New pool and no support from PB

Lilo618

Sep 19, 2020
Richvale, CA
We just put in a new gunite pool and it is filling with water as we speak. Our PB asked for final payment but we said we will when pool is full and everything is working properly. He told my husband he had no plans of coming back until we said no payment yet. We have absolutely no idea what to do next. I just ordered a test kit, the TF-100 I believe. The only thing I know is that we need to brush several times a day. Any info. Would be greatly appreciated. I am so disappointed in our PB. Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum!
I would not call that normal, but to be honest, PB's typically know nothing about water chemistry.
See Plaster Start-Up Guides - Further Reading. Depending on what type of plaster you had installed, follow one of those guides. You need something to test pH and TA with. Even a cheap kit from Home Depot or Walmart until you get your TF100.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Oh Lisa, I have such a sad for you that your PB is being such a :poop: to you :( Well we have you covered! Look over this link:

This will help you start your plaster up on your own with that wonderful test kit!

Next I have a set of links for new pool owners to help them learn how to care for their new pool once it is started up good:

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemist

Make sure to ask ANY and ALL questions you might have! We love to teach people how to take care of their pools!

Kim:kim:

The skimmer comes with a basket. You need one. It should have been there when the skimmer was delivered for installation.

Good question-it SHOULD have one already. Have the cleaned up all of the trash and such? If not look for boxes and such and see if you can find it. If you cannot then you will need to buy one OR brow beat the PB to give you!

Thank you so much!
Good question-it SHOULD have one already. Have the cleaned up all of the trash and such? If not look for boxes and such and see if you can find it. If you cannot then you will need to buy one OR brow beat the PB to give you!
Ok thanks. I will ask him. He is being quite the Rear since we said we wouldn’t pay the total final payment. We offered half but he stormed off. So very frustrating!

I notice your signature shows well water. Any oddities about your well water? Metals (Iron), high or low calcium, etc?

Our PB asked for final payment but we said we will when pool is full and everything is working properly. He told my husband he had no plans of coming back until we said no payment yet.

Under CA law the contract you signed with your PB should have a section titled "Schedule of Progress Payments", what is the language for the final phase of work?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I notice your signature shows well water. Any oddities about your well water? Metals (Iron), high or low calcium, etc?
It is hard water. We do have a water softener but don’t know if the hose bib is connected to it. The PB added 2 64oz. Containers of Start-Up magic when he started to fill the pool. The instructions say to add it once the whole pool bottom is covered in water but he added it right when we started filling. It also said to test the water for alkalinity, pH and calcium hardness but I’m pretty sure he did not do that.

Under CA law the contract you signed with your PB should have a section titled "Schedule of Progress Payments", what is the language for the final phase of work?

It just states that “payments to be made as follows: to be paid in full upon completion of tile installation or plaster quote

Yes I agree!
What other parts???

Keep digging through the trash. You might find some manuals or other important stuff...............sigh.................too bad he could not be a good guy and just given or installed what was needed!
Yes I agree! The first contract that we signed was pretty much blank except for the standard verbiage which stated that payments to be made as follows: to be paid in full upon completion of tile installation or plaster. And then the next contract he gave us says the final 25% for completion of job. He has been very shady about several things and I could go on and on but it is pointless.

It just states that “payments to be made as follows: to be paid in full upon completion of tile installation or plaster quote

Yes I agree!

Yes I agree! The first contract that we signed was pretty much blank except for the standard verbiage which stated that payments to be made as follows: to be paid in full upon completion of tile installation or plaster. And then the next contract he gave us says the final 25% for completion of job. He has been very shady about several things and I could go on and on but it is pointless.
The other parts were the float valve I believe and the flappy door that goes in the front.

Take pics of everything and we can guide you oh how best install each thing. The flappy door is called "weir door". It is very important in that it helps the skimmer pull in and keep in debris from floating back out.

The first contract that we signed was pretty much blank except for the standard verbiage which stated that payments to be made as follows: to be paid in full upon completion of tile installation or plaster. And then the next contract he gave us says the final 25% for completion of job. He has been very shady about several things and I could go on and on but it is pointless.

The law states "Each progress payment shall be stated in dollars and cents and specifically reference the amount of work or services to be performed and materials and equipment to be supplied". Did you check your contractors license?

The law states "Each progress payment shall be stated in dollars and cents and specifically reference the amount of work or services to be performed and materials and equipment to be supplied". Did you check your contractors license?

Yes his license is valid. I know of another pool that he is building near a friend of ours house. I’m thinking of stopping by there to see if they have had any similar issues that we have. I do not want him to file a lien against our house. I do not have a problem with paying the final amount as long as all of the work is complete and the items he promised are provided.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.