New OB Peoria AZ

No, I don't have a basement. Not sure where you saw that?

In the bottom of your first post...
I’ve finished my 1400 sq foot basement with full bath, electric, plumbing, etc. and this seems way more complicated.

Congrats on the progress! I'm down in Gilbert. Both of my homes (other house is in Mesa) had pools when I purchased so I never had the fun that you are having. :)

Ah! Sorry, that was my house in Colorado Springs where I finished the basement. :)

Thanks! It's an interesting experience for sure. I was intimidated at first, but it's coming along nicely. Some minor bumps with items I needed which I didn't order, moving around some of the placement of items, but overall it's gone very smoothly. I got rained out today so I had to push off the electric and first inspection until next week, but oh well. I'm not in too much of a hurry.

So long as you can get to it and open it .....I wonder if they could and would make easier if you asked? May not be worth the trouble though.

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim,

It really looks worse than it is in the picture. :) I was concerned when I first saw it, but it's easy enough to get to and to remove and replace the top. I would have preferred it was more inline, but it works how it is.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I do have a question on aerators... they plumber put in a couple of lines for aerators that I guess spray water back in to the pool to cool it down? I didn't ask for them but didn't complain either. Is it worth me buying whatever nozzle needs to go on them since the lines are already run? Any suggestions on type? I think it's a 1/2" pvc run.

He also put in an extra return (total of 6), so that was nice of him. I should have plenty of water movement with those, the two venture skimmers, 6 deck jets, and 2 bubblers. I'm going to have to buy another directional return nozzle though. It looks like he put in two drains instead of one, so I'll have to purchase another drain cover. It was on the schematics, I just didn't notice it.

If the aerators are worth putting in, I'll order them with the rest of the parts I need.

When you say aerators what do you mean? Do you mean deck jets? Have a pic??

So long as you can get to and work on the filter it should be good!

Kim:kim:

It's like deck jets but the spray out water in to the air so it helps cool the water down. Here is a link, but I think the one in the picture is visually unappealing and sticks out too far. The idea of it however seems to be a pretty good idea, especially here in AZ. How to Cool Your Pool in the Summer - Leslies Poolapedia

Here is the one I was thinking about purchasing - but do I really want something sticking out of the side of the pool like that? Opinions? I could always cap it if it got in the way, but then it would look bad. http://www.bobewaterandfire.com/aerators/

I'm really stuck on what kind of drain to get. I have two drain lines in the deep end of my pool. I was thinking about getting this one, however it states you just need one and it should be centered. A&A AVSC Drain Single Suction | 552930

I want the drain to be flush with the shotcrete so my suction cleaner doesn't get stuck on the drain. I've read that's a common issue. It also seems like these would help clean the bottom of the pool by sucking in more debris than a normal drain which sits on top of the floor instead of in it. Do you think it would hurt to put in two of these? I'm perplexed with this one. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a nice awning built off the house to protect the equipment from the unforgiving AZ sun would be good addition.

Thanks, that's on the top of my list of things to do. My neighbors equipment is cracking after 4 years of AZ sun, so I'm going to put something up to protect it! Just some shade cloth or something from Home Depot or do you have another suggestion?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aerator. Here is the one I was thinking about purchasing - but do I really want something sticking out of the side of the pool like that?

My aerator is the plastic one like you linked from the Leslie's website but mine only sticks out a little like the brass one in the second link. If the aerator doesn't stick out a little you'll quickly get calcium build up from drying overspray. I always get some overspray around the nozzle. I like that mine sticks out a little to help lessen the calcium cleaning later.

When the pool temps are well over 90 degees in August you can park a yourself on a raft under the spray and still get goosebumps.

PA750.jpg

Always like the way TFP member DoingOK built this awning off the side of the house. Looks very pleasing to the eye and seems like it will keep the elements off the equipment.

DSC06734.jpg

Though not addressing the drain location issue...that is a nice looking drain. I know that it can also be had in a version that can accept a pebble or plaster finish on the top 'lid' so it almost disappears into the bottom.

Hi,
On your awesome XF pump. It will be a lot happier if you have a distance of 5x your pipe size from the 90 to the the pump on the suction side.
Also when you go to start up the XF make sure and fill the pot full of water. It gets real noisy real fast if you don't.
Down side to channel drains is your eye goes right to that rectangle in the bottom of the pool. As a designer, pool artist, and all around liquid shaper, I hate the way they look.
Check out the full circle drain from AquaStar. Its awesome, flat and disappears. See the video in attached link. They are showing it as a retrofit, great for new construction.
AquaStar Pool Products - VGB Series Round Outlets

This looks awesome. We are starting ours soon and my husband and I keep going back and forth between pentair and Hayward. Can I ask why you chose pentair? Our distributor says he gets a lot less call backs to fix pentair heaters...but our friends have Hayward and love it. We are also thinking of using the sense and dispense from Hayward for the SWG... We just can't choose we want it all automated so it would be nice to pick one line we like and go with it.

Raypak for the heater. My friend has a Pentair and is jeleous of my raypak. Get the 406kBTU, unless you have a limited gas supply line.

This Forum seems to have a Pentair Bias (as do I). I only have experience with Pentair, (except my heater is a Raypak), and had trouble with my SWG. Pentair stuck with me, figured out the problem, (as well as a few others here), and I really appreciate that. And they sent me the corrected part overnight. My preference is to never have problems, but it is good to know they are going to back their stuff when you do.

My Pentair Quad DE filter is a really nice cross between a cartridge filter and a DE, with the benifits of both and little of the downsides.

My VS pump is really quiet, powerful when I want, and efficient.

And the automation is (now) easy to set up, adjust parameters, and I like the emails it sends me telling me the status of the system, because I only need to check and adjust once a week, and if anything ever goes wrong, I would want to jump on it right away. I especially like the IntelliPH and how it rins with the intellichlor.

I will I'll also say my neighbor has all Hayward, and has not had as much luck. That is not a big cross section so take it for what it is worth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.