New Pentair light not not turning on

stevenalther

May 13, 2023
Ridgecrest, CA
I just bought a Pentair EC602128 Amerilite 10 Inch 120 Volt 500 Watt pool light. I wired it to my switch and the power goes all the way to the new housing but the light doesn't turn on. I tested the bulb and it works fine. Besides the housing being bad, is there anything I might be missing? I read through the manual but I don't think I missed anything.

I just bought a Pentair EC602128 Amerilite 10 Inch 120 Volt 500 Watt pool light. I wired it to my switch and the power goes all the way to the new housing but the light doesn't turn on. I tested the bulb and it works fine. Besides the housing being bad, is there anything I might be missing? I read through the manual but I don't think I missed anything.
With a known good bulb in place test continuity between the white and black wires. No continuity usually indicates a bad fixture or a break in the cord. It has happened to me on a couple of occasions. That's why I would always do that check before the install. Hindsight is great, unfortunately. Also, check the next points.

Check that the center connection in the socket is making contact with the bottom of the bulb. Sometimes they are flattened and the bulb won't light. With a small piece of stiff wire you can pull it up very slightly to be sure. Sometimes the bulb itself has the solder at the center-bottom very small and it won't reach.

Take a regular incandescent 100w (or whatever size you have) bulb, install in the light while it is on the deck and turn it on. If it lights, the bulb may be bad. I've seen them test good (have continuity) because the filament was loose and, in the proper position, would fall against the other connection in the bulb, only to fail when installed.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I tried bending the tab up slightly and it didn't work. I know the bulb works and I even tried another one and it still didn't work. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean by checking the continuity between the two wires. My electrician knowledge only goes as far as replacing all of my light switched and sockets when I moved into my house.

You need to get a multimeter, put it on the resistance (ohms) function, and learn how it tells you if you have an open or closed circuit. Then test the fixture with the bulb installed as suggested above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.