New owner AZ, first water change

Follow the FC/CYA Levels

Add chlorine to raise the FC to the upper target range.

Perfect and just so Im reading the chart correctly that would be a 6 for 30 CYA correct? Try to maintain 4-6 FC. So Every day I add to achieve a 6 FC. Or wait till I read a 4 to add? Sorry if these are dumb questions. haha

Correct. When you test your FC, raise the level back to 6 ppm.

During winter and early spring, in our area, the FC will drop by 0.5 to 1 ppm per day, give or take. Starting in March or so, your FC loss will increase. As summer approaches, depending on how much sun shines directly on your pool surface, you will want to increase the CYA level to 50 or 60 ppm to better protect the FC. And follow the chart based on that.

So using the pool math calculator I came up with ~12,000 gallons for my pool, using the average length/wide depth. I just was wondering if I could get a peer check on approx gallons, I added an sketch photo of my pool. Any help is appreciated. The pool in the center of the "bowtie' is 5ft deep and both ends are 4ft deep. Any quick tips are appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• Pool sketch.bmp.png
    Pool sketch.bmp.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 8
I come up with just under 14000 gallons. Use your 12000 gallons and see how the chemical additions match up.

Reactions: jake556
So I chlorinated to bring my FC from 3 to 6 at the same time yesterday. According to the pool math (11,500 gallons) 44 oz of 10%. Read FC today and its at 4.5 FC. So like was mentioned in another post I made, I probably am under sizing my pool.

Add liquid chlorine to raise the FC to 6 ppm, circulate the pool for 30 minutes, and test FC.

What age is the liquid chlorine that you have?

Add liquid chlorine to raise the FC to 6 ppm, circulate the pool for 30 minutes, and test FC.

What age is the liquid chlorine that you have?

It took real close to 12 drops to turn clear but I think there was a hint of pink still very faint, 13 cleared it all the way, so this would equal 6-6.5 FC after dosing for 12,000 gallon, 4.5 to 6 FC. Took 23 oz of 10%.

Really close haha

Looks like i’m losing about 1.5 FC per day. Raising from 4.5->6. My CYA is still low so I added another .5 LB bringing the total to 3 LBS.

I haven’t added any MA yet due to my PH being stable at 7.6-7.7 with my eyes, y’all agree?

Attachments

• 0287BC88-8D0C-411A-B90E-14F15705D4DC.jpeg
    0287BC88-8D0C-411A-B90E-14F15705D4DC.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just checked my TA and it is at 120 this about normal? Hasn’t changed since I changed my water.

TA is what it is. There is no normal or abnormal.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

TA can be forced down by...

TA is what it is. There is no normal or abnormal.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

TA can be forced down by...

7.3-7.4 PH, 120 TA for my fill water, awesome Ill check it out, I was just wondering if 120 TA was “too high” and I should be doing something about it is all.

High TA will cause your pH to rise quickly. Then you'll add acid, which will bring down both pH and TA.

If you want to accelerate the process, you can follow the instructions linked above. Some people need to manage it more actively, due to CSI. If you don't have CSI problems, then you can just let it ride - it will come down over time anyway as you add acid, no need to rush the process.

I'm sitting good right now with all my levels getting into the swing of testing and adding chlorine daily, I was just curious what dictates when to raise my CYA from 30 to 60? Should I wait till spring/summer? Im using approx 1 FC per day currently.

I raise my CYA level back to 70 ppm (for my SWCG) in March. As you are using liquid chlorine, it will be when your FC use starts to rise. I suspect that will be late March early April.

My average loss this time of year has been 1 FC per day, If I needed to leave town for the weekend or a week, how many tabs should I float? Is there a formula to calculate with?

(I understand that tabs will increase my CYA)

With lower water temperature, the tablets will not dissolve quickly. I would imagine even one will have a hard time dissolving in the week.
Best to raise your FC to mid SLAM level or so prior to leaving. As all things work slowly in low water temperatures, I doubt you will see a problem even if your FC falls below target for a day or two.

With lower water temperature, the tablets will not dissolve quickly. I would imagine even one will have a hard time dissolving in the week.
Best to raise your FC to mid SLAM level or so prior to leaving. As all things work slowly in low water temperatures, I doubt you will see a problem even if your FC falls below target for a day or two.

Very good info thank you!

Since my CYA is 30 and the chart says 12 for SLAM, is it as simple as FC of 12 should give me 9 days? 12-9=3 I understand there might be other variables as well.

FC loss is a percentage. So at FC of 12 you will lose the FC faster. But again, low water temperature slows everything down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.