New Pebble is finished. pool filled last night. No instructions on what to do next.

Mar 21, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone, first time in a long time but here is where I'm at:

I've got a very unresponsive builder, who has never let us know when a crew would be by to do any step of our pool renovation. But, the crews were all really nice and the pool finally was coated with StoneScapes Micro Pebble on Saturday. On Sunday, two guys came over told me to start filling the pool, no other info. At around midnight the pool finished filling up.

No instructions on what to do next. I just assumed I should put chlorine and acid in the pool and begin the process of balancing my water, but I thought 'I should check TroubleFreePool first'. I found the startup instructions here and see that the startup process is a very important one and I was glad I came here.

My question is: how long should I wait before I take matters into my own hands? The pool is full but with no chemicals in it. I have muriatic acid and a good test kit, though I don't know how to bypass the heater. Should I just start now slowly raising my pH and scrubbing? Or do I give the company the benefit of the doubt that they will come back today and begin the process and give me instructions?

How long is too long to wait to begin these pool startup steps?

Just do it. You don't have to tell your PB what you did. He will just find your pool water exceptionally good if he ever checks it.

You say raise the pH. The pH in a new pool rarely needs to be raised. It is usually high and needs to be lowered.

What test kit do you have?

Post a full set of water tests in the format:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Last edited:
Buy a lot of muriatic acid. You’re gonna need it. Make sure your calcium levels are good or it will pull it from your new plaster. Add stabilizer to appropriate levels and keep Chlorines at appropriate level to your CYA and your fine. You will do a dance with the PH for a while which is normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.