/when we decide to phase that in.

just went through this with our builder. We bought everything on eBay and leslies.

our builder could get the lights and automation

I bought

heater (pentair on their website ) , filter - leslies (get the jacuzzi filter they are in stock)

pump on eBay (pentair not variable speed but we are ok with that decision)
Valves on eBay at 3x cost.
do you have an equipment allowance or is that left off the bud for the time being ??

Also for lights we wish we had done them on the tanning ledge too we have two micro lights in our pool and it’s 32 x 16 as well. PM me if you would like my notes in equipment.
I contacted an online supplier directly through email and they have most of the equipment I need minus the automation. I think I will try to move forward with this even without the automation to hopefully enjoy the pool end of summer.

I do have to decide on lights and was thinking of getting a color Intellibright and a spa intellibright. I am definitely open to suggestions though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.