NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello - I recently started the process for a new pool build in Central NJ. Currently going through permit process and excavation should begin in around 1 month. Below are the details of my pool and spa combo:

Type: Vinyl Liner
Size: 19'x35'
Shape: Lagoon
Coping: Bullnose concrete pavers
Patio: Concrete pavers

Spa
- 92" Spillover spa
- 8 hydrotherapy jets
- 2 air controls
Equipment
Pump: Hayward Super Pump 2hp
Filter: Hayward Proseries 350lb sand filter
Salt Chlorination: Hayward Aquarite
Heating: Blue Zebra Heat Pump
Lighting: 4 Hayward ColorLogic lights
Skimmer: 2
Dual bottom drain
8 Total returns
2" Plumbing
* see pictures for schematic on construction and plumbing

Other features
- 6' x 4' rock waterfall
- 8' sundeck
- Deep end bench seat
- 8Stream robotic cleaner

Questions
1. How's the Hayward Super Pump? It's single speed and I'm thinking I should get a variable speed pump based on what I've read on this forum. I asked my PB and he said it would cost $1,450 to upgrade to a Hayward Tristar VS 2.7hp. This seems high to me for an upgrade? The pump costs around this amount by itself?

2. Do I need a second pump? My PB says it's up to me. Considering my spa has 8 jets, I'm thinking a separate 1.5hp single pump should work. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-214226_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-214226_Samsung Internet.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20210330-214242_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-214242_Samsung Internet.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 43
I build in NNJ. I avoid built in spas here at all costs. It is so hard to get any use out of them after poolnis closed that it's a waste. They look nice combined with pool, but that's really where it ends. In our climate a standalone spa is king and no comparison in hydrotherapy. I'm hoping your PB explained the fundamentals of the built in spa to you. Otherwise it's a nice size amd sounds good. I would definitely use a tristar, pricing is covid rates. What type of waterfall? Rocks or a sheer descent? automation or what's the plan to control pool? Did PB give you a with or without spa price both ways?

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I've got to agree with Jimmy here, except for different reasons. Have you ever sat in a hard, straight cement pool spa? Kinda dull, uncomfortable and as he said in your case you won't have access to it much of the year.

I love my stand alone hot tub. It works year round.......nothing like steamy hot water soaks with snow drifting over your nose. And in the summer we turn the heater off and the littlest kidlets think its a pool just for them! The spa is nearer my back door which makes that winter dash easy. The variety of seats and lounge spots provide varying comfortable seating. You can even get them with marine speakers and CD players.... very chill ;)

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: jimmythegreek
I agree but it wont be a concrete spa. I know this PB they use prefabbed fiberglass jobs, that's the jersey way with a vinyl pool. Still nowhere near a standalone spa and these are expensive to heat and you need to have natural gas to even think about it, plus some c notes monthly for gas bill

Thanks for the response. Our PB tried to steer us us away from spa but my wife really likes the look of the pool/spa combo. We fully understand that we can only use when pool is open and am okay with that.

PB provided quote with and without spa. Adding the spa cost an additional $6k.

Waterfall is natural rock.

For automation, I'm discussing the Hayward OmniLogic control, which would cost around $4k additional.

If I get the Tristar VS, do I need another pump?

Thanks

Nj,

When it comes to Variable Speed pumps, you just can't go too big.

I suggest a 3 HP TriStar SP3206VSP...

This should allow you to only need one pump..

Obviously, this needs to be coordinated with the pool builder so that everything is plumbed correctly..

We aware that there are smaller VS pumps, but you can always run a big VS pump slower to meet your needs.. If you get a smaller pump, you can't make it go faster than full speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nj,

Like everything in life it depends...

One pump can run the pool and spa, because your automation system will switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode...

If you want a Niagara falls sized waterfall, then you would need a waterfall pump.. If you are taking about a normal sized waterfall, then most 3 HP VS pumps would not have a problem..

If you want to have a lot of water constantly flowing over a waterfall, then it does not make a lot of sense to use a VS pump running at almost full speed to do it.. If you are looking at a waterfall with a soothing sound, then a VS pump running at a relatively low RPM should work just fine.

All that said, it depends on how your pool builder plumbs things..

I suggest that you tell your pool builder how you envision using your pool and see what he suggests.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim,

Thank you again for the response. My PB's explanation to me on how it would work was exactly what you described, except with the 2hp Hayward Super Pump. I'm going to start out with the 3hp VS pump and see how it goes.

Thanks

The tristar will be fine, it's all i use anymore. The only issue is you will likely not be able to use waterfall when spa is on. You wont want to anyway so no worries. Btw 6k is dirt cheap especially covid pricing.

See if he can price you a aquaplus bundle with a T15 cell it's a prologic controller. It's cheaper and plenty for a simple setup amd comes will the salt cell

Thanks. Just researched the Aqua Plus and it seems like a great option, and all I need. I'm going to ask my PB tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Im in Central NJ also, and in the process of building a pool with a similar setup.
I have a 12 jet spa. Just curious why they sold you a heat pump with the spa instead of a gas heater, i would think you would want the option of sending just heat to the spa and having it heat up really quick?
i was under the impression that a heat pump cant do that.

I have the tristar 950 for the pool and a booster pump for the spa, from just messing around with the pumps for a few weeks I would defiantly get the booster pump for the spa.
If you have the money I would also get a vsp pump for the spa jets as my vsp is wayyyy quieter than the 1.5hp super pump used fo the spa jets.
I think the 2 pumps give you more versatility with the plumbing. In my case i have a gas heater and I can use the vsp to send heated water only to the spa and it recirculates spa only, then i have the booster pump
to give the jets lots of power.

Thanks for the response.

Running the gas line was cost prohibitive so the heat pump was really my only option. We understand the differences and will deal with them.

Do you have the Tristar VS 950 Omni pump with the packaged OmniHub automation? Been doing some research and this may been the most cost effective route for automation. I was going to upgrade to the Tristar VS 2.7hp, but may do the VS 950 with the packaged automation. It's basically a scaled down version of OmniLogic. It meets my needs of controlling pool and spa, heater, Chem sensor, SWG, and pump.

@jimmythegreek - Any experience with the VS 950 Omni pump?

Thanks

I've only come across one in the field. I dont really do general pool work mainly new installs and I like aquaplus bundles as it gets you a T15 cell and a prologic controller. I do use alot of the full size tristar pumps, I like them

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.