New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

Thanks for all the help. I was gonna get some ping pong balls today, to help with seeing where the water is taking debris.

Unfortunately, I never made it that far! My pool keeps losing water & I can't get the bubbles out of the pump basket strainer when using the vacuum. Turns out I have a air/water leak on the vac line. The plumber cut apart my plumbing and ran all kinds of pressure tests to confirm the issue. Now I'm trying to get a leak detection company out.
They guys that did my coping depressurized the plumbing system when they cut the aerator pipe to get it under the coping. The coping/decking guys and interior finish guys are the only people there after that happened. I don't know who caused they leak, so I hope all of this doesn't cost too much.

Wish me luck!

Ugh..... Hopefully it turns out to be an easy fix for you
Thanks for all the help. I was gonna get some ping pong balls today, to help with seeing where the water is taking debris. Unfortunately, I never made it that far! My pool keeps losing water & I can't get the bubbles out of the pump basket strainer when using the vacuum. Turns out I have a air/water leak on the vac line. The plumber cut apart my plumbing and ran all kinds of pressure tests to confirm the issue. Now I'm trying to get a leak detection company out.They guys that did my coping depressurized the plumbing system when they cut the aerator pipe to get it under the coping. The coping/decking guys and interior finish guys are the only people there after that happened. I don't know who caused they leak, so I hope all of this doesn't cost too much.Wish me luck!

You have a lot of unions/transitions near the skimmer, have him start there. My guess is a decking guy broke a pipe somewhere.

I'm sure he did! It's the vac line for sure. I have pics of the pipes. I really think the coping/paver guys buried trash in the trenches & something punctured or cracked the pipe when the compacted the soil.

Here is what I found on the side by the equipment. They only ran the drain pipe a little beyond the edge of the deck, so water was collecting there. I tried to dig it out a bit to get the water away from the deck.

No wet spots in the ground anywhere along the vac line pipe run? Leak detection will be expensive. They will push air into the vac line and listen for gurgling in the ground. These pipes are tough, but a pick axe, etc will break one easily. If they needed to dig down to level the ground they might have hit a pipe. Did they put up any forms...they drive stakes in the ground for forms. If it makes you feel better, my concrete guy broke 1 pool pipe and hit 4-5 sprinkler pipes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No wet spots in the ground anywhere along the vac line pipe run? Leak detection will be expensive. They will push air into the vac line and listen for gurgling in the ground. These pipes are tough, but a pick axe, etc will break one easily. If they needed to dig down to level the ground they might have hit a pipe. Did they put up any forms...they drive stakes in the ground for forms. If it makes you feel better, my concrete guy broke 1 pool pipe and hit 4-5 sprinkler pipes.

The plumber said you won't see moisture because it's on the suction side, so that lone isn't under pressure. No stakes or forms - I have pavers. It's $250 for one line leak detection. No telling how much the plumber will charge if it's not his fault. [emoji24]

The plumber said you won't see moisture because it's on the suction side, so that lone isn't under pressure. No stakes or forms - I have pavers. It's $250 for one line leak detection. No telling how much the plumber will charge if it's not his fault. [emoji24]

$250 is really good. The plumber should be cheap and often won't charge for a simple fix as they assume you will complain to whoever broke it like the patio guys who in turn won't recommend him when someone asks for a plumber recommendation. It's the circle of life in pool builds...you fix my screw up and I'll shoot you business.

If the leak was caused by your paver crew, then I would back charge them the amount to detect and fix the leak. This is common practice in construction, even if it's not a fun route to have to take. If you haven't already, I'd start with a friendly call to whichever crew caused the leak and give them the opportunity to make it right.

Hopefully this is a simple fix for you and you are back up and running tomorrow morning.

If the leak was caused by your paver crew, then I would back charge them the amount to detect and fix the leak. This is common practice in construction, even if it's not a fun route to have to take. If you haven't already, I'd start with a friendly call to whichever crew caused the leak and give them the opportunity to make it right.

Hopefully this is a simple fix for you and you are back up and running tomorrow morning.

My paver guy isn't a licensed contractor... he wants me the let his son fix the pipe if it was their fault. Um! No thanks.

I will probably have to eat the cost on this.

$250 is really good. The plumber should be cheap and often won't charge for a simple fix as they assume you will complain to whoever broke it like the patio guys who in turn won't recommend him when someone asks for a plumber recommendation. It's the circle of life in pool builds...you fix my screw up and I'll shoot you business.

That good to know - I have no idea what it should cost for leak detection. I'm sure the plumber will charge something. My pump and valves are butchered!! They have to put all that back together again.

So sorry to read this!! Fingers crossed it's easily fixable. Our leak detection cost 325.00. Of course it may be less expensive for you since pools are such big business in AZ. I do agree with the possibility that the subs will work it out. ?

PS - the Solar Breeze rocks!! Worth EVERY penny!!! I absolutely hate swimming if bugs are in a pool and we have NONE with this little guy. Of course that's when we HAVE a functioning pool and you know, like, WATER, but I digress .....

My husband was furious when it arrived because he thought it was stupid for me to spend that much money. Within 10-15 minutes of watching it work in the water, he was completely besotted. "Robbie" is now his favorite toy.

My paver guy isn't a licensed contractor... he wants me the let his son fix the pipe if it was their fault. Um! No thanks.

I will probably have to eat the cost on this.

I can relate - If you haven't paid the paver guy fully you can hold back some payment, or perhaps you can "trade out" some extra paver work in exchange for the cost to fix the leak...

If it makes you feel any better, I've had some issues with fully licensed and bonded trades and have had top notch service from some unlicensed guys.

I can relate - If you haven't paid the paver guy fully you can hold back some payment, or perhaps you can "trade out" some extra paver work in exchange for the cost to fix the leak...

If it makes you feel any better, I've had some issues with fully licensed and bonded trades and have had top notch service from some unlicensed guys.

Good idea on the trade. I do have some pavers I was going to use to extend my driveway.

I knew that it was a bit of a risk hiring a guy w/o a license, but I'd seen his work & he came highly recommended. It will get resolved. I appreciate your encouragement.

PS - the Solar Breeze rocks!! Worth EVERY penny!!! I absolutely hate swimming if bugs are in a pool and we have NONE with this little guy. Of course that's when we HAVE a functioning pool and you know, like, WATER, but I digress .....

My husband was furious when it arrived because he thought it was stupid for me to spend that much money. Within 10-15 minutes of watching it work in the water, he was completely besotted. "Robbie" is now his favorite toy.

I was looking at some less expensive options. Have you heard about the Skim-a-round?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.