New Northeastern Pa Build

well i decided I was sick of my landscaping out front and wanted it to match the back yard when I do it so I ripped it all out a few weeks ago. I got the 1 side done. I only needed to buy 4 plants. I was able to split 6 day lilies into 22 and moved the 5 little limes. SO this side will be all white.

the other side I got cleaned out. I have to buy more for that side. I have the white day lilies that I can split but need everything else. So the whole front of the house will be a white arrangement. I plan on wrapping this arrangement all the way around the house and pool house and into the pool area. I wanted a nice clean look along with ease for fall cleanup. I just don't have the days upon days anymore to baby sit and deal with all diff kids of plants so I am going simple. I want flowers that can be cleaned up the same time of the year. I used to have alot of stuff u needed to trim after they bloomed so I was constantly out there.

Untitled by Jim, on Flickr

by Jim, on Flickr

That's what I need!

day lilies and hydrengea (white ones) are the easiest thing in the world. In the fall take a hedge clipper to take the lilies down to the ground. They self clean in the winter then. and the little limes I go and hand prune them the same time to the height I want. If they get out of control I reset them and take them to 1 foot off the ground. if they are behaving then get a 1/2 height shaping.

ok here are some pics. the sun is a mess right now but I got some shots. don't mind the mess. there is stuff everywhere.

fence. . . ya i don't like it. i mean it's nice and was a good install but man i feel like we are in a prison like i said yesterday.

IMG_1042 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1047 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1048 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1054 by Jim, on Flickr

steps ready to go . . .

IMG_1049 by Jim, on Flickr

some pool house pics. no grades yet.

IMG_1053 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1051 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1072 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1057 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1066 by Jim, on Flickr

kitchen has hood now. it's centered over grill and egg. i needed 72 inches but only could find a 60". no way i was buying 2. better than nothing i figure. 2 blowers though.

IMG_1055 by Jim, on Flickr

chimney. . . the lead copper cap isn't on yet, but step flashing and hog back is done.

IMG_1069 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_1070 by Jim, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

all in all i'm happy. this week hopefully jim gets all the soffits and beams done. then we can get gutters. i know the cap is coming for chimney. maybe make some headway on the kitchen, but i know got 3 inches of rain coming for tuesday. might be a wash this week. who knows. lol

oh ya no fireplace shots cause it's really blocked by material right now.

Thanks not a chimney its a bell tower :)

Jim - Pool house looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the kitchen come together. What size egg are you going with? I'm in the market for a ceramic for the spring, deciding between the egg and Kamado Joe...

Jim - Pool house looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the kitchen come together. What size egg are you going with? I'm in the market for a ceramic for the spring, deciding between the egg and Kamado Joe...

Thanks man.

Large. The medium I think is way to small and the extra large was way too big. Lol

i never used charcoal. This is a total experiment. I hope I like it. If not I have a low self for next to my grill. Lol. I really like my new Weber. I never had a loaded up Weber. Just summits in the past. I can't wait to get it hooked up and try it out. That reminds me I got to wire up the hood to make sure it works.

ok some updates. oh and they r messy pictures. i did't clean up cause i'm sick. been sleeping and playing spiderman all day. lol

they got like 250 brick left and that's a wrap for that project.

hopefully my carpenter gets here this week to finis the beams and soffits.

then clean up and grade and get gutted under ground.

list is getting shorter.

then. . . . maybe do the pavers under the pool house if weather plays nice. i'm already sitting on a good portion of the material.

so pics. . .

36 inch wide walkway. we got lucky. straight in front of u is the sink with access door.

side cabinet and garbage pull out

fridge opening. we even did a return incase i switch them out down the road and run into depth issues so we don't show any of the backstage non finished stuff.

beginning of my nest for the egg. this gets 2 side walls and a limestone base. we had to make a change on the fly. pushed the one wall back so it didn't come in contact wit the fireplace lower mantel. countertop will come out to full depth though.

i wanted corbels out of brick but was vetoed cause lou said every single adult till the day i die will scrape the heck out of their knees and he doesn't want to listen to them so flat wall. 11 inch overhang for granite.

i really want to get leathered granite vs a traditional finish but i have to talk to my granite guy to see if we can get it for the same price though. i'm not going nuts with the granite.

all in all i'm very happy. i'm glad we 45'ed the corner. gave us more walking room and made the transition much softer. glad we kicked back the 1 section to not touch the mantel. glad we made the grill wall 3 inches not as deep to pick up more sitting room. all in all for no fancy plans i'm happy.

jim

I thought I'd have a tough time leaving my house of 30 years at the ocean, to move inland. The first, and pretty much only, thing I think of when asked if I miss the ol' place... my leathered granite counters. :(

Mine were unbelievably beautiful, and I'd run my hand over them every time I passed one, just to feel it...

My little galley kitchen. This pic doesn't really do the granite justice:

granite.jpg

PS. Stainless steel is for... OK, I'll refrain...

I added corbels, but kept them high'n'tight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
this was the first picture. crazy how much we changed it.

pool came out pretty close.

there's what we started with for those late to the party.

that grass line is still there! never changed.

IMG_7904 by Jim, on Flickr

we really lifted the yard up. the pool is at the level of the highest point at the steps. so we raised a good 3 feet.

IMG_7905 by Jim, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

there is the walk down memory lane. i squeezed a lot of STUFF in that yard!

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I'd have a tough time leaving my house of 30 years at the ocean, to move inland. The first, and pretty much only, thing I think of when asked if I miss the ol' place... my leathered granite counters. :(

Mine were unbelievably beautiful, and I'd run my hand over them every time I passed one, just to feel it...

ya my buddy had leather granite in his kitchen. i touch them all the time. . . .

no way wife is going to let me dump the money out there for it. i got to call in some favors to see if he can work something out for me. he is a good guy. he gave me all my profiles throughout all my house for free. cut a bunch of thresholds for all my bathrooms and also a bunch of stuff for our master shower and didn't ask for a penny. sooooo i'm thinking he can get me what i want for the price of a regular slab i'm hoping. maybe it isn't that much more. i thought it was though.

That all looks so good! Very sound reasons for everything y'all did or did not do! Yeah no scraped knees or body parts. That 45 corner is purrfect!

Kim:kim:

- - - Updated - - -

MUST have that counter top Dirk! That is SO pretty, wait forget pretty! It is GORGEOUS!!!

Outstanding Mr Jim! It will be an awesome space when completed. Did you make a built in for the firewood storage?

Thanks man!

Yes both sides of the fireplace. They r 24 inches high and 30 some wide and 24 deep. They r all telling me they r useless cause u can only put one log in each forcthe size wood I’m going to need to burn in the firebox. Lol

the other day I was yelling to my dad to grab some wood up my uncles farm. They r telling back. Just cut a tree down. That should get u 1 fire. Lol
Outstanding Mr Jim! It will be an awesome space when completed. Did you make a built in for the firewood storage?

My little galley kitchen. This pic doesn't really do the granite justice:

View attachment 87106

PS. Stainless steel is for... OK, I'll refrain...

I added corbels, but kept them high'n'tight.

nice! ya that shows the texture well in the pic. that the black brown with some clear more porous areas in it?

- - - Updated - - -

they finished off the brick today. tomorrow i got to seal the frames for the cabinets and get the first coat on the doors.

hopefully my limestone for the egg will be ready this week and at some point we can set it and i'll be ready for granite.

we have the top riser for the steps left and the brick is 100% DONE!!

I have 1200 more square feet of pavers being delivered friday and they r picking up my extra block and leftover brick. i love that they let me return whatever i want without a restocking.

then we do the underground gutter work and clean up the yard.

pavers and then done for the winter!

that the black brown with some clear more porous areas in it?

Not sure what you mean by "some clear more porous areas." I was new to granite, let alone textured, when I picked that out (still am). It has black and white in it, just like my appliances (boo SS!), and big golden-brown veins that pick up the floor and new cabinets. I painted that kitchen three times to find the wall color I liked (it looks like rich leather to me)!

Ding it, you got me missin' my granite again!! :(

And I was showing you my corbels in that shot too (not just bragging about my granite). Pretty much knee proof. Not sure any are needed for your counter, as you'll have some cantilever support going on. My little bar only sits on a 2x4 pony wall, so I needed something to better support the coyote-ugly girls who dance up there.

my buddy's brown like urs i'm pretty sure had these larges white spots throughout that almost look clear like crystal in certain areas. he wanted a lot of that. it gives it a really cool look his backsplash is this frost glass stuff so it plays well with the white crystal arras in him.

oh ya ya i see the corbels now. i wanted to do corbels out of brick but louis said he wasn't listening to people crying when they bash their knees off the brick. this brick is so rough cause it's heavily tumbles and sand blasted. my hands are so ripped up from working with it.

no corbels we are just hanging it. prob will use a piece of metal like i did in my downstairs bar last year. like this. . .

IMG_5480 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_5494 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_2225 by Jim, on Flickr

painting it down the shop totally made it disappear. we had to do something to hold it on there cause it's mostly hanging.

- - - Updated - - -

this was the finished product. . .

IMG_7326 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_7393 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_7358 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_7388 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_7414 by Jim, on Flickr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.