New Owner Build in Queen Creek AZ - Full Cost Breakdown

danielmark

Aug 16, 2021
Queen Creek, Arizona
Hello everyone.

I'm officially starting my O/B in Queen Creek. I thought I'd make some posts on here sharing current rates and timelines I'm getting from bidders so others can have a good idea of what to expect. Also - maybe people can point out if I'm getting ripped off!

I've only officially had plans for 2 days.
My pool specs are attached
My goal is to build a pool for under $40,000 and hopefully get some use out of it before summer is over.

Current Bids (I will update as I receive more)
A/C Moving Cost: $500 Moving my A/C for an excavator to 1. Get a lower price on a bigger machine and 2. get it scheduled quicker. They will just remove my unit for a day or two and then put it back when the bobcat is out.,
Didn't have to move the A/C, just paid $400 for a smaller tractor on excavation

Layout: $150 - excavator included this

Excavation: $1,900 included wall breakdown. Put the wall back up for $300 (different contractor)

Plumbing #1: $5,400
Plumbing #2: $2,750 (Ended up paying $2,300 from this guy)

Shotcrete #1: $8,720 for my entire pool and will get me on the schedule ASAP.
Shotcrete #2: $5829 for my entire pool but is booked 12-14 weeks.
Shotcrete #3: $6400 fully available
Shotcrete is a nightmare right now - probably will be paying $7000 for this

Rebar #1: $2,567 - unavailable until April
Rebar #2: $1,700 - ended up paying $1,900 so he would double up the grid near the walls to keep the inspector happy which apparently isn't a requirement

Electrical: Ended up paying $3,200 which I think was a rip off but it was the only contractor I found that would respond and also the only one that didn't want to package together plumbing, electrical, excavation

Waterline Tile: $1230 for material and labor, basic water line tile.

Plaster and Pebble: $4,725

Equipment was $4100 after tax. Does not include a heater. Going to purchase the heater in the middle/end of summer for probably $3,500

Travertine Deck: $4/sq ft install + $8.12 sq/ft material cost. Higher cost for coping install. The current total for silver travertine deck + coping appears to be $6,233.20.
Update: This is probably going to be closer to $7000. I paid $4500 for 500 sq ft of Silver Travertine + Delivery.

This is all i have for now, I'll continue to update the process as I move along. When I was starting this I didn't see too many people talking about costs associated so I plan to post all of mine and maybe even the contractors once they are finished!

Attachments

• troublefreepool.PNG
    troublefreepool.PNG
    262.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
A rough estimate - 27' x 5' x 1' (length x height x thickness of shotcrete) x 2 (for both long sides) + 14' x 4' x 1' x 2 (for ends) / 27 = ( 270 + 112 ) / 27 = 14 cubic yards.

Given the normal shotcrete thickness of 6-8" (and I used 1' in the above) should account for the bond beam being 12" minimum. So 17 cubic yards for the quote seems possible. 56 cubic yards is "huge"

Sorry - I forgot to add in the bottom - plus 27' x 14' x 8" / 27 = 252 / 27 = 9

So that would be 14 + 9 = 23 - and this should still be on the high side.

-Tom

A rough estimate - 27' x 5' x 1' (length x height x thickness of shotcrete) x 2 (for both long sides) + 14' x 4' x 1' x 2 (for ends) / 27 = ( 270 + 112 ) / 27 = 14 cubic yards.

Given the normal shotcrete thickness of 6-8" (and I used 1' in the above) should account for the bond beam being 12" minimum. So 17 cubic yards for the quote seems possible. 56 cubic yards is "huge"

-Tom
Sweet! I was overestimating. Thanks!

-Tom
Hey - Would you (or anyone else reading) happen to know why my pool consultant recommended 2 very high output pool pumps? According to my math (and his) my pool is not more than 12,000 gallons. He has qty. 2 Pentair Intelliflo 3HP VSF pumps on my material list. Based on what I've read online I could definitely get away with just having one. Any advantage to having two?

Hello everyone! I'm doing an ownerbuild now with a consultant and just received back my suggested equipment list. I'm not an expert but I think it might be a bit overpowered, would anyone like to share their opinions?

My pool is 27' x 14'. 5' of the length is a tanning ledge that is 8" deep. My pool is calculated to be 11,300 gallons total.
Here is the propsed equipment:
qty. 2 Pentair Intelliflo 3HP VSF - $1,214/ea ($2,428 total) after review, it was just a typo on the consultants equipment sheet! Everything makes more sense now
qty. 1 Pentair Cartridge CCP 420 - $860.05/ea
qty. 1 Pentair Ultratemp 140k BTU H/C Heatpump - $4,160.63
Plus misc pool items like a vacuum, light, etc.

One of the pumps would run about 75' from the pool to the pump and the other would run about 45' (I've attached this scaled drawing and overestimated a bit)
After my research, it seems like my pool pump only needs to handle 25GPM. Those Pentairs seem to be overkill and in reality, it seems like I could get away with just one. Or two of these Haywards. Is there any advantage to having two over one? Is it necessary?

How about the Pentair CCP 420 for the filter?

The other question is the heatpump. For my size of pool would you say 140k is fine? Does anyone here have any sort of experience with the Raypak 8450 or Raypaks products? They are much cheaper
Any help would be much appreciated!

This is my first pool ever so I just want to make sure I'm not wasting money where I don't need to. My consultant is a Pentair rep and I know they make the top notch stuff but I'm looking for middle of the ground!

Attachments

• daniel pool pump layout.PNG
    daniel pool pump layout.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
How many skimmers and how many returns are you going to have?

What size pipes?

Each pump needs its own suction source. You can’t put two pumps on one suction.

One pump should be fine.

The UltraTemp 140 is best for you. You need the BTUs.

Consider a robot cleaner instead of a vacuum.

Daniel,

Talk to your "Consultant" and find out why he is using two pumps? On the surface it makes no sense at all.

I always recommend two skimmers, each individually plumbed back to the equipment pad. Also 4 returns where each one is located in each "wall" or "side" of the pool.

If your consultant does not recommend two skimmers and four returns, then you need to be looking elsewhere for advice.

You can never go too big on a VS pump. The IntelliFlo is considered the Gold Standard of pool pumps.. I personally will never have anything else. The larger the pump the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.

You also can't go too big with a filter. The bigger the filter, the less you have to clean it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Daniel,

Talk to your "Consultant" and find out why he is using two pumps? On the surface it makes no sense at all.

I always recommend two skimmers, each individually plumbed back to the equipment pad. Also 4 returns where each one is located in each "wall" or "side" of the pool.

If your consultant does not recommend two skimmers and four returns, then you need to be looking elsewhere for advice.

You can never go too big on a VS pump. The IntelliFlo is considered the Gold Standard of pool pumps.. I personally will never have anything else. The larger the pump the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.

You also can't go too big with a filter. The bigger the filter, the less you have to clean it.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I actually just found out this was a typo on his end. There’s only one pump. There are 4 returns but only one skimmer. I’m pretty confident in him but after seeing the 2 pumps I wanted to have everything else reviewed, haha.

Well. Haven’t posted any updates because I moved into my new house and got right to work.

Since March 1st I’ve completed everything up until shotcrete. Passed inspection Friday and had shotcrete lined up for this week… well, the shotcrete guy I was going to use stopped responding to me.

Luckily, I had 2 shotcrete people lined up, right?? You’d think! The second guy who said he’d squeeze me in is charging $450/yard and asking for $4,000 to squeeze him in

I’m beyond upset right now. Family from the Midwest ordered plane tickets and everything all excited to see the pool. Not sure what I’m going to do anymore…

Bummer to hear about your shotcrete guy 👎🏻. You’ve moved along quick though. I think it’s funny when people tell me that it takes longer doing o/b and subs won’t talk to you. I have 2 friends from church using the same builder and they are going on a year and their pools still aren’t done.

Reactions: ddoggphx
Bummer to hear about your shotcrete guy 👎🏻. You’ve moved along quick though. I think it’s funny when people tell me that it takes longer doing o/b and subs won’t talk to you. I have 2 friends from church using the same builder and they are going on a year and their pools still aren’t done.
Yes regardless of the shotcrete issue I think my pool build will be done in 6-7 weeks. If the shotcrete guy showed up this week it would have been 5 weeks. I was pretty concerned because most Shotcrete people say 8-12 week lead time on Shotcrete but I just offered a couple contractors $1,000 to squeeze me in and it sounds like it will work

Reactions: Nikilyn
Yes regardless of the shotcrete issue I think my pool build will be done in 6-7 weeks. If the shotcrete guy showed up this week it would have been 5 weeks. I was pretty concerned because most Shotcrete people say 8-12 week lead time on Shotcrete but I just offered a couple contractors $1,000 to squeeze me in and it sounds like it will work
Wait a sec, are you saying 6-7 weeks total from start to finish? Dang that's super quick!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.