New Owner Build-Live Music Capital of the World (Austin)

The patio crew showed up 7:30AM on Saturday, knocked out the remaining few items and poured the patio. Overall great job. PERFECT concrete weather, around 70 degrees all day. They are back tomorrow to saw cut expansion joints. Plumber can't start equipment install for a week, but rain in forecast all week anyhow.

View attachment 58967

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost there! You may have water in 2 weeks if things go smoothly.

Look on the bright side......Rain is good for curing concrete.

Congrats!

Almost there! You may have water in 2 weeks if things go smoothly.

Look on the bright side......Rain is good for curing concrete.

Congrats!

I'm counting on at least a month. Impossible to get subs out here now and I have an Italy trip coming up. Concrete sub said he's telling people he is 6 months out. Cody pools is forecasting a record year. There are 3 other pools underway within 1 block of my house. Crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patio guys were a no show this morning to cut the expansion joints. No expansion joints + shrinking concrete = cracks. It took several texts and a call, but props to the owner for showing up with his "high school best friend" to personally cut the joints. My OB "I'm getting blown off" RADAR was going off and turns out his crew was in Waco on another job and weren't going to make it back in time today. What did we learn? Saturday concrete pours are risky. You are likely being sandwiched in and the crew is likely busy when Monday rolls around.

Finally got the plumber out today after a long wait. I handed them the plans and asked if there were any questions. I walked away as to not be obtrusive. I am really starting to dislike pool plumbers. They completely ignored my plans and did their own "standard installation". I just looked at it in disbelief when they were done and said I am going to have to think about this. The feature pump plumping is perfect. The intake side perfect. The issue is the return side...everything after the filter. First, the IC60 is plumbed on the pool side only. I pointed out that this is just plain wrong. Second, I have no ability to disable the spa fill, so the spa overflow is always on when the pool is circulating. He pointed out that because the spa is always overflowing, the location of the IC60 is correct. I suppose this is reasonable. Third, the whole point of my additional spa fill line was so I could send a large volume of water during spa overflow...this is no longer possible. I'm trying to decide if I call the owner and have it corrected or just cut my losses and move on.

I may not be too concerned about the chlorinator only feeding the pool as long as you can circulate the spa at the same time. Of course no sanitization would happen when the spa is running solo.

I would not accept that the spa always overflows. You want to not heat your pool unless you specifically want to. Otherwise you will waste heat and money on heating the pool when you only want the spa.

I would not pay them until you are satisfied. You gave him the plans and he did not ask any questions. He should have asked if he was wanting to change ANYTHING. You are in your rights to make him redo it to your plan.

The finesse comes in getting him to do something now and in a way you are happy with it. You may have to compromise a little to get what you want. Make sure in 5 years you are not that upset you did not make home change something.

Fix it. You'll never be happy if you don't.
Ok, I'm reaching out to get him back out here.

I may not be too concerned about the chlorinator only feeding the pool as long as you can circulate the spa at the same time. Of course no sanitization would happen when the spa is running solo.

I would not accept that the spa always overflows. You want to not heat your pool unless you specifically want to. Otherwise you will waste heat and money on heating the pool when you only want the spa.

I would not pay them until you are satisfied. You gave him the plans and he did not ask any questions. He should have asked if he was wanting to change ANYTHING. You are in your rights to make him redo it to your plan.

The finesse comes in getting him to do something now and in a way you are happy with it. You may have to compromise a little to get what you want. Make sure in 5 years you are not upset that you did not make home change something.

Quick correction, I can heat the spa without heating the pool. The spa overflow is always on when the pool is in circulation mode. There is a separate spa fill line that is split on a valve along with the pool returns so when in circulation mode the spa overflow will be on. There is a still a separate spa jet return. I'll post a photo to clear it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope! Just nope! Redo and do it how the plans said! PLEASE do not allow them to get away with this :( There are many reasons you planned it like you did. YOU know how you want to use YOUR pool.

:hug:

Kim:kim:
Email thread ongoing with the plumber, he responded back. The confusion was we had a lead plumber Fabian and his crew. Awhile later a second plumber Jose showed up to help. I gave the plumbing diagram to Fabian (note: I found the diagram in the neighbors yard after they finished). Jose never saw the diagram and I think he is the more senior guy and kinda took over. I told them that I want this done right and if that means me contributing to the valve fund then I am happy to, as I know we are looking at at least $200 in valves to redo it. I doubt they take me up on my offer, but I just want this pool build to get across the finish line.

What's with the huge gap between the pump and filter?

Were these guys drunk? Everything is crooked.
It's not crooked, just the angle of the picture. The spacing is hilarious...I poured the pad extra long to have room for a storage bin and they used the entire thing. They lined the pumps up to get straight shots into the pipes and the same for the filter. It actually makes complete sense in person; however, I wish I had more space between the filter and heater. It's hard to put into words the size of the Raypak. Funny thing is they also put in a bypass around the heater although I didn't ask for one...I need to check it tomorrow as I'm not sure it's correct.

The valves can be reused. Just have them use 2.5" pipe for all the face piping at the pad.

Why should you have to pay for them?

Brian / all,
I took another look at the plumbing...long day and I just got over food poisoning, so hard to focus. Anyway, I think I may actually be okay with it as is. I didn't realize you can move the pins on the Pentair valves to change the input location, so I got confused. This actually takes us back to an earlier discussion on how to switch the spa fill. I ended up with the right option, not ideal as I lose heating without aeration, but I can live with that. So, the big question is the IC60 is plumbed just before the pool returns...are we okay with that? To chlorinate the spa, can I program a spa overflow timer to mix the spa and pool water?

Attachments

• output compare.JPG
    output compare.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 274
Why not move the IC to that section of straight pipe by the heater? You have more than enough room since they chose not to reverse the plumbing inlets on the heater and wrapped the pipe around instead.

It's not a deal breaker to chlorinate the pool only though you'll just be running the pump a little longer to circulate the spa.

I'm sorry Foos...I hate that plumbing job in it's entirety

Why not move the IC to that section of straight pipe by the heater? You have more than enough room since they chose not to reverse the plumbing inlets on the heater and wrapped the pipe around instead.

It's not a deal breaker to chlorinate the pool only though you'll just be running the pump a little longer to circulate the spa.

I'm sorry Foos...I hate that plumbing job in it's entirety
Man Brian, you are making me self conscious about my plumbing job. Seriously, I appreciate the honest feedback. I'm a type-A personality, but for whatever reason I'm not really unhappy with the plumbing. Maybe this pool build has me beat down. Not moving the heater intake is a little baffling. I don't think these guys were familiar with Raypak heaters. I am going to discuss moving the filter over to the left with the owner. It's really tight between the filter and heater for filter cleanings and the gas hookup is not even in place yet. I like the placement of the IC60 on the pool return side (other than it doesn't have 12-18" of straight pipe coming in). The spa overflow will exceed the 80GPM limit of the IC60 and the current location keeps the IC60 out of the high flow path.

Here's a phrase I have yet to use...there has been a flurry of action going on. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow, but I am very excited that the electrician is coming tomorrow and my stone guy started our raised wall and raised planters today. The stone guy has been amazing. Absolutely meticulous and cheap. I met him at the stone yard today to pick out stone and it was a blast...fork lifts running around like crazy, all kinds of action. I could have hung out there all morning. We cherry picked the stone and the blue charcoal Lueders stone that we have sprinkled into white limestone walls looks amazing. I was shocked when they loaded 5,000 lbs of stone into his F250 truck bed. I don't have any experience with hardscape/stone work, so today was actually a fun day in owner build land. During this project, I have learned a lot about different stone types, shapes, etc. how the stone yard operates, etc..and now feel empowered if I ever need to do another stone project. Excited to get the EasyTouch up tomorrow so I can start playing with the software!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.