New OB Construction in Las Vegas

vegas27

Bronze Supporter
Sep 28, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Good evening everyone, first of all I would like to thank this amazing community for the great ideas and support. I apologize for not starting this thread before. My excavation on the pool started and finished on October, 15 followed by the plumber, rebar, and electrician. I just passed the city inspection yesterday and hopefully they can start shooting the shotcrete on Monday since they are very busy this week. Still undecided on the tile for the waterline, raised bond beam, decking, or finish on the pool yet. All I know is that I am using Travertine copping around the pool and maybe the spa. So, suggestions are very welcomed. What do you think about spill way on the Spa, do you guys have problems with pigeons or birds? For some reason it doesn't allow me to post more pictures.

IMG_0790 (1).jpgB074BB89-79DE-45F9-BD7F-C8CC8182CFF1.jpg

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Congrats on the pool build...jump on the membership train as you will not regret the decision!

Hi 27! Excited for you about the new pool! And welcome to TFP!! ;)

I like how you have the lights shining away from the house. That's something I always suggest, but you beat me to it! ;)

Not sure what to tell you about the finishes, except to hurry! It's such an individual thing. I tend to like organic, subtle colors and textures. Others like fancy patterns and lots of bling. The sky's the limit. But what I can suggest is that you try to see some actual pools. A showroom somewhere (that's how I did it), or perhaps a pool your PB has built and can get you in to see. Picking colors out of a brochure or from pictures on the internet or from small samples is not going to give you the perspective and color accuracy needed for this kind of decision. I had to drive two and a half hours to go to my plasterer's showroom, so you don't necessarily limit yourself to your local area. You gotta get in front of the real deal.

May I? A couple things popped out at me that I think are not too far along to do something about.

I see in your signature (nice job on that, by the say) you spec a "Intelliflo VSF Variable Speed & Flow Pump." Pentair makes great pumps, and that particular one has been discussed elsewhere here on the forum. A residential pool can't really make smart use of the "Variable Flow" component of that pump. You'll most likely only need the "Variable Speed" features it has to offer, so you don't need to pay extra for the variable flow. Pentair's Variable Speed pump would be perfect for your pool, and save you some money.

The other thing was the 10" shelf. Is that measured from the water line? The depths of shelves is a personal choice, I don't have an opinion about that, but I don't see a step down onto the shelf from the coping. Did you discuss that with the PB? When you add the distance to the coping, that could be another 4" to 6", and a 14" to 16" step in and out of a pool is quite a stretch, especially for kids and us elder types (which you'll be someday). I'm thinking you should have a step somewhere, if not clear across that shelf, that splits that step height in half.

I don't believe it would be much work at all, or expense, to add that step at this stage of construction.

And just curious, how did you come up with a 3' shallow end depth? That's the shallowest I've seen. I have a thread going that discusses depth profiles and peoples' preferences about them. I find the subject interesting. Maybe you saw it:

Sports Pools vs Deep/Shallow End Pools

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your build, and your finish choices. Perhaps if you tell us a bit about your style preferences, folks here can make some suggestions. One approach I've offered to others is to look through your picture collection, or travel magazines, wherever, and find an image of a destination that calls to you. A tropical paradise, a resort somewhere, a natural scene, you get the idea. An image that describes: this is where I want to be. Then hand that to your PB and say: this is my color palette, how can I make my pool/yard feel like this? The point being: you can look for inspiration from sources other than just pictures of pools.

tropical scene.jpg

And just to give you something to think about, you don't necessarily have to pick a tile that is square! This is mine:

edge tile.jpg

Good morning Dirk, I appreciate you taking your time and giving me your input. I got a very good price on those pumps on eBay that’s why bought them. If I known before I would have bought them with a company so that I could have gotten the extended warranty. I had not payed attention to the the step for wet deck. Thanks you for that ��. I was going more towards a sports pool didn’t really want to go that deep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might check with your PB, or directly with Pentair, about the warranty. Technically, I think you have to buy a group of components, all on the same receipt, and have them installed by a pro, to get a three-year warranty. But I think just a pro install will get you their one-year warranty (or other durations, depending on the component, but better than 60 days). I think Pentair is more concerned about who installs the gear, rather than who sells it.

And I didn't qualify for a three-year, because I didn't buy a filter, and didn't even buy all my gear at the same time, buy my contractor contacted Pentair and negotiated with them directly, based on how much gear I had bought that summer, and ended up wrangling me the full three-year warranty on everything. So there is some wiggle room with Pentair, if you or the PB approach them the right way.

Can't hurt to try...

Have you started bonding with it? AKA watering it. This helps with the curing process in your hot sun.

It is time for your own set of links!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Now here is another set of link I put together for how to get the best plaster job and how to make it last for a long time:

How to set up to have the best plaster job: A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes

Brief snap shots of different start ups: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Full run down on the best BUT hardest start up: A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Next best start up BUT it leaves out to NOT put water in the pool Trouble Free Pool away. Wait at least 6 hours after plaster is put in before putting water in! The back of the card is what you want: google "NPC start up card". (I can't link to pdf files for some reason.)

Make sure to share this info with holder of your plaster warranty!

Kim:kim:

When it comes fill time, use the "Meter Trick." Well before fill day, find your city water meter. Clear out the mud and weeds. Right before they turn on the hose(s), go out and take a picture of your water meter reading. Or write it down, or both.

Limit water use during the fill. Turn off all irrigation, take a break from laundry and doing dishes (no dishwasher use). A few toilet flushes here and there, and a couple short showers are fine. When the water is halfway up the skimmer opening (you might mark that with a piece of duct tape beforehand, as refraction makes that hard to see when there is water in the pool), go take another snap shot of the meter. The difference between the two numbers will be your water volume. Which will be much more accurate than trying to calculate it from dimensions. Certainly more accurate than whatever your PB might tell you. If you couldn't control the showers, subtract a hundred gallons or so from your total. Close enough.

You could even do your spa and pool separately. You never know when that might come in handy.

Plug the total number into your signature, and PoolMath, and you'll be good-to-go for testing and dosing...

I like everything about your build, minus the composite equipment pads that your plumber used. Would have been pretty easy to pour a nice oversized pad to hold all your equipment at the same level and not have your heater lower than the rest of the equipment.

With that said, not the end of the world... pool looks great..

At first I thought you were kidding about the engine spray for the pipes! I see now you weren’t. It doesn’t get quite that hot in Houston. It’s mostly the high humidity that makes it feel miserable.

Looking good there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.