I wanted to update some of my daily numbers from this morning's test. I haven't started to SLAM yet because its been storming here yesterday evening and this morning.

FC 6 (down from 13 yesterday)
CC 1
TC 7
PH 7.8

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 20
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
With a sand (glass) filter the SLAM may take some time. Possibly a week or two. But the process is the same. Keep FC at SLAM level until the water is crystal clear, then run an OCLT. Sand filters are typically the slowest at clearing the latter stages (cloudiness) of a SLAM because of the lower filtering capability. But keep your pump running 24/7, brush daily, get into all hiding spots for algae (which for you pool would light niches and ladder), backwash when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

As a note, if your FC lasts more than an hour (or even less) then ammonia isn't a concern. A good validation of why not to listen to pool stores.

Reactions: Em0Abstracts
Hello everyone. Another update based on all the work from the last week. I'm happy to report that my entire pool water is now completely clear and clean, and I can actually see the bottom drain clearly for the first time since we've owned the house. I've attached some photos from this morning, and wanted to provide some updated test results from this morning's water test.

FC/TC: 0 (zero!)
pH: 7.8 (this has been consistent every day)
TA: 160
CH: 250
CYA: 40

Any suggestions on the above numbers would be appreciated. Pool math told me to add 160+ fl oz of 12.5% bleach, so that has already been done (I added two gallons of 12.5% liquid shock).

Regarding my TA, Pool Math suggests reducing pH to 7.0 - 7.2 and then aerate. Pool Math suggests adding 245 fl oz of 15.7% Muriatic Acid to reduce my pH to 7.2, but I have no way to aerate my pool water. I have no air pumps or water features that would churn the water or add air. From what I've read on these forums, it sounds like I'm going to be required to rig together some kind of contraption that brings my return water above the current water level and sprays it over the pool surface. That sounds laborious as all heck lol.

Attachments

• IMG_8360.jpg
    IMG_8360.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8359.jpg
    IMG_8359.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8358.jpg
    IMG_8358.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 12
FC/TC: 0 (zero!)
pH: 7.8 (this has been consistent every day)
TA: 160
CYA: 40

Any suggestions on the above numbers would be appreciated. Pool math told me to add 160+ fl oz of 12.5% bleach, so that has already been done (I added two gallons of 12.5% liquid shock).
Your PH is on the high side of "fine" :) So, you can either leave it or I would maybe offer to bring it down to 7.4 (since you have higher CH), with little to no aeration via the equipment, only swimmers, we can run our TA on the "high side".
Definitely keep FC up at target for your CYA/40 FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Em0Abstracts
Low TA can cause your pH to crash but yours is steady so I would leave it alone.

You’ll have to be the judge, but from your second picture the water doesn’t seem completely clear. Meaning it is not crystal clear, like the pool looks empty with the water still. You don’t mention passing the three tests to complete the SLAM and you have allowed your FC to go below your minimum (in fact to 0). I would not be surprised at all to see another green or cloudy pool in your future. I suggest you re-read the SLAM article. Let us know about the three tests and why FC was zero? I may sound a little harsh, but it’s just a little tough love. We want you to succeed and I see some red flags on Flag Day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.