New pool build, already getting scaling??

How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

Scale build up on tile will eventually happen to some extent with the hardness of your water. Properly managing your pool water chemistry will minimize it.

Typically, we think of scale as forming below the waterline wherein the pool water is supersaturated with calcium and it comes out of solution and binds onto the walls and floor.......again, below the surface.

What you are describing sounds more like evaporation. That calcium will come of easily with an acid solution if you don't let it get away from you.

A picture would really help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, that's from evaporation and especially since it shows up so easily on black grout, I can think of no way to make it go away other than muriatic.

I would mix about 3:1 water and muriatic acid and apply it with an acid brush you can get at HD/Lowes. Make the mix stronger if it doesn't come off with a little scrubbing.

Sad to say, but you may want to get used to that. Hard water, high evaporation rates, black grout, and glass tile are going to be an issue.

I have never had the problem but I think the key might be not to let it build much. Just make it part of a regular routine (maybe once monthly? I just don't know) and it will be pretty painless.

I think the black grout looks VERY stylish and it will certainly hide black algae if you ever get it! :rolleyes:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.